Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Group F

2»

Comments

• @bookertease said:
    @Malone that was my point really. A somewhat belated and probably obtuse comment on Dev and Righty’s ongoing mutual appreciation society. Not surprisingly I have met vastly more Wycombe supporters than any others.

My experience and feeling is that as a whole Wycombe fans are probably the friendliest and gentlest in the league. (Although was you point out we do have a few goons).

We had an exceptionally proud record for many of a year, zero arrests on the "league arsehole" lists.
    A shame a few swines have sullied that.

Having said that, a lot of us on here, are old gents, so maybe stuff like lying around boozed up in big mobs on trains and screaming abusive songs out, whilst filming it, for the inevitable likes online are perfectly reasonable behaviour?

• Our earliest days in the Conference when we were travelling to and from far flung places up north on a regular basis was actually one of my happiest times following the team. Almost without exception as a visiting fan in the pubs around the towns before the game it always seemed us Wycombe supporters were warmly welcomed with a reputation of being well-behaved.

How different from most away games in the Isthmian League where none of the locals ever seemed to realise that they actually had a football club just down the road.

For those of you too young to remember before google maps, finding a non-league ground in London was a case of getting off a train at the station name associated with the team we were playing. Asking puzzled locals if they knew where their local football team played and scanning between rooftops for glimpses of floodlights.

I can remember getting off the train at a South London club (maybe Carshalton) meeting Andy Graham (who was in the team) who was as lost as I was and wandering aimlessly around for a good 30 minutes before we found someone who knew where to go.

(There was the option of the Jeffways supporters coaches but that usually meant missing the first 15 minutes as they drove around similarly aimlessly trying to find the ground)

• Leyton Orient win the group in crushing style. They become the first L2 club in the hat for the last 16, and the sixth overall, with ten groups still to go before the knockout stages.

• What @bookertease said. I used to enjoy a foray into WH Smith in the days before a game to take a sneaky look at the national train timetables book and plan my route. Build enough time in for the treasure hunt at the destination. Happy days.

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:
    I must admit if I was to judge a football club on the number of supporters of it I’ve met whose behaviour is pretty awful I’d have to place us bottom of any list

We do have a pack of 20-30 goons, but I'm pretty sure if you spent any time with any other club on away trips you'd find similar, but in bigger numbers.

I doubt any team is innocent, I know a number of fans of other teams who do not go on the official buses and avoid mixing on away trip outside the ground nowadays because they have a substantial number of travelling fuckwits. It might be an age thing...I suppose at one time they may have been one but now find it tiresome. I don't travel away much so on the occasions I have I find the fact people are not actually watching the game irritating...again I assume it's an age thing. Having been an away fan with Forest when they played in the smoke I can confirm there are also some appalling knuckle draggers in my home town.

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:
    I must admit if I was to judge a football club on the number of supporters of it I’ve met whose behaviour is pretty awful I’d have to place us bottom of any list

We do have a pack of 20-30 goons, but I'm pretty sure if you spent any time with any other club on away trips you'd find similar, but in bigger numbers.

Our goons are often cretinous, but rarely threatening. We're a very good club on the whole.

• Agree with you Wendoverman. I’ve followed Forest since 1972 and being in the away end for a London game can be dreadful due to the fans’ behavior. I still go to away games but enjoy it less these days, but my youngest son is a big Forest fan so we have to go together. Still love the City Ground though.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Agree with you Wendoverman. I’ve followed Forest since 1972 and being in the away end for a London game can be dreadful due to the fans’ behavior. I still go to away games but enjoy it less these days, but my youngest son is a big Forest fan so we have to go together. Still love the City Ground though.

Aaah yes. Great memories of the City Ground. Although I was there to see the cups come back to Market Square in 1979 and 1980, I was not a regular for a time as mother was terrified I would get a dart in me face (tabloids,eh?) on the terraces. I stopped going to away games when I lived in the London after one at Fulham when a group of 'fans' shouted abuse in the face of an asian woman and her daughter who was on a scooter as they walked along the road minding their own business. Sickening. Coppers stood and watched it and did nowt as well so there was no point me wading in. I know it is a minority, but I just felt I was not up to being connected to that sort of thing again.

• Sad behaviour of the Forest lads on an away day...too many are pissed up

• I was in the market square those days too...

• @Forest_Blue said:
    I was in the market square those days too...

Snorkel parka and DMs? (I was looking through the footage the other day hoping to see myself...but as we all looked the same it was impossible. )