Skip to content

Chairboys Live with Rob, Missy and Pete

Comments

• A couple on interesting points for me:

• Clubs seem to have been given a steer that a new season beginning around Aug-Sept may be possible with permission to admit spectators up to around 25% of a stadium’s capacity. The club are looking at making ST available from as early as next week on this basis, including details of any refund for unfulfilled fixtures this season. Obviously there is a lot of ifs and buts here but it sounds promising.

• The club are looking into the possibility of putting the games on a big screen for a drive in cinema type broadcast. No firm commitment on this and would depend on it being financially viable. I’m also not sure if they’re allowed to do it given Sky’s control of broadcast rights. Maybe someone else can throw some light on that?

• Thank you for that summary, @Glenactico - that does sound hopeful. Even 2,500 fans (give or take) would be much better than nothing. Between that and a possible opening up of iFollow, perhaps losses could be mitigated enough to help clubs survive.

• I would be very - VERY - cautious about handing over money for a season ticket on the vague suggestion people might be allowed in the ground at a later date. There's been absolutely no indication that will be allowed to happen from government channels. I'm sure we all want the club to maintain cash flow during this period but I think some independent corroboration should be provided that people will be allows in the ground before people part with significant sums of money. It would be easy to take the money now with a promise of a refund later, and then rely on people's goodwill not to claim.

• @aloysius said:
    I would be very - VERY - cautious about handing over money for a season ticket on the vague suggestion people might be allowed in the ground at a later date. There's been absolutely no indication that will be allowed to happen from government channels. I'm sure we all want the club to maintain cash flow during this period but I think some independent corroboration should be provided that people will be allows in the ground before people part with significant sums of money. It would be easy to take the money now with a promise of a refund later, and then rely on people's goodwill not to claim.

So would you buy a season ticket next week based on your views? Personally I think I would as I want to see a strong club come out the other side of this. I can see it being different if you don't have that money but I have at the moment and will do what I can.

• Interesting to hear ST prices are out next week, when we have no idea what league we will be playing in

• @aloysius said:
    I would be very - VERY - cautious about handing over money for a season ticket on the vague suggestion people might be allowed in the ground at a later date. There's been absolutely no indication that will be allowed to happen from government channels. I'm sure we all want the club to maintain cash flow during this period but I think some independent corroboration should be provided that people will be allows in the ground before people part with significant sums of money. It would be easy to take the money now with a promise of a refund later, and then rely on people's goodwill not to claim.

The EFL will be taking guidance from the government on what might be possible. But certainly at this stage it is only going to be a tentative possibility with nothing confirmed until later summer or early autumn.

I’d be happy to buy a ST now and just accept that I won’t know when it might kick in. Perhaps with the option to roll it over to 21/22 if next season just never happens (god forbid).

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@aloysius said:

So would you buy a season ticket next week based on your views? Personally I think I would as I want to see a strong club come out the other side of this. I can see it being different if you don't have that money but I have at the moment and will do what I can.

It's not the appeal for money I resent, it's the spin. It just gets my back up, whether it's from New Labour, the Conservatives, Donald Trump or Wycombe Wanderers FC. I totally accept that cash flow is tight in very difficult circumstances. I want the club to prosper. I want us to do well both on and off the pitch. If our owners were to say that money was tight and launch an appeal similar to the 500 Club, I'd be part of it (just like I was last year, though I resented their appeal for funds made just days before they announced they'd been working on selling the club to the Couhigs all summer).

What I don't like is the manipulation of supporters by asking them to buy a season ticket on the basis that the club thinks it will be allowed 25% of the stadium capacity from the start / early on in the season. This goes against literally every bit of advice in the public domain. You might ask yourself why you're hearing this first from Rob Couhig and not from one of the very many journalists with sources within the govt, the FA and the Football League? Surely news of this importance would have leaked long before it got down the food chain to a Wycombe Wanderers Live event?

• @aloysius so would you buy a ticket or not?

I haven't heard the interview yet so will bear in mind your thoughts when I listen.
    I do find you tend to be angry in most of your posts so I'll be interested to see what was said.

• edited June 2020

No, I wouldn't buy a season ticket. I would put money into a 500 Club-style fund, if that were on offer.

I think putting season tickets on sale now is the wrong thing to do, as it forces people who don't want to lose their long held seats to buy one with no guarantees that games will go ahead in front of crowds. To say they've been advised 25% capacity should be possible paints a very different picture from everything the medics are saying and I would like to see them justify that claim with whatever evidence they have.

• @aloysius said:

What I don't like is the manipulation of supporters by asking them to buy a season ticket on the basis that the club thinks it will be allowed 25% of the stadium capacity from the start / early on in the season. This goes against literally every bit of advice in the public domain. You might ask yourself why you're hearing this first from Rob Couhig and not from one of the very many journalists with sources within the govt, the FA and the Football League? Surely news of this importance would have leaked long before it got down the food chain to a Wycombe Wanderers Live event?

To be clear, Rob Couhig states that there is no firm commitment on a date for the 20/21 season or for the return of supporters. He simple indicates that is the direction he thinks it is going in (I.e Something like a Sept start with around 25% capacity). Of course that could all change and it is only a rough guide, but I’m sure it will have come from information shared at meetings with the EFL. The relevant section on the video clip is about 15 mins in for those interested in the exact wording.

Although I sort of understand your frustration that the info comes out this way rather than through more ‘official’ announcements, I think it is inevitable. These things have to be discussed and consulted upon with the relevant industry groups (in this case the EFL, Premier League and FA) well in advance of a final decision being made. Otherwise you end up in the situation where companies and other organisations complain that they only hear about things when they’re announced at the gov press conference and that they don’t have time to prepare (which has happened several times of course).

• He was pretty clear it's a gamble but he was confident it'll be possible in some way in a few months time. Anyone cautious can wait, you aren't going to need a season ticket for months.
    The Government won't touch this subject until they are close to being able to announce something.

• No chance of everyone getting their regular seat then. And would it be practicable to open the trrrace?

• @aloysius said:
    No, I wouldn't buy a season ticket. I would put money into a 500 Club-style fund, if that were on offer.

I think putting season tickets on sale now is the wrong thing to do, as it forces people who don't want to lose their long held seats to buy one with no guarantees that games will go ahead in front of crowds. To say they've been advised 25% capacity should be possible paints a very different picture from everything the medics are saying and I would like to see them justify that claim with whatever evidence they have.

See I see it very different. Possibly a fans view as opposed to a customer one. I'll buy a season ticket to support the club even without any expectation of being at every game. It's almost a donation as I feel I want to try to help the club build on this season. What I receive in return isn't based on a number of games I see. It's about helping my club achieve success.

• No hesitation for me about buying a season ticket, regardless of whether or not I’ll be able to physically attend. I appreciate it may not exactly be value for money but for someone like me, at the stage of life where I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, living miles away I find it ties me more to the club I love.

I also don’t share @aloysius cynicism about this. It has been reasonably well debated that theatres are looking at reopening with around 20-30% capacity and a recognition that (assuming things don’t get much worse) it will probably happen fairly soon.

If this does transpire it will be hard not to imagine that gl football clubs will be able to do similar. It may be a while before away supporters are allowed however given additional logistical problems

• He does say it will be available for existing season ticket holders I think so in theory nobody will lose their seat as assume it will be a period to secure your existing seat.

• I would follow @Right_in_the_Middle and @bookertease and buy a season ticket regardless of being able to attend.

• If the lockdown continues to unravel at the current rate and the recent protests don't bring the feared spike in infections we'll be able to go to outdoor events later this year

• So would I @mooneyman. We are very lucky to be able to.

On the seat business I was just thinking I would not be able to snuggle up to the season ticket holders either side of me - always assuming (as I hope) that they will be renewing.

• @bookertease said:
    It has been reasonably well debated that theatres are looking at reopening with around 20-30% capacity and a recognition that (assuming things don’t get much worse) it will probably happen fairly soon.

>
    Agreed - the comparison with theatres is the key point I think. And football stadiums have the huge advantage of being outside.

• edited June 2020

Imagine how long the half-time queue will be with social distancing in place.

• I’ll be buying mine the first day they’re on sale. Like @Right_in_the_Middle, it’s not about how many matches I can attend but a statement of support. As someone who lives many miles away, it keep me motivated to travel and meet up with mates - however distant that might be.
    All the usual caveats apply. Very fortunate to still be earning and have spent very little in the last 3 months.

I must be in a minority in it not even crossing my mind that I should get some sort of refund for the 19/20 season.

• It did cross my mind that there were bound to be people who, not unreasonably, would accept a refund if offered. I’m not sure of the exact figures but I suppose we are talking about, on average, £50 per adult plus of course smaller additional amounts for any children over the age of 12. So not insignificant for anyone finding themselves in straightened circumstances.

• I'll be buying one as soon as they're on sale too, even though I haven't held a season ticket in years. Feels more important now than ever.

• @arnos_grove my situation is identical to yours. It didn't cross my mind either.

• Whoops - that was a bit Freudian.
    Vital of course.

• By the way, much as I absolutely love Pete Couhig, "up the Wyc" is a new one on me... Call me an old traditionalist, but "come on you blues" has always been my default phrase.

• ‘Up the Wyc’ sounds like it belongs as a punchline on an 80s sitcom!

• Mission statement for a candle making factory.....?

....and I'll be buying an ST as soon as they are out. 1) to support the club. 2) give me some hope that I'll get to footie at some stage.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    By the way, much as I absolutely love Pete Couhig, "up the Wyc" is a new one on me... Call me an old traditionalist, but "come on you blues" has always been my default phrase.

It's more of an online one I think - although some younger people even call the town 'Wyc'.