Skip to content

Analysis: Wycombe 3-1 Tranmere

edited February 2020 in Football

Had a third 'talking point' (about the goalkeeping situation - interested if anyone else thought Allsop still looked wobbly with crosses) but running out of time so here you go: https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/02/24/analysis-wycombe-3-1-tranmere/

Comments

• Seen the dot post a few times recently. Is it purely to bump a thread?

• Haha, no, I was trying to post a link to some of the stuff within the piece but made a meal of it and didn't get round to trying again.

• That’s excellent research and I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusions. There’s so much snobbery talked about ‘style’ of football.
    I’ll never forget a wise old manager saying to me once that if you try to play too many passes at our level, someone will lose possession sooner rather than later.

• The stat in there that I find most interesting is in your long ball index - not the index itself per se but that it shows that we've got the lowest possession rate in the division. Just 45.1% - compared to Coventry on 53.9% and Oxford on 54.4%. Perhaps with Fred in the team that'll now increase but you begin to see why having Aarons (and to a certain extent Smyth) on loan was not really the best fit for us.

• Yeah, I'd be interested to see how possession compares with and without Fred - I know the only game in which we had more possession was the Southend game, but Fred came off in the first in that.

• @aloysius said:
    The stat in there that I find most interesting is in your long ball index - not the index itself per se but that it shows that we've got the lowest possession rate in the division. Just 45.1% - compared to Coventry on 53.9% and Oxford on 54.4%. Perhaps with Fred in the team that'll now increase but you begin to see why having Aarons (and to a certain extent Smyth) on loan was not really the best fit for us.

I disagree. If you’re not a passing team then surely it’s good to have two players who can run with the ball at their feet and take on defenders. Both Smyth and Onyedinma do just that.

• The trouble with not being a "passing team" is that it will get us to a certain level but teams that are good enough will be able to get the ball down and play right through us and we will get well beaten. The best example of this being Coventry at home but Sunderland away was not far behind.

We basically play without a midfield and that can only get you so far. I love this team, the manager and the players and in all my years supporting Wycombe can't think of a set who are anywhere near as likeable as this lot. I hope though that with a bit more freedom in terms of finance that we are able to add to the squad this summer and come up with another style of playing if needed.

I dare say the manager is thinking the same

• Bic chances (missed)

Sounds like it was a close shave and we were lucky it wasn't drawn.

• I'd rather we succeeded with our methods than failed with Rochdale's.

• The crazy gang of Wimbledon and the long ball of Watford in the 80's were relatively successful without being "passing teams" @eric_plant .

• Excellent stuff as always, but if you're going to show off your classical references, it's "Gordian", not "Gordion". Knots, that is

• With our pitch in its current state our remaining home games aren't going to be full of short accurate passes.

Are there possession stats where the passing across the back four whilst the other team stare at them are taken out. I'd venture we'd be amongst the pack with that adjustment

• @mooneyman said:
    The crazy gang of Wimbledon and the long ball of Watford in the 80's were relatively successful without being "passing teams" @eric_plant .

Watford finished runners up in what is now the Premier League and Wimbledon won the FA Cup. Fair play to you if you think we're at the same level as those.

@chairboyscentral said:
    I'd rather we succeeded with our methods than failed with Rochdale's.

Who wouldn't? Rochdale are nowhere near as good as the other teams I mentioned though.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Excellent stuff as always, but if you're going to show off your classical references, it's "Gordian", not "Gordion". Knots, that is

Ugh, and I Googled the spelling to double check as well ?‍♂️

• @eric_plant said
    Watford finished runners up in what is now the Premier League and Wimbledon won the FA Cup. Fair play to you if you think we're at the same level as those.

To be fair what you originally said was "not being a passing team" will only get you so far. By no stretch of the imagination did either of these teams play cultured football and both bypassed midfield.

The original Wimbledon were in the old fourth division in 1978 as were Watford in 1975. They achieved top level success by basically playing agricultural football.