Skip to content

@oilysailor on the ColU rivalry

LX1LX1
edited February 2020 in Football

http://aca.st/15b7bc

From about 43:40

Comments

• Some incorrect facts in their, Colchester didnt bring many hooligans that day, it was mainly Wycombe/Chelsea hoolies that attacked the Col Utd fans just before kick off. The town centre was trashed in the next round v Chelmsford, We also never played Colchester the following season.

• Here's the straight dope on Wycombe's (non) hooligan past.

Service Unit » The Casual Scene »

Post by m on Oct 30, 2006, 8:28pm

you seem itk what were wycombe like in the 80s?

Post by frogmoor on Oct 30, 2006, 8:50pm

Well it wasn't exactly the ICF but there was always a decent turnout for big games, especially against league opposition. There used to be a surprising number of footbal hooligans in Wycombe but they mostly followed London clubs - QPR, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham and Millwall. In the early to mid 80's a crowd of skins and beer monsters who mainly supported Chelsea used to drift together for big games. There was a tongue-in-cheek name for the mob - the Liver Damage Firm. There was also a mainly black mob that would sometimes turn out.

Towards the end of the 80's a small but clued up little firm who loosely called themselves the LDF (mainly as a joke) had some rows, notably with Kettering and Yeovil but most people just lost interest about 1990 and I can say with fair certainty that there has been nobody to carry the torch since.

As for Colchester, I'll set the record straight once and for all. Wycombe played them in the 1st round of the cup in '86 I think. As was the norm for big Wycombe games back then, hordes of natives swarmed down from the hills and gave them a proper hiding on the terraces. But here's the rub. The fans they turned over were just scarfers - few if any proper chaps coz Colchester obviously didn't expect anything.

The amazing co-incidence is that in the 2nd round we drew Chelmsford (just down the road from Colchester). I reckon half of Essex must have turned up in Wycombe for revenge and we got run ragged. There were a few brave individual performances but anyone who tells you different is talking out of their a*rse.

When Wycombe played Colchester in the Conference a few years later they turned up thinking it'd be a big one again but things had changed in Wycombe. A mob of them went into the Valley end and all the mongs in there absolutely s*at themselves. Colchester continued to try and bring it on for a few more seasons (usually outnumbered by OB by now) until finally realising thet they were wasting their time. Funnily enough I shagged their top geezer's sister and got her to tell him not to bother - so maybe that was it!

Post by Essex E.I.E. on Nov 22, 2006, 8:49pm

frogmoor just to let u know when chelmsford came down in the fa cup in the late 80.s it was not half of essex just chelmsford that ran u ragged and done your macdonalds being chelmsford born and having lived in wycombe recently for a while then there is no way that even though chelmsford are divisions below you that you could compete with us just like colchester cant

• The thing everyone forgets is that we played Col U in the Conference in 1999/91 with no incidents and no mention of any so called rivalry. Had Col U won promotion that season the supposed rivalry would never have surfaced.
    It was the following season where the rivalry really began, when Col U supporters caused problems at AP (just as they did at many away games, that season) and of course the two clubs were neck and neck at the top of the division.

• 1990/91 - obviously!

• @Doob said:
    The thing everyone forgets is that we played Col U in the Conference in 1999/91 with no incidents and no mention of any so called rivalry. Had Col U won promotion that season the supposed rivalry would never have surfaced.
    It was the following season where the rivalry really began, when Col U supporters caused problems at AP (just as they did at many away games, that season) and of course the two clubs were neck and neck at the top of the division.

If it's the same game I'm thinking of the Col U fans were causing trouble. Keith Scott scored in the midweek game I am thinking of.

• Not sure I agree with that @Doob. I was on the shaky wooden terrace at Layer Road in November 1990 and we had all sorts lobbed at us from the Barside. There was a certain tension in the atmosphere even then.

• Yeah, they played up in the 90/91 season, definitely

Then congregated in the valley terrace the following year and attacked a bunch of kids

Proper hard men

• Agree @stevedore That wasn't a 'normal' non-league game, for sure. One of the things that seemed to upset them was (...where have we seen this before?...) we didn't turn up to roll over as they assumed we would, after a 100% home start to their supposed sabbatical year away from the football League.

But the real rivalry was still to develop - Roy McDonough had only recently re-joined them at that point and hadn't yet stepped up to the player-manager role.

• Do remember them trying to dismantle the Woodlands Terrace segregation fence by vigorously shaking it during that 90/91 home game.

• Col U supporters caused problems at many away games during their two non-league seasons. My point is there was no mention of any particular rivalry in 90/91 and certainly no mention of the crowd trouble at previous meetings. It’s urban legend that the rivalry started at the fa cup game in the mid-80’s, it started in 91/92 season and, as far I’m concerned, ended with our 2-0 victory there in 1994. A very sweet memory!

• Was still very much alive for the away FA Cup tie in 1996.

• @Doob said:
    It’s urban legend that the rivalry started at the fa cup game in the mid-80’s

I'm glad you said legend and not myth. I was at that game and subsequent games and I'm sure that was the foundation of it. Some of the facts have been embellished - in legendary fashion.

• There's more on the same website about Wycombe's (non) hooligan past. It's mildly entertaining and I can post it, if anyone's interested.

• Yes please @LDF

Thanks.

• Absolutely @LDF, I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment!

• Having read through it again, I'm not sure it's suitable for a family audience. Some amusing bits though eg when some of the LDF ended up hiding on the roof of Kettering station. I might post a heavily edited version.

• And some not so amusing bits eg when one Wycombe lad was lucky not to be brain damaged after a serious kicking at Yeovil - and the suspicion that his skin colour was an aggravating factor.

• @LDF said:
    And some not so amusing bits eg when one Wycombe lad was lucky not to be brain damaged after a serious kicking at Yeovil - and the suspicion that his skin colour was an aggravating factor.

I think of things like this when people say they want the world to 'go back to the way things used to be...' Not me.

• Noted @LDF. Some edited highlights would be great though.