Skip to content

Wanderers in Exile

A series I've started on the site, which if anyone who follows Wycombe from afar wants to contribute to, feel free to drop me a message! https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/01/23/wanderers-in-exile-mark-evans/

Comments

• Nice article, an enjoyable read!

• A very good read that. Surely there must be more than one WWFC supporter in Switzerland?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    A very good read that. Surely there must be more than one WWFC supporter in Switzerland?

You would think so - but I've been waiting a long time to find one!

Thanks for the kind comments. I feel humbled that at least two people have read that. Thanks to @chairboyscentral for letting me contribute to his excellent site.

• I love you telling the top players about Wycombe. I am sure the "all we need is a 20 goal scorer" will latch on to this. Bale is unsettled, after all!

• The latest 'WiE' comes from Kristján Sturluson, who appeared on RTB in Febuary. https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/04/18/wanderers-in-exile-kristjan-sturluson/

• Really enjoyed that rerun of the "Bean with a shot". It shouldn't be underestimated just how good that header was from Paris. His determination to get on the end of the cross & he had to crane his neck round the defender, was a thing of beauty.

• @EwanHoosaami Any excuse to watch that back!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @EwanHoosaami Any excuse to watch that back!

I don't need an excuse mate to be honest.

• Enjoyed the home game v Chelsea. I had forgotten about Will Antwi and just how good he was. We've certainly been blessed with a good line of central defenders over the years.

• I didn't watch it but whenever I think of that game in my head Tommy Doherty had an absolutely sensational game. Am I remembering correctly?

• Thanks. I note the use of the word infectious. I think this is the one time 'R' should be much higher than 1 :)

• We had a great keeper during that cup run, i think he was on loan from Fulham? The penalty shoot out against donny sticks out in my mind he was superb... never heard of him after that season Ricardo Batista

• @bigred87 said:
    We had a great keeper during that cup run, i think he was on loan from Fulham? The penalty shoot out against donny sticks out in my mind he was superb... never heard of him after that season Ricardo Batista

Last heard of failing a drugs ban?

But checking Wiki that was only in 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Batista

He's played on after that, but if those career stats are correct, that's a criminal waste of his talent, basically playing as much for us in one season as for anyone else in his total career!

At the time he was one of those loanees you knew you had no chance of keeping.

• Good to hear from you @bigred87. Hope you’re keeping well.

• @eric_plant Yes. He gave Ballack a real run for his money. I think that might have been the season where I left pretty much every game thinking, "Who was the MOTM, after Tommy Doherty?" He was just extraordinary to have as a player at our level. (Although there might have been reasons ...)

Unfortunately, he was perhaps over-confident in the second tie at Stamford Bridge, where he gave up the ball for the first goal. And after that it was a procession, which I remember Che (when Che was a thing) being absolutely apoplectic about.

• That 2nd leg featured a memorable display from Kevin Betsy didn't it? Maybe his last game for us before heading to Bristol City?

Doherty is one of the best players we've ever had. Imagine him and Thommo in the middle with Guppy and Carroll on the wings.

• yes. I'd forgotten that. He was just a tremendous player. I remember the first time I saw him (home to Oxford, I think) and he passed defenders in a way which seemed supernatural; just impossible.

Still, that team never made it out of the fourth division!

• @our_frank said:
    @eric_plant Yes. He gave Ballack a real run for his money. I think that might have been the season where I left pretty much every game thinking, "Who was the MOTM, after Tommy Doherty?" He was just extraordinary to have as a player at our level. (Although there might have been reasons ...)

Unfortunately, he was perhaps over-confident in the second tie at Stamford Bridge, where he gave up the ball for the first goal. And after that it was a procession, which I remember Che (when Che was a thing) being absolutely apoplectic about.

Yep such a shame the Doc played that suicidal ball across the area. We had half a chance until that. Betsy gave Cole a really tough game, one I'm not even sure I remember Ronaldo giving him.

But after that Doc giveaway we were done.

• That was my daughter's first 'big game' at Adams Park...quite exciting when she was used to five thousand crowds at the most. I remember her loving it when Mooney pulled Mikel up off the floor with some choice words when he was writhing about on the pitch.
    And she was a Lampard fan so was happy when Jose had to bring him on. Great night. We do appear in the celebrating crowd for a few fleeting seconds when Easter scores.

• remove Mikel and insert Makelele and all of the above makes sense.

• @Wendoverman said:
    remove Mikel and insert Makelele and all of the above makes sense.

Both started, so it still made sense :)

• Mooney was a great player...well perhaps not great but great for us.

• Mooney and Tyson has to have a shout as our best ever league front pair.

I remember the dreadful Tony Adams trying to make out like he'd wanted Mooney but couldn't afford him.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Mooney was a great player...well perhaps not great but great for us.

HE WAS GREAT!!!!

• Mooney and Easter for a season were fantastic

• @micra said:
    Good to hear from you @bigred87. Hope you’re keeping well.

All good thanks and yourself?

• Doing fine thanks @bigred87. 40 years in the Civil Service, often bored, occasionally bullied and frequently bewildered but patiently sticking it out because I wasn’t cut out for anything else and I knew there’d be a half decent pension at the end of it seems to have been good preparation for what could be a lengthy period of virtual house arrest! But, who knows, the scientists and medics may come up with therapies and a vaccine before the year is out. Let’s hope so!

Reading that long and meandering sentence above reminds me of the slogan on the side of a van owned by a bakery firm in Maidstone just after the war which read “Hubble’s bread, often buttered, never bettered”. Those were the days. Apparently.

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:

HE WAS GREAT!!!!

Never forget the game against his old club Swindon back in 2006. They went a goal up very early on and their fans got on his back all match with chants of 'Mooney, what's the score?', and then he popped up in the last minute with an equaliser. Cue chants of 'Mooney, what's the score?' from the Wycombe faithful.

He was always a real pain in the arse against us for Oxford as I recall.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:

HE WAS GREAT!!!!

Never forget the game against his old club Swindon back in 2006. They went a goal up very early on and their fans got on his back all match with chants of 'Mooney, what's the score?', and then he popped up in the last minute with an equaliser. Cue chants of 'Mooney, what's the score?' from the Wycombe faithful.

He was always a real pain in the arse against us for Oxford as I recall.

He only played against us for Oxford twice and didn’t score. I seem to remember him playing as a centre back for them at there place against us.