Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Group H

Here is the lineup of the eighth group, taking us to the halfway point in the group stages. Quite a northern flavour overall.

Poll not found

Comments

• I’m guessing Huddersfield aren’t going to be top of many people’s lists.

• Tomaz Tikovs will decide the fate of group H, I suspect.

• Ah scunny.
      Name given happiness to generations of giggling adolescent schoolboys
      Town totally reliant on a failing steelworks and in need of any support it can get
      And moral dilemma. Can I give my vote to a team that perpetrated the single worst act of sportsmanship I have ever seen because that act pretty much confirmed Plymouth's relegation.

If Adams hadnt been fired the week before, the look on his face would have sealed a positive vote. But after perhaps up to 15 seconds reflection, wtf, Scunny it is.

• My mum was from Scunthorpe and I'd often go to the Old Showground when I was a kid if we were back in the ancestral homeland. Great little club.

• @DevC said:
      Ah scunny.
      Name given happiness to generations of giggling adolescent schoolboys
      Town totally reliant on a failing steelworks and in need of any support it can get
      And moral dilemma. Can I give my vote to a team that perpetrated the single worst act of sportsmanship I have ever seen because that act pretty much confirmed Plymouth's relegation.

If Adams hadnt been fired the week before, the look on his face would have sealed a positive vote. But after perhaps up to 15 seconds reflection, wtf, Scunny it is.

Struggling to follow your logic here.
      Plymouth still won this game and went down by a goal difference of 3 worse than the team that stayed up.

If Scunthorpe hadn't done that admittedly naughty act, Plymouth would still only have been one goal up, as they eventually finished.

So in effect, Lambert style "that goal changed nothing"

• Malone

At the game (as i was with an increasingly wide smirk on my face....) as i recall Plymouth either needed other results to go their way or win by four clear goals. It was around the hour mark, Plymouth's wingers were rampant and it felt like if they scored one, the dam would burst and they would score what they needed. The second Scunny goal killed that momentum and piossibility.

We'll never know whether that would have happened.

Shame.

• Whether it changed anything or not, it was superb karma for Plymouth after the way they (players, fans, manager alike) reacted to Alex Lynch's injury.

• @DevC It must’ve been absolutely wonderful to be there and witness that. As @MindlessDrugHoover says above, perfect karma for the way they treated Lynch.

My vote here has gone to Huddersfield. Yes they always thrash us, but I’ve always thought their stadium is a work of art. Definitely one of the nicest of the “new” stadiums, with Brighton another contender.

• First time I've voted for a team leading the poll.

• Huddersfield for me for no other reason than their recent promotion and I seem to recall under Lee Clark they were a really good team. I recall watching them warm up at AP and they looked so professional and up for it it did not bode well for us. I was torn between them and Blackburn though...

• Just out of interest why are Blackburn getting so many votes? No games against us to love them for.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
      Just out of interest why are Blackburn getting so many votes? No games against us to love them for.

And conversely no great historical injustices inflicted.

Plus a shared love of Super Simon Garner.

• @Last_Quarter said:
      @DevC It must’ve been absolutely wonderful to be there and witness that. As @MindlessDrugHoover says above, perfect karma for the way they treated Lynch.

I may have nmentioned that munching my prawn sandwiches in coirporate hospitality after the game (I know...). I havent been invited back....

As it happens had Ian Botham sitting two rows directly in front of me. As you do. As i remember he played a game or two for Scunny.

• edited April 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
      Just out of interest why are Blackburn getting so many votes? No games against us to love them for.

Think they are well thought of generally going back to them winning the league, a grand old club buying it on the back of a local boy done good is a nicer story than a distant conglomerate buying it to help a dodgy regimes PR.

Peterborough a bit flash at this level and never particularly likeable, Fry, That game called off when they started diving about.

Huddersfield would no doubt be doing better if they didn't keep thrashing us on rare TV outings.

I know nothing about Scunny other than the bits posted already, don't wish them any harm .

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
      First time I've voted for a team leading the poll.

Me too! Must be a living in the north west thing.

• Went for Peterboro as they always seem to play a good brand of attacking football and score loads of goals

• Wow... Blackburn winning... they would be 4th out of the 4 for me. Went for Sunny Scunny, purely based on Mrs Holmers family connections, and it's not as bad up there as people always seem to think.

• We need to break this championship bias !

• I do worry that a disturbing number of my votes are going to clubs where there are decent pubs en-route to the ground

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Maybe due to Ainsworth? Not sure.

• It's interesting Salford get such ire for their moneyball yet Blackburn with Jack Walker doing the same seem to be treated as almost romantic.

• edited April 2020

@DevC said:
      As it happens had Ian Botham sitting two rows directly in front of me. As you do. As i remember he played a game or two for Scunny.

One of three England captains to play for them but then everyone knows that don't they?
      Think Botham played for Yeovil too?

• Kevin Keegan and Ray Clemence ?

• @Malone said:
      It's interesting Salford get such ire for their moneyball yet Blackburn with Jack Walker doing the same seem to be treated as almost romantic.

One difference being Walker was a life long Blackburn fan whereas the 92 chaps seemed to be doing it for TV, Scholes had Oldham leanings and the Neville's had links with Bury, both of whom needed cash desperately. Also they got a far east financier in pretty sharpish suggesting grand plans or limiting liability.

• Blackburn take it. Interestingly, Huddersfield's 16% is almost double the previous best for a 4th placed team (Portsmouth on 8.89%). It seems no team was really hated in this group.