Skip to content

EFL League One Statement 21/05/2020

Comments

• If we're in the play-offs and they take place, we'll be playing.

• I think we should take the moral high ground withdraw and let Peterborough into the play offs in our place. Their chairman seems such a pleasant fellow it seems the gentlemanly thing to do.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@johnthehair said:
    I still find it difficult to understand that social distances state we stay 2 metres apart yet we are are talking about playing football. Over 300 people died in the last 24 hours from Covid 19.

Will be very interesting sight to see a team defending a free kick from 20 yards out with a 2 meter gap between each defender!!!

This quote from the Tranmere chairman amused me I’m ashamed to admit

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/may/21/our-defenders-have-been-socially-distancing-all-season-keeping-tranmere-rovers-alive?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• I like Tranmere.

• Wonder if the bookies will pay out on my Wycombe to win League One bet each way if PPG sees us finish third?

• Very interesting viewing the Tranmere piece. Realistically I cannot see how teams can play without fans, and furlough is probably the only thing that has stopped clubs going to the wall.
    Unless the EFL, TB or Prem pay wages instead of clubs, replacing the furlough scheme, I just don't see how we can play behind closed doors.
    Perhaps the best solution is to keep this season on hold, cancel next season. Finish this season at some point next season and then everyone starts up again in 2021/2022 when hopefully there is a vaccine...

• Problem with that though is clubs would basically lose out on an entire year of season ticket sales etc. Many, if not most, would go to the wall.

• @Commoner said:
    Very interesting viewing the Tranmere piece. Realistically I cannot see how teams can play without fans, and furlough is probably the only thing that has stopped clubs going to the wall.
    Unless the EFL, TB or Prem pay wages instead of clubs, replacing the furlough scheme, I just don't see how we can play behind closed doors.
    Perhaps the best solution is to keep this season on hold, cancel next season. Finish this season at some point next season and then everyone starts up again in 2021/2022 when hopefully there is a vaccine...

Cancelling a whole season?
    So players maybe have 8-9 games each? What do they do the rest of the year? Who funds it?
    Half the clubs would go to the wall unless you're expecting the league or premier to pay everyone's bill!

• @fredk333 said:
    Wonder if the bookies will pay out on my Wycombe to win League One bet each way if PPG sees us finish third?

They certainly should do and expect they will.

• I am not sure more than 20% of clubs in League One and Two could complete the whole of next season if anymore than 3 games in a row had to be played behind closed doors.

A lot of clubs will almost certainly go to the wall. It would be interesting to know how many clubs would not be able to pay wages immediately if they come out of furlough as well. I'm reasonably certain this is why a number of clubs do not want to get the season started again and also have not gone bust already.
    Isn't there also a rule in place that says you have to be able to guarantee you have enough money to complete the season before your registration will be accepted by the EFL?
    In no way would I want this to happen but at some point the economics is going to takeover. I can see one of the viable options for lower leagues is making everyone redundant for 20/21 season en masse, reducing all outgoings as much as possible and then starting up again when it is safe to do so and re-employing staff once they know there is a vaccine. There had been talk of all clubs going into mass administration and then starting up again a few months ago.
    I just don't see how clubs can survive paying wages, medical tests etc and have no income.
    It would be interesting to know how much money would be needed to run lower league teams for one season with no playing staff, no non essential staff, no games and just to be able to maintain pitch, stadium etc and pay rates. My assumption is that would be the best economic option for most teams...and also the cheapest option for the EFL / government to be able to support until we can start again safely.
    If that means we lose this season and next, then I'd much rather do that than lose one club to bankruptcy.

• Theatres are looking at re-opening with about 30% capacity so i could see a situation where some sort of reopening is possible at lower league levels with reduced crowds, although obviously some logistical problems to sort about turnstiles, queues for the toilets, etc... No forget that idea

• Any news on season ticket refund protocol if the season gets cancelled? I'd say that would be a big decider on clubs short term futures.

• I do hope most people, I do appreciate everyone's circumstances are different, say to their respective clubs to keep any season ticket money & refunds won't be required.. Maybe the diference between your club staying afloat or not. I wont be asking for any refund..

• Agree @WidmerWanderer I could do with the money but I won't be asking for a refund.

• Likewise. I don't expect to have a job of much worth at the end of this. I won't be asking for a refund either.

• Imagine how you'd feel if you insisted on your £30-50 refund and then the club went bust!

• Maybe you could sue them for it @Right_in_the_Middle

• Might sound a bit " I'm alright jack", but I really can't see many demanding a refund at wycombe.

Our tickets are pretty cheap as it is, noone can say they haven't had their moneys worth already this season tbh, and a refund will only be £40-50 no? Obviously there will be some who need that cash, especially families, but that percentage cant be high

• there's a bigger question, I'd have thought, about whether the club should offer 2021/22 STs in the short-term. On the one hand, that would provide cash and allow fans to show support at a difficult time. On the other, the club has no idea what next division we will be in next season, nor indeed whether there will be a next season.

• @Malone said:
    Imagine how you'd feel if you insisted on your £30-50 refund and then the club went bust

Indeed. No refund here and not for many I suspect. How would we feel if invited to buy a season ticket for next year but with no guarantee we would be able to attend all games?

• @our_frank said:
    there's a bigger question, I'd have thought, about whether the club should offer 2021/22 STs in the short-term. On the one hand, that would provide cash and allow fans to show support at a difficult time. On the other, the club has no idea what next division we will be in next season, nor indeed whether there will be a next season.

The EFL will have to give guidance to its members as a whole.

I'm expecting clubs to be working on the assumption that there'll be no fans till January, so I follow passes for half a season, then half season tickets.

• My family and friends have season tickets at Everton and they have a few options in regards to refunds etc....

1, get a refund which will be around £150 each.

2, have the money knocked off your season ticket for next season.

3, donate it to the Everton In the Community Charity.

All very fair options in my opinion.

As for us being promoted I'd love to do it by winning games but if we don't have the option of doing that and the league declare us 3rd then I'd be more than happy to be in the championship next season.

• Shrewsbury also supporting curtailment saying potential £2m loss of income if unable to play behind closed doors before January.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2020/may/a-message-from-brian-caldwell/

• "we are looking at a cost of around £500k+ to facilitate the remaining Sky Bet League One matches"

Awkward for Darragh MacAnthony...

• @Manboobs said:

@Malone said:
    Imagine how you'd feel if you insisted on your £30-50 refund and then the club went bust

Indeed. No refund here and not for many I suspect. How would we feel if invited to buy a season ticket for next year but with no guarantee we would be able to attend all games?

I would say i'd think the club would offer some sort of discount for next season - mixed in with expecting the price to go up anyway, let alone if we did hit the championship.

But it's just totally up in the air.
    It's difficult to offer a STH, when all advice suggests there's no chance of at least half a season of physical attendance.

I'd suspect the only option is along the lines of @Username's Ifollow idea.
    But even then it's such an unknown that maybe they'll pitch it as the usual £10 per game, but maybe a bit cheaper per month / 2months etc.

Even half a year would be a risk, in case it's back up? It's so difficult.

• @drcongo said:
    Maybe you could sue them for it @Right_in_the_Middle

Unnecessarily aggressive

• It's ok to change your mind, but he certainly needs to think through what he's being so adamant about.
    But that's the problem with social media - it's out there immediately.

• It’s called operating the mouth before engaging the brain and in my business I should know all about that.

• Maybe we can all just keep retweeting it back at him?