Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• @Tom said:
    Well we weren't great. Allsop is so frustrating when he tries to slow the game down after 5 mins, when we are playing the team bottom of the league. They passed it around well, and are a team full of big players. Bayo was pretty ineffective against their CBs, and if it wasn't for the fortuitous goal the game could have gone the other way. (although how the ref missed the handball I have no idea). Bolton looked a good team, albeit without creating much. Thompson looked hungover, constantly 5 yards off pace or just plodding around aimlessly.

I agree with the goaly lying on the floor at 0-0 and slowing it down and other stuff you've said, however the only positive thing you put were Bolton looked a good team.

Could you not find any positives with our performance?

• As I said... We didn't look that good. Smyth had a couple of good runs, Fred looked OK (albeit a game or too off full fitness), we looked slower across the park and in the first half I felt they had an extra player. We won by an own goal and a penalty. It wasn't a great performance in all honesty

• Couple of Bolton reports I’ve read said we were by far the better team.

• We were comfortably the better side.

• @Tom said:
    As I said... We didn't look that good. Smyth had a couple of good runs, Fred looked OK (albeit a game or too off full fitness), we looked slower across the park and in the first half I felt they had an extra player. We won by an own goal and a penalty. It wasn't a great performance in all honesty

That is one negative take on what by all accounts sounded a comfortable win with Fred playing well.

• Against Bolton!

• We’ve just completed a league double over Bolton bloody Wanderers! We’re right in the mix at the top of League One. If you can’t enjoy it, at least tonight, you support Wycombe for every different reasons than I do.

• Currently in a pub with Bolton supporters. Friendliest people I've ever met.

Supporting Wycombe is an absolute joy

• Hear hear @floyd. Who could have imagined that even 3 years ago.

• My only negative from today were a few idiots in our end who sang how shit must you be were winning away, must of heard it about 20+ times. 99% of the songs they did sing were aimed at Bolton, going down, wanky wanderers etc. Pathetic.

• As already said below, the big change in the game came when we went to 4-3-3. We just suddenly looked a lot better balanced.

Fred and Smyth were both excellent playing off Bayo who I get the impression is only semi-fit but playing through the pain.

Fred in that kind of form could make a big difference to our run-in.

For me, the other bonus was David Wheeler’s performance in the midfield 3 rather than the front 3 in that formation.

While no-one could possibly question his endeavour and professionalism, I think a few of us have been scratching our heads as to his best position. I think we might have found it.

He gave us a strong athletic presence in the middle of the park and also got forward well to support Bayo. More please.

• Just back, a solid and professional performance in difficult conditions against a team that’s better than their (points deducted) position in the table suggests. Not sure why Tom was unimpressed, everyone I spoke to thought we played well-and we did. Incidentally, for all the talk of our recent ‘slump’, that’s 4 wins in the last 7 games.

• First clean sheet in two months is big, hopefully the start of another run - although probably not another record-breaking one.

• @Tom said:
    Well we weren't great. Allsop is so frustrating when he tries to slow the game down after 5 mins, when we are playing the team bottom of the league. They passed it around well, and are a team full of big players. Bayo was pretty ineffective against their CBs, and if it wasn't for the fortuitous goal the game could have gone the other way. (although how the ref missed the handball I have no idea). Bolton looked a good team, albeit without creating much. Thompson looked hungover, constantly 5 yards off pace or just plodding around aimlessly.

Hmmm

Bayo won loads of stuff, didn't you see how good he was getting in position against their inexperienced defenders?

The fortuitous goal came from a great run by Smyth and a perfect cross from McCarthy. You create your own luck.

Bit harsh on Thommo but he's not himself atm for sure.

They passed it round well to no end. Gimme the goals!

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    My only negative from today were a few idiots in our end who sang how shit must you be were winning away, must of heard it about 20+ times. 99% of the songs they did sing were aimed at Bolton, going down, wanky wanderers etc. Pathetic.

Whilst not defending the unoriginal repetertive singing group who are pretty uninspiring at most games.
    The Chance to sing the 'Wanky Wanderers' ditty doesn't come by very often.
    We've spent the last 50 odd years on the receiving end of that one, it was a popular chant in the 70 and 80's. This is probably the first opportunity to dish it back out at an away ground in that time.

• Er...so we were crap but won by two goals to none? I'll take that?

• Entering the final straight with big teams around us but well placed in a season that may lead to promotion it's about wins now @tom and if we can get them without impressing anyone at all I will.be happy.!

• Favourite stat for me is that the front three completed 9/10 dribbles between them, which basically means we're Barcelona and fans of other teams really should want to watch us every week.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Favourite stat for me is that the front three completed 9/10 dribbles between them, which basically means we're Barcelona and fans of other teams really should want to watch us every week.

Having had a quick scan through a Bolton forum, I think some of their fans would rather watch us every week! Was surprised to see some of them calling for Keith Hill to be sacked (with Simon Grayson, Kevin Davis and Kevin Nolan some of the names thrown around as a replacement!)

• edited February 2020

Yeah, they don't seem keen on Hill at all, but you'd assume the club appointed him with the longer term project in mind - was never much chance of them staying up this season, might as well think ahead to League Two.

• Once again the extended highlights on iFollow miss out a key part of the game, with no replay of the handball incident.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    As already said below, the big change in the game came when we went to 4-3-3. We just suddenly looked a lot better balanced.

Fred and Smyth were both excellent playing off Bayo who I get the impression is only semi-fit but playing through the pain.

Fred in that kind of form could make a big difference to our run-in.

For me, the other bonus was David Wheeler’s performance in the midfield 3 rather than the front 3 in that formation.

While no-one could possibly question his endeavour and professionalism, I think a few of us have been scratching our heads as to his best position. I think we might have found it.

He gave us a strong athletic presence in the middle of the park and also got forward well to support Bayo. More please.

I thought the same thing. Wheeler was forced into the middle by the shift to 433 but did very well. A bit O’nien-ish in terms of the energy he gave us. Plus it meant we could play both Fred and Smyth as proper wingers high up the pitch. They were both excellent outlets and caused lots of problems for the Bolton full backs. I wouldn’t be surprised if we lined up the same way again.

• edited February 2020

I think their 'keeper should have seen red, I'm not sure that was an honest attempt to play the ball.

Also, on Wheeler: he always looks very useful when he gets into central positions. The ball through to Fred before the penalty yesterday, the assist for Samuel v Blackpool, the ball to Pattison v Burton, bursting through to win the penalty at Ipswich... I've yet to watch the game back, but it sounds like the change in position really worked.

• The O’Nien comparison is a good one, but the player Wheeler really reminded me of yesterday was Keith Ryan.

Like Wheeler, Keith was used all over the pitch. To an incredible extent in his case given at different times he was asked to play right back, left back, centre back, sweeper, holding midfielder, box-to-box midfielder and centre forward.

His best position though was as a ranging midfielder whose athleticism made him a real handful for any side. There was a bit of that from Wheeler yesterday, typified by his role in the penalty by getting forward to feed off Bayo and then delivering an excellent pass for Fred’s perfectly timed run.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2020

Watching back now and Wheeler is just absolutely everywhere trying to make things happen - and usually succeeding - such an intelligent player. I think we have to start with that midfield v Tranmere (with Blooms or Ofoborh in for Thompson) and Smyth-Bayo/Samuel/Parker-Fred up front. Smyth does look a different proposition on the right.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2020

If our defence becomes what it was in the autumn, we could get by on set-piece goals - BUT we will get more from open play with Fred back, and with Smyth in his better position. Including own goals, we've scored 19 from open play this season - seven with Fred on the pitch.

• @chairboyscentral I thought that about the penalty and the goalkeeper, too.

I really don't approve of the "double jeopardy" rule change, as I don't think defenders should be encouraged to take their chances denying goal-scoring opportunities. But if you're going to have "no attempt to play the ball" exceptions to it, then the rule ought to be applied consistently, as opposed to barely at all. Giles Phillips should be grumpy watching that one back after his Posh dismissal.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    If our defence becomes what it was in the autumn, we could get by on set-piece goals - BUT we will get more from open play with Fred back, and with Smyth in his better position. Including own goals, we've scored 19 from open play this season - seven with Fred on the pitch.

Do I detect a massive mood change from you after the win yesterday. You seemed really fuwn with it all after Tuesday night?

What happened yesterday that changed that around?