Skip to content

2001 FA Cup quarter-final on BBC One on Saturday

124»

Comments

• @Malone said:
    That league cup team was a delight.
    It was surprising to see the young Villa defender (whose name I forget!) pop up in non league a few years on, as he was one of those you look at and think we had no chance of keeping!

Stephen O'Halloran is still playing in non league for Stalybridge.

Interestingly he played his last competitive game for us in the early part of 2007. His next two games came for the Republic Of Ireland men's team before his next competitive game for Southampton in January 2008

• @Chris said:
    Chuck Moussadek put in quite a performance in the London fives.

Loved those Wembley Arena tournaments.
    Went to one of them and watched what was probably the last one in a pub at Cosy Corner (demolished and replaced with a block of flats aeons ago). Just me and a local ”postie” as I recall. Haven’t seen him for many years. He was considerably younger than me so I hope he is still around and still a committed fan. It was a great feeling watching little old Wycombe beating some of the top clubs.>

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

Not sure how anyone could even begin to imagine Hyde would be remembered for one single freak event. For me, only beaten by Taylor as our best keeper in the 40 years I've been watching Wycombe.>

I’ve been watching Wycombe for over 50 years and a real standout ‘keeper “back in the day”* was John Maskell. Have seen John once or twice recently at Adams Park and he looks to be around the 70 mark so I’m guessing his era would have been late ‘70s/early ‘80s.

*i dislike that rather meaningless expression but it could have been invented for people like me who often have difficulty placing past events even in the right decade !

• @Chris said:
    Chuck Moussadek put in quite a performance in the London fives.

He wins best 5 a side keeper hands down (or up)
    Didn't we get to the final one year without conceeding a goal and only scoring once?

Used to enjoy O'Neill talking about Chuck too

• A shame we didn't have the chance to win it three times in a row.

I'm always a bit surprised when I watch the footage back, of winning the cup, and the mic guy going "and good luck in the play offs", and you think, hang on, we risked players in this, before the vital play off final!

And while 5 a side is lower risk than normal football, I do remember Gazza missed a vital England game as he was pissing about in some sort of tournament like this once!

• Had to be John Maskell as our best ever. He was better than Yashin.

But his era was basically the late 60’s/70’s. I remember going to his (joint with Bodger - Tony Horseman rather than the mascot) testimonial in about 1980 give or take a year (got the programme in the loft somewhere). Played the game of his life in the replay aim the FA Cup at Middlesbrough. Probably the best ever single display I’ve seen by a wycombe keeper.

More seriously got to agree with Taylor as our best permanent keeper. I can remember reading somewhere that John Gregory couldn’t believe his luck at getting him and credited him as the reason for us staying up that season. And that 90th minute penalty save against Wimbledon is stuck on a recurring loop deep inside my head to pop up every time I need to believe in miracles.

• @bookertease said:
    Had to be John Maskell as our best ever. He was better than Yashin.

But his era was basically the late 60’s/70’s. I remember going to his (joint with Bodger - Tony Horseman rather than the mascot) testimonial in about 1980 give or take a year (got the programme in the loft somewhere). Played the game of his life in the replay aim the FA Cup at Middlesbrough. Probably the best ever single display I’ve seen by a wycombe keeper.

More seriously got to agree with Taylor as our best permanent keeper. I can remember reading somewhere that John Gregory couldn’t believe his luck at getting him and credited him as the reason for us staying up that season. And that 90th minute penalty save against Wimbledon is stuck on a recurring loop deep inside my head to pop up every time I need to believe in miracles.

I remember rumours Taylor was on about 3k a week before that became the norm for all our players ;)

Although I had a whirl on football manager the other day (first time in 15years!), and it had Fred as being on 3k a week - so I expect that was the source of Ritchie's info!

• edited March 2020

Interesting to see Taylor (and Forsyth) featuring for Derby Vs Sheff Wed (in 1993) in the FA Cup quarter finals classics currently on BBC iplayer. It's the other episode to the one our Leicester game featured in.

Sorry just realised Mr 67 pointed this out earlier in the thread which kicked off the conversation!

And for me Taylor is the best keeper we've ever had by a long way.