Skip to content

Comments

• Wonder what that actually means on terms of extra years?

• I had to re-read it three times thinking I had missed the length of the contract. I assume it's as long as until QPR offer an enormous pay-off to snare the Gaffer.

• Yep just PR puff, no meat on the bones.

• edited February 2020

Gareth's - and I assume Dobbo's - current deal runs until 2023 unless I'm mistaken, so could it just be the same deal but improved? Or have the media guys genuinely just missed out the length? Still, wonderful news either way!

• I heartily agree. The equivalent of being substituted on 80 minutes in order to get a well-deserved public round of applause. And well deserved indeed.

• Great news.

• Encouraging that this was the first thing the Couhigs have done. Bodes well for the future. And very well deserved for GA and Dobbo.

• Gareth probably asked for a payrise for the two of them and and got it, on the the same length of contract as before.

I'm all for it!

If I was exceeding all expectations at my job, all the customers love me, and we'd just been acquired by someone with a bit more moolah, I'd probably knock on the door and ask for a payrise too!

• “moolah”. New one to me. Fijian for money, apparently. Quite agree with the sentiment @OxfordBlue.

• Probably in consideration of increased salaries the inclusion of a higher release clause.

• @micra said:
    “moolah”. New one to me. Fijian for money, apparently. Quite agree with the sentiment @OxfordBlue.

I had no idea it was Fijian - we both learnt something!

• Great news but how long for?

• Until an offer too good to refuse is tabled.

• I've heard Fiji have tabled an offer packed with moolah

• I forgot he had reached 10 years now

Testimonial pre-season? - Shame its unlikely to be either QPR or Blackburn due to us being in the same league as them next season ;)

• @micra said:
    Until an offer too good to refuse is tabled.

The idea is usually that the contract outlasts that if you want any compo.

Good news all-round though, as a symbol that every one is aligned and happy as much as anything else

• It is an absolute DISGRACE that we have not been told the length of these contracts. As a FAN OWNED CLUB we, er, umm...

I will not miss that old bollocks going forwards.

• We still own 25% of the club; they should tell us how long 25% of their contract lengths is.

• I think they've told us 25% of the story.

I'm happy with that

• We would know how much they were on if you hadn't banned Richie @drcongo!

• "How bizarre" as OMC once sang. Not so much leaving an elephant in the room but a whole herd of them. As I'm knocking on a bit now it's becoming a running joke when some Club representative says they're looking to improve communication with fans. This one could have been illustrated with a picture of a middle finger from the new regime. As if anyone might believe that supporters have any right to know the lengths of the new contracts. The self same supporters that have been asked time and time again over the last eight years to put their hands in their pockets and help keep the club afloat. The lack of communication is utterly contemptuous. The sad thing is it's now expected.

• It certainly is an odd thing to announce a new "long term" deal, but not bother mentioning how long for!

It's the only detail that really matters.

• I assume that GA's comment that he is delighted to "extend his time" indicates an extension beyond 2023.

• Wow. Some (one) really like to live up to there forum name.

Seeing as Gareth has previously extended to 2023, had they actual increased it further you’d be bemoaning the fact he was on a 4 or 5 (or more) year deal.

It’s pretty obvious this contract was put in place to ward off, or compensate us more handsomely, if a larger club comes in while also probably securing promises to Gareth for what the new boards aims are for the future.

We wouldn’t have had the full details of a contract under fan ownership and I am happy enough they have put in place, what would effectively be, a new 3.5 year deal.

• DancingYak, I thought exactly the same thing as you.