Skip to content

Tuesday quick quiz question

Which competition did the Wanderers manage to get its name on the trophy in its inaugural year after the second world war.
But have been unsuccessful in ever adding to it ?

Comments

• I did suspect this would be a difficult question for even the most ardent and fanatical Wanderers fan
    So I'm generously going to give a second clue.

The runners up that day, were based in Surrey !!

• Clue 3, In the same season, was the last time we have ever played a competitive game against a rival Surrey club ?

• Wycombe Hospital Cup, against Met Police, 46-47 season?
    However, looks like we won it again for several seasons afterwards, and possibly more recent years too (I've not looked up every season).
    So, I'm not 100% confident.

• Sorry Newbs !!
    This is arguably the trickiest question I've ever set ?

• The team in clue 3, allegedly inspired a musical group/ band ??

• Obviously Walton and Hersham (Sham 69), which makes me think of the Premier Midweek Floodlight League, but some of the other clues don't stack up.

• 'Inaugural year after the second world war...'
    But that doesn't necessarily mean directly after WW2?

• Walton and Hersham are the correct team in clue 3.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    'Inaugural year after the second world war...'
    But that doesn't necessarily mean directly after WW2?

Correct, I have been a bit of a tinker, with the clues Mr Newbs, I hope I dont keep you up all night.

• If I've understood the clues correctly - i.e. they are a bit of a red herring - could it be possibly be the Anglo-Italian Trophy in 1975? The runners up being Monza, who I'm guessing stayed in a hotel somewhere in Surrey for the second leg?

• No, the club are from Surrey.
    I will give out the answer at 8pm, if no ones guessed correctly

• Any chance it could be the FA Vase? I know Frank Adams donated it and I suspect his name and the name of the club of which he was Chairman was inscribed on it but I’m not sure if Wycombe ever competed in the competition so it would be a mite misleading to say that they “have been unsuccessful in adding to it” !

• Correct, Its the FA Vase, in which the final was first played in 1974/75 between Hodderson and Epsom & Ewell.
    Inscribed on the front of the trophy is Frank Adam's patron of Wycombe Wanderers FC.

• @ChasHarps you certainly have been a tinker with the clues. Pretty devious all round. Fair degree of lateral thinking required!
    Waylaid a bit by Walton and Hersham. Although I do just about remember our one and only trip to Epsom and Ewell, plus the home game against them when only about 500 people turned up.
    How far have we come since then?

• @ChasHarps, so clue 3 means we last played a competitive game against a team from Surrey in 1974/75?

• Yes our 4 nil win at Stompond lane was the last time weve played Walton and Hersham in a competitive game.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @ChasHarps you certainly have been a tinker with the clues. Pretty devious all round. Fair degree of lateral thinking required!
    Waylaid a bit by Walton and Hersham. Although I do just about remember our one and only trip to Epsom and Ewell, plus the home game against them when only about 500 people turned up.
    How far have we come since then?

I was at West St , when we defeated Epsom and Ewell in 84/85, The facilities were very basic to say the least

• Seem to remember it was just grass banks behind the goals.

• Ah ok but we played Staines in the Hitachi Cup in, at least, 1978 and Staines is in Surrey. So 74/75 isn't the last time we played a competitive game against a team from Surrey @ChasHarps.

• Walton and hersham are now only the second best team in Walton. For some reason i find that s little sad.

• @Twizz said:
    Ah ok but we played Staines in the Hitachi Cup in, at least, 1978 and Staines is in Surrey. So 74/75 isn't the last time we played a competitive game against a team from Surrey @ChasHarps.

It meant that particular Surrey Club, sorry if I through you off the scent.

• I always liked my trips to Walton & Hersham. I remember it as serene and us usually winning comfortably. But given the date I can only have been there twice at best. Sodding memory

• @DevC said:
    Walton and hersham are now only the second best team in Walton. For some reason i find that s little sad.

I hate Walton and Hersham. Stompond Lane, the only ground I've ever been physically set upon while watching WW.

• @ChasHarps, no not at all. I'd disappeared down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find teams in Surrey which people might not think are - I'd always thought Staines was in Middlesex - which could be the obscure Surrey link and came across the reference to playing them in 1978.
    Then returned to the thread to see @micra had figured it out anyway.

• @bookertease said:
    I always liked my trips to Walton & Hersham. I remember it as serene and us usually winning comfortably. But given the date I can only have been there twice at best. Sodding memory

Anything but serene as far as I was concerned.

• @NewburyWanderer Ford Meadow, Buckingham is of all the unlikely places my personal equivalent