Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Group I

Crossing the halfway point, we move on to the 9th group of 16, with second tier teams having won 6 of 8. Will the winner be Brentford, who will moving away from Griffin Park and it's famous status as having a pub on every corner? Or Blackpool, with their passionate fans who outlasted awful owners with their boycott? Maybe Cheltenham, if we can forgive them for that late shove on Eze? Or will it be Leeds, who, according to a poll a few years back, had the most opposition fan bases who considered them one of their rivals?

Poll not found

Comments

• Brentford is an example of how a club should be run.

• Jason Cousins and Terry Evans

• Jamie Bates and Alfie Mawson

• Aaron Pierre too.

• sam saunders, nico yennaris, (jermaine udumarga and his mate)

• We’ve had some cracking games over the years with Brentford too.

• Reckon this'll be a rout - near neighbours who aren't rivals and a club who've provided us with some of our greatest ever players, plus a few classic games.

• Feel sorry for Blackpool fans and Cheltenham is a lovely place and underrated away trip. Any club that gives us some of our best players on loan at our time of need has to get some love back though. Was it Paris and Josh Scowen out half way through the play off year to be replaced by Yennaris and Saunders?

• Brentford potential overall winners?

• Wait till Torquay Utd are drafted in late !!

• @Chris said:
      Brentford potential overall winners?

Brentford/ QPR both got to be up there.

Quarter and semi finals should be tasty... how are you doing the draw for next rounds @Shev ? Out of the hat or winner plays next winner ? (If that makes sense ?)

• Had to be the Bees. I seem to recall the fans of dirty Leeds pimp-rolling around AP singing 'shit ground no fans' before the game though as I recall it was only a late worldy that prevented a decent 0 - 0 .

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Chris said:

Quarter and semi finals should be tasty... how are you doing the draw for next rounds @Shev ? Out of the hat or winner plays next winner ? (If that makes sense ?)

Will the draw be televised?

• @mooneyman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@Chris said:

Will the draw be televised?

Donald Trump pulling out the numbers. He would be the greatest number puller outer ever.

• What will be ticketing arrangements for the final? Do season tickets get priority?

• @HolmerBlue - I plan to do a random draw, though this could mean the likes of Brentford and QPR playing in the last 16. I am willing to be shouted down and seed it based on group winning percentage too, and only randomize at QF stage.

• Your game, your rules @Shev. Thanks for giving us some interest in these dark times.

• I'm glad it has been so well received, @mooneyman!

• Indeed @Shev .... your game your rules. I've no problem with a random draw, just like the FA Cup.

• Cheers. I'll probably go with that as planned. It gives less likely clubs a chance to go on a giant killing run!

• @mooneyman said:
      Brentford is an example of how a club should be run.

Any team spending over 150% of their revenue on wages is not well run.

• @wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

If you generate £120m on transfers in 5 years you can afford to pay that level of wages!

• @mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

If you generate £120m on transfers in 5 years you can afford to pay that level of wages!

The most recent five years worth of accounts show player sales of 46 million. Taking in to account those player sales they still made a loss of 41 million in that same period.

That loss of 41 million is actually greater than their revenue in the same five years, excluding player sales.

I think they now owe Benham in excess of £120 million in loans and other items.

To even break even they have to generate around 20 million a season from player sales and purchases. Bonkers!

• @wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

The most recent five years worth of accounts show player sales of 46 million. Taking in to account those player sales they still made a loss of 41 million in that same period.

That loss of 41 million is actually greater than their revenue in the same five years, excluding player sales.

To even break even they have to generate around 20 million a season from player sales and purchases. Bonkers!

So you are claiming to have a better inside knowledge of Brentford's recent transfer dealings than the investigative reporter from Talksport. Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree on this.

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/659667/brentford-data-revolution-england-smartest-club-championship-leicester-fa-cup/

• @mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

So you are claiming to have a better inside knowledge of Brentford's recent transfer dealings than the investigative reporter from Talksport. Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree on this.

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/659667/brentford-data-revolution-england-smartest-club-championship-leicester-fa-cup/

My figures are correct they are in the last five years accounts which are readily available.

Is the investigative journalist related to a Brentford FC employee of the last 25 years?

• Brentford win the most-voted for group with the highest percentage of the vote to date, and surely establish themselves as serious contenders for the You Choose Cup. However, their fine percentage of 79.25 may have been to some degree aided by the presence of Leeds United, who join Salford as the only clubs to fail to garner a single vote from the Wycombe faithful.