Skip to content

Dom Gape signs new deal

2»

Comments

• All of those things are ridiculous, but please tell me no one has described 27-year-old Anthony Stewart as too old ?

• Not old certainly but im pretty sure at least one person on here has decried him as rubbish who cant pass so i dread to think what the drones might have said!

• @robin said:
    Fantastic news he obviously thinks we can achieve something under the current set up, i dreaded losing him in the summer.

Probably a mixture of him being sensible enough to realise you can't put a price on being settled and happy somewhere, mixed with perhaps him not quite attracting the interest at clubs that would be a worthwhile move. Last season would surely have been the time to go otherwise.

Their loss is definitely our gain though.

• Not sure who is in charge of banners these days, but that commentary should certainly be on one.

• He's a great player and was great for us last season, but I feel he's been treading water a bit this year, with some good and some anonymous performances, so perhaps you're right @Malone interest elsewhere has waned a little, he likes it here and we're on the brink of something special. For whatever reason, really great news and another poke in the eye for those doubting Gareth and Dobbo's ability to manage and push us forward.

• Mission 1 in the summer is definitely finding that creative player to sit at the front of the midfield 3.
    Bloomfield's most unusual "advanced defensive midfielder" is of course an option we've used a lot, and Freeman may develop, but realistically that's the key position we're crying out for quality in.

• @Malone said:
    Mission 1 in the summer is definitely finding that creative player to sit at the front of the midfield 3.
    Bloomfield's most unusual "advanced defensive midfielder" is of course an option we've used a lot, and Freeman may develop, but realistically that's the key position we're crying out for quality in.

I've wondered at times if Curtis could play further forward allowing Namdi and Gape to sit back a bit but neither Gape or Curtis have quite hit their best form recently. Pattison hasn't really shown more than flashes of quality either. A larger squad and a bit of rotation might help.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    Mission 1 in the summer is definitely finding that creative player to sit at the front of the midfield 3.

I've wondered at times if Curtis could play further forward allowing Namdi and Gape to sit back a bit but neither Gape or Curtis have quite hit their best form recently. Pattison hasn't really shown more than flashes of quality either. A larger squad and a bit of rotation might help.

That wouldn't help creativity though, it'd just be switching the defensive front midfielder.
    If we decided we did want three relative scufflers in the midfield, we'd certainly need a much higher output from the wide boys.

• Is Freeman supposed to be the creative one? (When he plays of course...)

• edited March 2020

@Wendoverman said:
    Is Freeman supposed to be the creative one? (When he plays of course...)

Supposedly.
    He has peaks and troughs of hype though.
    I wonder if putting him back wide might be an option now our outrageous set of options there has eased a bit.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

Supposedly.
    He has peaks and troughs of hype though.
    I wonder if putting him back wide might be an option now our outrageous set of options there has eased a bit.

I’ve been a fan and still enjoy his languid style but am wondering lately if he perhaps doesn’t have quite the creative quality I hoped he might.

• edited March 2020

I think Nick would really benefit from a change in team style to one in which his way of playing is the norm - at the moment, he's often the 'flair' player in a midfield that isn't about flair. Tbh, I'd be interested to see how everyone would fit into something more possession-based. Hopefully we have the funds in the summer to be able to build a squad capable of that!

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

That wouldn't help creativity though, it'd just be switching the defensive front midfielder.
    If we decided we did want three relative scufflers in the midfield, we'd certainly need a much higher output from the wide boys.

At his best he's got a decent eye for a pass and I think he'd be decent further forward if released from defensive duties. I'd love Freeman to be the answer but I'm not sure he dictates play or finds the intended target of his pass as much as he'd like.

• @Wendoverman said:

Nick F only seems to be the creative one because the others are such scufflers oh and he can’t really tackle. We need a Sam Saunders type if we are to compete consistently at this level (top 1 / low Championship).
    Dom signing when he did now looks fortuitous for him. There are going to be a lot of players scrabbling for contracts come summer.