Skip to content

Rose coloured spectacles? Maybe not

The official website is currently showing the FA cup tie against Middlesboro from the 70s. Having watched the highlights again for the first time in many years it still makes my heart beat faster. The gap between the Isthmian league and Division 1 was much closer than todays Premier League and National League South. Of the players from the match only Steve Perrin went on to play professionally at Crystal Palace I think. A great Wycombe side with some of my all time favourite players. The obvious Tony Horseman, Keith Searle & John Maskell. Recently passed away Howard Kennedy and Mickey Holifield. Gary Hand, Keith Mead and Alan Philips were top non league defenders, winners wherever they played. Terry Reardon who was so unpredictable, often a weak link then the following match sublime. A personal favourite Paul Birdseye and Dylan Evans a great player but always behind Keith and Bodger in the pecking order. All the younger fans please watch the Big Match. Terrible picture quality, listen to Jack Charltons interview at the end, Boro were either top or 2nd in the top division at the time.

Comments

• I've watched it a few times over the years. It seems quite astonishing to see players smoking, still in their kits, in the background while Brian Moore interviews Jack Charlton.

• Our league was of course sponsored by a cigarette company!