Skip to content

Play-Off Squad

The gallery feature on the club website has photos of the squad in training. All the loanees bar McCarthy are present, with the accompanying text saying that their deals expire on 30th June.

Comments

• Is CMS eligible to play for us in the playoffs if needed??

• Excuse my french but. Bloody Wonderful to see the players back at training. I can’t wait till the playoffs. So excited. Enjoy the moment Guys.

• @thedieharder said:
    Is CMS eligible to play for us in the playoffs if needed??

He's contracted until the end of June, but I assume there will have to be some kind of blanket extension into early July, so I guess he would be.

Here's the gallery. Stocko looks to have trimmed down a bit! https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/june/gallery-the-boys-are-back/

• @chairboyscentral said:

@thedieharder said:
    Is CMS eligible to play for us in the playoffs if needed??

He's contracted until the end of June, but I assume there will have to be some kind of blanket extension into early July, so I guess he would be.

Here's the gallery. Stocko looks to have trimmed down a bit! https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/june/gallery-the-boys-are-back/

Depends on how blanket the blanket extension is. They could rule that he's still a Stevenage player if all loans are extended although it's difficult to see how that works when you have an agreed date. We'd have let him play in the play offs for them if they'd made it.
    Can't remember if his contact is up, we'd probably not want to pay an extension if the other forwards are all fit.

• Imagine, though: Peterborough legend who hasn't played for Wycombe since New Year's Day last year scores the goal that takes us up at their expense.

• Definitely not at their expense. They’re not even in the equation ;)

• CMS is in the training ground pictures isn't he?

• Certainly no harm at all having a guy of his experience around.

• Alex Pattison looks in the best shape he’s ever been... could he spring a surprise? I’m suddenly really impatient to get going now, cannot wait for this!

• Looks like Scotty Kashket's been hitting the (home) gym.

• Desperately in need of his locks trimming as it won't go with his sharp suits!

Looks like Scotty Kashket's been hitting the (home) gym.

Normally people say that when a player suddenly looks muscular.
    He looks like he's become a long distance runner he looks so slender!

• Obviously, I'm no fitness expert and it could just be that I've not seen them for so long but they all look pretty damn fit to say they've been laid off so long. I assume Josh Parker has been keeping well away from the squad's mobile telephones as well! :smiley:

• I wouldn't say no to any of them if they invited me for a ride to the upper car park drive-in

• There's no chance CMS would feature really though is there. Would have thought there's a pretty clear first choice 18 assuming everyone's fit:

Allsop
    Stockdale

JJ
    Grimmer
    Charles
    Stewart
    Sido

Thompson
    Gape
    Wheeler
    Bloomfield
    Freeman
    Oforboh

Bayo
    Fred
    Smyth
    Samuel
    Kashket

So that would leave Yates, Phillips, Mascoll, Pattison, Gardner-Smith, Parker and Mackail-Smith in the stands.

Only real debate would be between Phillips and Sido for the back-up defender on the bench and if Parker deserves a spot in the squad but hard to see who to leave out for him.

• Presumably we'll be allowed 5 substitutions (in the PL you're allowed 9 subs on the bench).

• I wonder how many of those players are currently injured (beyond lack of match fitness which will surely affect all of them to some extent.)

• edited June 2020

So if we can't play all the first choice team for both games, what would we do? I suppose if the final was close to the 2nd leg, we would play preferred team for first leg and final?

It's also a little harder to figure out owing to away games not being away games in the sense of atmosphere, only facilities, so we don't necessarily need to play an "away" team or style.

So, how about for the 1st leg:

Rocky (I could go either way on this though)
    Grimmer
    Stewart
    Charles
    JJ
    Gape
    Thompson
    Bloomfield
    Fred
    Bayo
    Wheeler (can't decide between he and Smyth here).

However, if the elder statesmen can't play both legs, we could be in a situation where we are bringing in Sido and Mascoll, with Alex for Bayo, in the second leg.

Freeman and Kashket to be wildcard/super subs, and Oforboh to provide cover for the midfield pairing.

• Paco Craig to score the winner at Wembley.

• edited June 2020

Stockdale

Grimmer
    JJ
    Stewart
    Charles

Gape
    Thompson
    Wheeler

Fred
    Bayo
    Smyth

Next stop: Wembley

• Stockdale (if he has lost some of his timber)

Grimmer
    JJ
    Stewart
    Charles

Gape
    Thompson
    Wheeler
    Oforboh

Bayo
    Fred

If behind early bring on Kashket for Thompson

• @eric_plant said:
    Stockdale

Grimmer
    JJ
    Stewart
    Charles

Gape
    Thompson
    Wheeler

Fred
    Bayo
    Smyth

Exactly who I'd pick but with Fred left and Smyth right.

• If, and for me at this stage a very big if, there is some squad rotation we can never again leave both JJ and Charles out at the same time.

I think everyone will be available for each game.

@eric_plant said:
    Stockdale

Grimmer
    JJ
    Stewart
    Charles

Gape
    Thompson
    Wheeler

Fred
    Bayo
    Smyth

Exactly who I'd pick but with Fred left and Smyth right.

Yeah that's what I meant. Bit of a lack of attention to detail from me there

• Any sort of rotation would be a pretty huge call unless we have the unlikely scenario of a firm lead from the first leg.

Unless Charles is in real pain and physically can't play the second leg you can't risk leaving him out for a potential final we won't make.
    Not now we don't have McCarthy as a reasonable replacement.

• *apologies "might not" rather than won't make!!

• @eric_plant said:
    Stockdale

Grimmer
    JJ
    Stewart
    Charles

Gape
    Thompson
    Wheeler

Fred
    Bayo
    Smyth

Exactly same for me

• Speaking of the players, is it time for player of the season and goal of the season threads yet, now that the season has been curtailed, or do we wait for the playoffs?

• Definitely wait for the playoffs - an opportunity for one or more players to make history.

• Given the massive importance of these playoffs games (financially as well as in general) it seems strange that we wouldn’t pay for a few more weeks of McCarthy. Unless he wasn’t fit, maybe?