Skip to content

Alan Beaton

2»

Comments

• @Fit2drop said:
    Malone. You are correct.

Beeton was just a decent prospect who didn't have enough to be a pro.
    Still did better than the others in his year, like Gary Wraight and Aaron Patton?

Townsend though, it's quite shocking you can do well in an FA Cup semi final against Liverpool, and then in effect totally fade away.

• @Malone said:

@Fit2drop said:
    Malone. You are correct.

Beeton was just a decent prospect who didn't have enough to be a pro.
    Still did better than the others in his year, like Gary Wraight and Aaron Patton?

Townsend though, it's quite shocking you can do well in an FA Cup semi final against Liverpool, and then in effect totally fade away.

If I recall correct Townsend had to retire due to injury.

• That generation of youth players had talent but not much in the way of physicality or mental toughness. Who was the striker and centre back who signed long contracts and then (allegedly) were mistreated by the youth boss? Perhaps I'm conflating the two.

The work that was done to concentrate on the psychological side of things in the early days of Gareth showed how important and neglected this side of development is. Scowen, Ingram, Ibe and Phillips (stretching it I know) have all benefited from this approach.

• @Callmepauly said:
    That generation of youth players had talent but not much in the way of physicality or mental toughness. Who was the striker and centre back who signed long contracts and then (allegedly) were mistreated by the youth boss? Perhaps I'm conflating the two.

The work that was done to concentrate on the psychological side of things in the early days of Gareth showed how important and neglected this side of development is. Scowen, Ingram, Ibe and Phillips (stretching it I know) have all benefited from this approach.

Interested in what you mean by the first paragraph..
    but the second half was an absolute vintage crop of youngsters, that I dare say the selling of whom saved our club.

• Here's a vintage youth team line-up:

Tom Gott, Pat Lynott, Ryan Parsons, Luke Oliver, Stuart Hole, Jack Smillie, Billy Harding, Lewis Cook, Jonny Dixon, Mark Philo, John-Paul Kelly.

Just a penalty shoot-out away from playing at Old Trafford, 18 yrs ago...

• I used to work with Alan's Mum - his family were very proud that he played for Wycombe.