Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kashket banned for 2 months

edited January 24 in Football

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/january/scott-receives-fa-ban/

Scotty has received a 2 month ban with an additional suspended 4 month ban.

The ban is effective from Tuesday 21st Jan.

Β«1

Comments

  • Guess that explains his absence at Posh, then. Poor lad, but not a ridiculously long lay-off.

  • It says the ban is in respect of "all football activity". I assume this means he can't train with the rest of the squad, and if so, will lose his fitness.

  • Well done to the club once again. The right thing to do and an excellent statement.

    Proud to be a part of this club

  • @mooneyman said:
    It says the ban is in respect of "all football activity". I assume this means he can't train with the rest of the squad, and if so, will lose his fitness.

    That's the bit that makes it pretty harsh.

    They can't stop him being set a fitness regime that he does elsewhere though.

    That 4months suspended part to it, shows how it could have been a lot worse.

  • The statement really was superb, particularly Rob Couhig's quote. A timely-reminder of just how well-run we are off the pitch, as well as on it.

  • Agreed, very well handled by the club, for an issue that must have come as a massive shock when it first emerged!

  • Seems overly harsh but we have to accept it.

  • edited January 24

    So, does anyone know where this "banned from all Football activity" starts and Ends? I assume it means he has to stay away from the club/official club training - but how far does it go? Does it, for example, extend to not being allowed to contact on a work or personal basis with his work colleagues?

    The reason I ask, is that there is a huge question here for me. During this period at Orient, it is my understanding that he was pretty much put at the extremities of the club and essentially isolated - which has a knock on effect on a persons mental health, boredom levels and can results in poor decision making.

    Has the FA, in its ruling, effectively done to SK, what Orient did to him and has put him at the extremities of football for the next 2 months as a punishment. Could this result in a relapse into bad decision making/boredom?

    What provisions are there, in place and made available to Scott Kasket, by the FA, to support him mentally while he has been banned from doing something that is a massive part of his day to day waking life?

    Any one know who at the FA can and should be asked these questions?

  • @TheDancingYak said:
    So, does anyone know where this "banned from all Football activity" starts and Ends? I assume it means he has to stay away from the club/official club training - but how far does it go? Does it, for example, extend to not being allowed to contact on a work or personal basis with his work colleagues?

    The reason I ask, is that there is a huge question here for me. During this period at Orient, it is my understanding that he was pretty much put at the extremities of the club and essentially isolated - which has a knock on effect on a persons mental health which results in poor decision making.

    Has the FA, in its ruling, effectively done to SK, what Orient did to him and has put him at the extremities of football for the next 2 months as a punishment. Could this result in a relapse into bad decision making?

    What provisions are there in place made available to Scott Kasket, by the FA, to support him mentally while he has been banned from doing something that is a massive part of his day to day waking life?

    Any one know who at the FA can and should be asked these questions?

    The FA are useless and this harsh but I'd suggest he's very likely to be in a far better place mentally now and our management are far more interested in supporting him than bechetti and co.

  • edited January 24

    @StrongestTeam said:
    The FA are useless and this harsh but I'd suggest he's very likely to be in a far better place mentally now and our management are far more interested in supporting him than bechetti and co.

    I would hope he is NOW. But in 6 weeks time?

    Thats why I asked the question about how far this ban extends. If he isn't, for example, allowed contact with GA, Dobbo and the senior team running the club - I would be concerned for the lad.

    To go from a secure happy place, to being forced to be outside it could be catastrophic to someones mental health.

  • I think it's no games, no reserve games, team functions etc, can't imagine it's being cast out completely, and he knows he'll be missed and back around the team when he's back rather than being frozen out and not knowing if his professional career would ever happen , different circumstances.

  • Totally different situation, but I remember when Cantona was banned in 95, also for "all
    footballing activities", he wasn't even allowed to play in specially arranged friendlies.

    It'll be super harsh if he's not even allowed to train with the team.

  • Lucky not to be 9 months having read the full report

  • Actually the EFL have been very lenient here compared with similar cases. Quite a lot of the bets Scott placed involved Orient matches including some betting against his club.

  • edited January 24

    @Onlooker Do you have a link to the full report?

  • the report is sobering.
    What with the treatment he got at Orient (we can only speculate why), the career threatening injury and now this, this young man has had a huge amount to cope with in his young life.
    Lets hope it will not be too long before Scotty Kashket scores another goal for the club.

  • edited January 24

    Looking at some of the charges related to betting was there some sort of purge in December? Bit of an epidemic at Soham!

    http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jan/09/fa-charges---december-2019-090120

  • Kashket comes out of that with quite a lot of credit.

    Interesting to note the serious allegations that are made towards certain figures at Leyton Orient by Kashket during his time there. I can't help but think football would be a better place if the FA directed such disciplinary action at those individuals, and made sure they faced the footballing sanctions and criminal proceedings they deserve.

  • edited January 24

    This bit was stood out...as a potential sanction!!

    "A range of 6 months to life for a bet placed on a participant’s own team to lose. Here there were a number of such bets, over a period of time"

    Though presumably "Life" would be a severe run of match fixing, rather than just a bet when an outsider.
    The fine seems very specific too, wonder if that's 2 weeks wages...

  • edited January 24

    So it looks like he made most of it back, but he bet over Β£14,000? That's just sad. Fair play to the club for their response, shame the same can't be said for the game as a whole.

  • I like the pedantic adding of his winnings against his own team to his fine, but allowing the overall loss!

  • edited January 24

    Having now read the EFL tribunal report, I have to say that I appreciated the thoroughness of its exposition and reasoning (including an explanation for the additional fine relating to the winnings from bets on Orient, which is set out thoroughly and reasonably). One might think to enter further discussion on the ethics of the whole footballers betting on football thing but, taken within the context of the existing rules system about betting, this seems a fair, considered and not unsympathetic decision.

    As others have said, I hope he is currently OK and that plans are in place to keep him within the family and to feel that he is so.

  • @Malone said:
    I like the pedantic adding of his winnings against his own team to his fine, but allowing the overall loss!

    I think the salient point here is that the only time he won was when betting on Orient matches. Therefore I don't feel this is actually pedantic on behalf of the EFL, they could have really hammered him and for once showed common sense.

    Hopefully Scott can move on after these two months.

  • @mooneyman said:

    @Malone said:
    I like the pedantic adding of his winnings against his own team to his fine, but allowing the overall loss!

    I think the salient point here is that the only time he won was when betting on Orient matches. Therefore I don't feel this is actually pedantic on behalf of the EFL, they could have really hammered him and for once showed common sense.

    Hopefully Scott can move on after these two months.

    To apply some classic gasroom pedantry, he won overall on the against his team bets, and lost overall on the other ones.

    He no doubt won on plenty of individual bets on the other ones.

  • @Malone said:

    @mooneyman said:

    @Malone said:
    I like the pedantic adding of his winnings against his own team to his fine, but allowing the overall loss!

    I think the salient point here is that the only time he won was when betting on Orient matches. Therefore I don't feel this is actually pedantic on behalf of the EFL, they could have really hammered him and for once showed common sense.

    Hopefully Scott can move on after these two months.

    To apply some classic gasroom pedantry, he won overall on the against his team bets, and lost overall on the other ones.

    He no doubt won on plenty of individual bets on the other ones.

    And to be anything other than pedantic, the fact that he ultimately profited from betting on matches involving his own team made their fining decision understandable.

  • He’s got off very lightly if he was betting on his own club, that’s very dangerous territory.

    Proud of the way the club have stood by him, hopefully the FA will exercise some common sense with regard to his contact with the team.

  • Reading that full report it seems clear that the Orient owner at the time treated him in an absolutely appalling manner.

    So pleased for Scott that that stage in his life is now over and he is at a club where he is treated with respect and dignity

  • @floyd said:
    He’s got off very lightly if he was betting on his own club, that’s very dangerous territory.

    Proud of the way the club have stood by him, hopefully the FA will exercise some common sense with regard to his contact with the team.

    I agree it's not to be encouraged but probably mitigated as the bets against Orient would appear to be spite against his treatment rather than the abuse of insider information or match fixing that the rules are there to prevent.

  • Goes to show where he was in terms of mental state.

    Using your own money to bet against your employer in an apparent attempt to destroy them, is a bit β€œpunching yourself in your own face to punish someone else”.

Β«1
Sign In or Register to comment.