Skip to content

Memories when one man destroyed the Wanderers

I was talking to fellow Chairboys today, when the conversation came up of the 4-1 defeat at Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup in 1989 came up.
Man mountain Camden was a Yosser Hughes lookalike, and totally battered us at Marston Rd that day.
So maybe to breakdown the boredom of Lockdown, fellow Wanderers may want to recall games, when one player from the opposition totally dominated a game, whether it be a rampant striker, midfield general or keeper that kept them in the game
Any era !!

Comments

• Anything involving Jordan Rhodes

• @Vital said:
    Anything involving Jordan Rhodes

Just seeing his name gives me a headache.

• Very painful, days involving Jordan Rhodes.
    Steve Norris one man route, for VS Rugby when they pumped us 5-1 in the FA Cup was another one.

• Hate to say it but Kemar Roofe for Oxford a few years back in the 3-2 at our place. Looked Premier League class at least.

• edited April 2020

Jon Parkin without a doubt.

Utterly annihilated Johnson and Williamson in that infamous 5-4 game. Made them look like two blokes in from the crowd.

Scored two, and was simply unplayable. Like peak Akinfenwa, then some.

A truly mad game. I would have to bow to the stats boys on whether the below have happened on any other occasions in our football league days?

Quickest we've ever been 3-0 down at home in the football league? (13mins)
    Only time we've come back from 3-0 down, and gone 4-3 up?
    Only 9 goaler at home? (there was a 6-3 defeat at Peterboro)

Russell Martin's strike has to be in the top 3 at lowest, of Wycombe league strikes as well.

• Jon Parkin for me but James Milner had a blinding 45 mins against us in the 8-3 League Cup game too.

Nicky Evans for Barnet for older fans maybe?

• Milner was sensational for Villa that night. Whilst we are on wide men, i remember Michael Branch being pretty unplayable for 60 mins, when we beat Wolves 2-1 in the 2000/01 cup run.
    As was Portuguese winger Jose Dominguez from Birmingham at St Andrew's in 94, Thank god Barry Fry took him off.

• 1987-88, Nicky Francis scored all of Enfield's goals in their 5-1 Conference win at Loakes Park. He was honoured with the Man of the Match award, normally reserved for a home player.

• Martin Bullock was unplayable for Blackpool

• Andy Gray (yes that one) for Cheltenham
    Tony Hemmings for Northwich in the Drinkwise Cup final
    Kevin Francis away at Stockport. Just too big and strong
    Jason Koumas for Tranmere one Tuesday night
    Micky Quinn away at Coventry (2nd leg was a different matter)
    McGavin at Layer Rd (an absolutely horrific memory)

• Glyn Creaser said Chris Camden was the best player he'd ever faced

• Putting it the other way round (i.e. a WW player destroying the opposition), I thought John Akinde’s debut away at Brentford was pretty spectacular. He did have other good games for us but I don’t think he ever topped that, I recall BFC defenders just helplessly bouncing off him....

• Jason Kavanagh always seemed to run the show for Stoke and Cardiff, when we played them

• @ChasHarps said:
    Jason Kavanagh always seemed to run the show for Stoke and Cardiff, when we played them

Graham?

• @PBo said:
    Putting it the other way round (i.e. a WW player destroying the opposition), I thought John Akinde’s debut away at Brentford was pretty spectacular. He did have other good games for us but I don’t think he ever topped that, I recall BFC defenders just helplessly bouncing off him....

Hemmings v Crewe or McSporran v Lincoln?

• I think you mean Graham Kavanagh, rather than the John Gregory era Wycombe right back

Horrible player Graham Kavanagh

Just remembered Matt Jansen destroyed us for Carlisle

• @PBo said:
    Putting it the other way round (i.e. a WW player destroying the opposition), I thought John Akinde’s debut away at Brentford was pretty spectacular. He did have other good games for us but I don’t think he ever topped that, I recall BFC defenders just helplessly bouncing off him....

DeSouza v Bradford (home and away)

• @eric_plant said:
    I think you mean Graham Kavanagh, rather than the John Gregory era Wycombe right back

Horrible player Graham Kavanagh

Just remembered Matt Jansen destroyed us for Carlisle

Sorry I meant Graham, Jason played for us at full back.

• I remember Rowan Dodds destroying us when Slough beat us 4-1 at Loakes Park in the early 80's.
    He was a very different prospect to the player that appeared in a Wanderrs shirt a few years later.

• I think it was Leon Knight at AP for Huddersfield 1999/2000ish....looked incredible (although might be my memory playing up on both player and team)

• Remember Jermaine Defoe when he was on loan at Bournemouth? Poor Jason Cousins that day, he didn't deserve that at the end of a long and distinguished career

• @Malone said:
    Jon Parkin without a doubt.

Utterly annihilated Johnson and Williamson in that infamous 5-4 game. Made them look like two blokes in from the crowd.

I remember going into the Centre Spot bar after that match (I think it was called that at the time) and Parkin came in for a pint before getting on the team coach to go home.

• Grant Holt scoring five of Shrewsbury's goals in the 0 - 7 JPT match at Adams Park.

• Steve Hayes had a good go but thankfully the council were not obliging

• Some good shouts. Dean Morgan & Craig Davies destroying us at Chesterfield's new ground was painful

• @PBo said:

Kevin Betsy up at Bury in the penultimate game of Waddock's promotion season

Nathan Tyson at Kenilworth Rd a coyote of seasons ago

• Steven Taylor took the mick from centre half a couple of times

• for us Tyson firt time round destroyed several teams

• I must admit when I read the header I was expecting it to be about Aln Smth

• @eric_plant said:
    Remember Jermaine Defoe when he was on loan at Bournemouth? Poor Jason Cousins that day, he didn't deserve that at the end of a long and distinguished career

This is a good shout. People still bring that up whenever his name is mentioned, as well as that Neapolitan tabloid splash.