Skip to content

Ipswich

Well that seems to be impoding lovely there.

Can't see Lambert being their at the start of next season

Comments

• And with a recently signed five year deal in his pocket I'd imagine that is the least of his worries.

The quality of the owners so often mirror the quality on the pitch

• I reckon Lambert will still be theirs for some time.

• On the books - Yes
    The manager - No

• Why on earth did they think they needed to tie lambert to 5years?!
    He's going no where and not going a particularly good job anyway

• He may well have gone to the board and said something along the lines of, "if you back me then give me a contract extension now. !f not, I'm off!"

It did seem an odd one at the time. Night and day when compared with our fantastic management team.

COYB

• While i agree a bit odd, worth remembering again that the fact that he has a five year contract does not mean that he will be paid five years salary to break it - or anything like it.

• edited March 2020

• The level of compensation will largely depend on Lambert's agent's negotiating skills when agreeing the terms of the contract with Ipswich.

• @DevC said:
    While i agree a bit odd, worth remembering again that the fact that he has a five year contract does not mean that he will be paid five years salary to break it - or anything like it.

It does, however, suggest that he will be entitled to higher compensation if they do break the contract than he would have been without the contract extension.

Seems difficult to argue against but I am intrigued to see if there is a viable alternative to this logical deduction.

• Didnt Newcastle do the same thing with pardew. Long contract...big payoff.

• Some managers have certain stipulations in their contracts and amount of payoffs.

Moyes wouldn't have got 5 years payoff for the unused bit of his contract for example, as he failed the minimum champions league qualification.

Others might only get compensation until they get their next job.

But still nothing condones a 5 year deal for Lambert in league 1.

• Very odd, normally a team that comes down takes a while to adjust, to clear out those that don't want to be there , deal with the shock of their new found status and perhaps more agricultural style of opposition.
    Ipswich were smashing it up and have fallen away since Lambert started flapping and talking about being happy to leave if they didn't want him.
    They've got to be regretting the contract, although as others have said there could be any number of clauses.

• Sanity clause

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sanity clause

For Christmas fixture congestion?

• Gives them first refusal on Noel Whelan as replacement

• Ipswich now 10th, We've not been in great form ourselves in the last couple of months but now have 7 points and two games in hand on them, Lambert got to walk surely.

• Having trousered a 5 year deal the last thing he'll be doing is walking.

• Put like that, what a great negotiator he is to trouser a five year deal.

• Trouser the money first, think later, that's what I always say laddie!

• @Trouser_McTrouserson said:
    Trouser the money first, think later, that's what I always say laddie!

Lol

• Real shame our fixture at Portman Rd was when they were flying high.

• edited March 2020

Their home form is awful as well - joint fourth worst in the league and they're one of only two teams with more away points than home. For some reason I had it in my head that they were alright there and dreadful away. Still, they're in the prestigious 'Never beaten Wycombe' club.

• @Malone said:
    Having trousered a 5 year deal the last thing he'll be doing is walking.

If he does trouser all that money he'll be walking funny an all

• And talking with a Glaswegian falsetto. Just imagine.