Skip to content

Sido, CMS, JGS and Mascoll leave

2»

Comments

• Thanks @Malone. I had them both in the 20/21 range.

• I know CMS hasn't play for us this season but I would like to put on record my thanks to him for his contribution to WWFC. Wish you well Craig.

• Ps. Will also miss Sido.

• Really sad to see Sido go. Great servant to the club but he was unlikely to get many games. Slightly surprised at Mascoll decision. Looked neat and tidy when he played. I can only assume that Ainsworth has someone lined up. Cannot go into Championship with one left back.

• CMS and Sido have been a huge part of the last few years, sad to see them leaving but ultimately the right decision.

Similarly disappointed about Mascoll. From the (albeit small sample size of) games I've seen him play I've thought he looked like he has talent. I'd have thought he'd be worth another year. Maybe he wasn't happy being backup for another 2 years now that JJ has extended. You never know, 2 years developing elsewhere and then another return once JJ hangs up his boots.

• Got to be the defence that got us up for me. Sad about Sido, but hopefully he'll easily get another L1/L2 billet. But was genuinely surprised about Mascoll. Surely cheap to retain and had a lot of promise about him the few times I saw him play.

• As @FmG says, maybe he wasn't happy at the prospect of another 2 years as nothing more than back-up - even 3rd choice if we bring in another LB. Can't begrudge him the chance of first team football elsewhere - we've benefitted enough from such players over the years. Hope he goes on to thrive wherever he ends up.

• In fairness with Mascoll most of his games were in the cup. He had occasional league games and barely any after Christmas.

To barely play in league one surely means you can't expect much in the division above?

• He barely played in League One because the other chap in his position was having his best ever season for us. Not being quite as good as JJ (yet) doesn't mean he isn't good enough

• I guess now there is (a little) more money to spend, GA has his eye on a more proven, experienced LB.

For that reason, while I thought Mascoll looked good, but I’m not that surprised he’s gone.

• @FmG said:
    He barely played in League One because the other chap in his position was having his best ever season for us. Not being quite as good as JJ (yet) doesn't mean he isn't good enough

The other chap might have benefited from a rest at times if the understudy was trusted, can only speculate on what the thinking is but with the various difficulties clubs are in there could be some very good players after a club.

• @FmG said:
    He barely played in League One because the other chap in his position was having his best ever season for us. Not being quite as good as JJ (yet) doesn't mean he isn't good enough

Do you apply similar logic to Parker for instance?

I'd have ranked Mascoll higher than Phillips, who made many errors, but I think promotion sealed his fate unfortunately. It's a big ask to suddenly appear more in a higher league.

• No, because I was very impressed with what I did see of Mascoll but I was less impressed with Parker (who is getting a lot of airtime today!). Mascoll may well not be good enough for the Championship but I disagree with the logic that the amount he played this year indicating that he "surely" isn't up to it

• @FmG said:
    No, because I was very impressed with what I did see of Mascoll but I was less impressed with Parker (who is getting a lot of airtime today!). Mascoll may well not be good enough for the Championship but I disagree with the logic that the amount he played this year indicating that he "surely" isn't up to it

As always, it's all about opinions, and it'll be interesting to see where he, and all the released players next pop up.

• Surely the rule of thumb here is

• if you're a first teamer, you stay
    • if you're already under contract, you stay
    • if neither of the above, you leave with our grateful thanks

Crude, but I can't see that any of the decisions we've heard about so far don't fit into that pattern.

I expect that every single player we sign will be someone that Gaz expects will improve the first team.

I also expect that we will not pay a penny in transfer fees.

• I will remain disappointed for life that I never once heard a rousing chant of ‘Oh Sido, oh Sido, oh Sido, Sido Jombati’ to the tune of Sit Down by James.

Perfect fit.

• @arnos_grove Had the same discussion with a friend a few seasons back! Glad it wasn’t just us who wanted that.

• @Malone said:
    You just know Gaz and Dobbo keep a list of targets.
    And they've probably had a list for both championship and league 1

It will be very interesting to see who we get in and most of all how the newcomers fit in with the solid core of players who have got us promoted.

• Top guy. Glad he's got a club. Quite short term but he's got a deal which is the key thing.

• They’ll love the guy. Such a character and so much charm.

• @micra said:
    They’ll love the guy. Such a character and so much charm.

Kewell fancies himself as a manager who plays the "proper" way. So no doubt he likes that Sido is a bit of a ball player.

• Those Crawley teams really should have played in the yellow and blue of Brazil.

• Pleased for Sido to find another club, especially considering the uncertainty currently in the world. Met him a few times, and always was nice enough to have a chat. Will remember him fondly for some great moments over the years, but think it's the right decision and a good opportunity for Sido to play regularly. Best of luck!

• Good luck, thanks and best wishes to Sido and CMS, both played a part in getting us where we are today.

• Will miss the eccentricity and telescopic leg that intercepted a ball from many an impossible angle. Hope it goes well for Sido at Oldham, top bloke and great entertainment to watch over the past 5 years or so

• All comments echoed.... Will miss Sido, what a legend he is. Great talented footballer with a fantastic personality. He has been a part of this magnificent team and he has contributed to where we are now. I wish him all the best. Thanks for the memories mate.
    Good luck also to CMS. Showed us glimmers of his superb past and was a hard worker and team player till the end. I wish you well also. The two young guns, good luck lads. I will keep an eye on your progress and maybe our paths will cross again