Skip to content

Sky propose mini 8 team tournament for Lg1 & 2 for promotion

Comments

• edited April 2020

This line below shows whoever wrote it is an absolute dolt.

"Under the mini-tournament plan, Wycombe Wanderers, presently eighth in League One, could be promoted to the Championship, despite being eight points behind league leaders Coventry City at the moment".

We're a game in hand, and 3 points off 2nd for goodness sake.

• Given our results against the top teams this season, and the fixtures we still had to play, this would be an absolutely disastrous outcome for us. If they can't complete for the full season for all 23 teams, I'd much rather see the season scrapped.

• This could work for L1, considering how tight it was, though I would feel sorry for Coventry, who looked set to pull away.

I would hope it is seeded on PPG, otherwise we would get them out of the gate!

• Ain't going to happen. Crackpot idea, especially with the sad increase in deaths today.

• @Shev said:
    This could work for L1, considering how tight it was, though I would feel sorry for Coventry, who looked set to pull away.

I would hope it is seeded on PPG, otherwise we would get them out of the gate!

They'd surely have to stagger the "tournament" so that Coventry came in later.

The playoffs are seen as unfair by many, but you can't have the team 1st, with a 5-6 point lead over 3rd going out early!

• @mooneyman said:
    Ain't going to happen. Crackpot idea, especially with the sad increase in deaths today.

It would not surprise me if you are right, though I can see the argument for deciding it in 6 games at neutral venues over 3-4 days, as opposed to the massive amount of remaining games. It could be completed very quickly, though I agree with @Malone that it would be more fair for Coventry to have a bye:

Coventry 2-0 Sunderland
    Rotherham 1-2 Peterborough
    Wycombe 2-1 Fleetwood
    Oxford 2-0 Portmouth

Coventry 3-1 Oxford
    Peterborough 2-3 Wycombe

Coventry and Wycombe are promoted. (You could also have a 7th game for the trophy, which of course we would win).

• Also, the article appears to state that the idea was put forward at a meeting between club captains and the EFL, so this could come from Bloomers, for all we know!

• I think the main takeaway for me from this is the clear message, backed up by virtually every other recent speculative article I’ve read, that there will be no teams relegated.

That means it’s unrealistic to see more than two teams added to any division, which puts to bed the possibility that we could be promoted on PPG.

• How the heck you can have promotions without relegations i do not know.
    I thought people were keen on the "integrity" remaining.
    But i guess integrity in this setting has the add on, in the proposer's opinion.

The only way it would make sense is if league 2 have their usual 3 automatic ups still. Meaning we lose two from league one and get a full 24 again.
    But would 3 go up from non league or just one? Meaning they go to 22? That'd still be preferable to odd numbers.

Premier league with 22 would be odd with probably less time to complete next season. And why should say Wbrom go up when they only have 6 points over 3rd. Yet Norwich, 6 points adrift get away with a fairly likely relegation?

• Are the Prem going to accept a larger division when it'll probably kick off late? Might only be a goer if European or international football went for a year but FIFA and UEFA will want there coin.
    Some merit perhaps in play offs to let clubs not involved not have to arrange dead rubbers behind closed doors at large expense and inconvenience, and potential risk to health.

• This thread proves how difficult it is to deal with the problems this virus has caused just for one sport. Just imagine having to make the far more important and complex decisions the authorities have had to make that impact every single person in the country.

• Or fail miserably to make @glasshalffull? ?
    There is plenty of ppe. Ppe is reaching all the places it should. We're trying hard to get the ppe to where its needed. Them bleddy nurses are using up all the ppe!!

• Doesn’t look like they will promote three teams does it?

• All football banned in France until September. They are meeting next month to agree way of determining outcome of leagues.

Probably a sensible decision, and I have a feeling we will follow suit.

• I don't think there's any chance of any more games at our level, but I wonder if the premier league might stubbornly try and finish their season BCD.

• @Malone said:
    I don't think there's any chance of any more games at our level, but I wonder if the premier league might stubbornly try and finish their season BCD.

I think the Premier League will definately play out the season in the summer and if they do I think we will too. Still think we should wait and continue this season we it's possible, even if that means after Christmas.

• Gaz just mentioned on a podcast that if people want to start up the league again behind closed doors in addition to the income dropping we might struggle as a few of our key players can't do two games a week regularly, apparently we only had one Tuesday left in the old fixture list. Many more important considerations but difficult to see anyone being happy at this point with any of the various suggestions.

• I think all the leagues will end up being abandoned

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:
    I don't think there's any chance of any more games at our level, but I wonder if the premier league might stubbornly try and finish their season BCD.

I think the Premier League will definately play out the season in the summer and if they do I think we will too. Still think we should wait and continue this season we it's possible, even if that means after Christmas.

The Premier league has an incredible sum of money riding on it. Leagues 1 and 2 much less so. We'll go the way of the non leagues as in we're done.
    Will they void it, or will they mess about trying to work out who to relegate and promote. That's the only question.

• There are a couple of seasons I can recall where voiding would have been welcome...sadly this one isn't one of them. What a shame.

• @Wendoverman said:
    There are a couple of seasons I can recall where voiding would have been welcome...sadly this one isn't one of them. What a shame.

In a football context it's an absolute sprinting run up and kick in the balls.

Some teams might have an almighty let off, like Bolton.
    Even if their 12 point deduction stood next year - which it might not - they'd have a full set of actual adults for next season (pending there being one!), rather than a bunch of mix and match kids.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    There are a couple of seasons I can recall where voiding would have been welcome...sadly this one isn't one of them. What a shame.

In a football context it's an absolute sprinting run up and kick in the balls.

Some teams might have an almighty let off, like Bolton.
    Even if their 12 point deduction stood next year - which it might not - they'd have a full set of actual adults for next season (pending there being one!), rather than a bunch of mix and match kids.

I don't think I can take starting it all over again in the same league and the same teams with sides who have cheated having their penalties removed. It won't seem like sport anymore. Especially if next season starts behind close doors and this season is stopped because it's financially difficult playing behind closed doors.

I can't even think about player and team records getting expunged when I've seen and enjoyed so many of them. It just make me so angry as all we have to do, quite literally, is sit and wait.

• The removal of player records would be upsetting.
    Bayo and JJ our biggest losers.

• I think in the wider context they'd probably deal with it

• I don't see why they have to remove the records? Can't they just leave the season unfinished and let the goals and games stand? Bloomers would lose both Ipswich games too as official matches.

• Football is about memories, not what's written in a history book

Whatever happens we will all have the memories from this season that can never be expunged.

The sheer joy of that winner against Southend

JJ will always have the day he scored a hat trick including two corners

Matt Bloomfield will always have those two games against Ipswich with all his family there

We'll all have the feeling of those seemingly endless weeks where we could walk into work on a Monday still top of the league and it kept getting better and better

Fact is, whatever course of action prevents as many deaths as possible is the correct course of action, and if that means abandoning the season then so be it. Football is unimportant in such circumstances

• @Shev said:
    I don't see why they have to remove the records? Can't they just leave the season unfinished and let the goals and games stand? Bloomers would lose both Ipswich games too as official matches.

Let's hope it doesn't have to happen.

• @eric_plant Post of the Month

• @eric_plant some of us have trouble remembering last week.