Skip to content

Match day thread: Rochdale

Comments

• @Malone i think they were swopping sides to confuse rochdale though it seemed to confuse them as well at points as everyone seemed to be on tne same side of the pitch!

• Watched him quite closely and Thompson looked absolutely knackered in the second half - I thought he might have gone off before Gape.

Theory on Wheeler/ Freeman around me was that Wheeler was more likely to track back with their young full back. He was a super player, their lad - what a talent to be able to match up on equal terms with men at his age! Felt very sorry for him at the end; he was so distraught at having cost his team the game with his inexperienced challenge.

Very glad to have won a game. Thought we bossed the second half by pressing them so hard. Thought tiredness was very apparent in both teams late on - especially us, though maybe I was looking at us more closely. Don't wish to get above myself but, for all that I admired the way Rochdale played and that they had some good players, it did occur to me as it went on that this was a game we should really win. It had a L2 feel about it to me. Anyone else get that?

How were the food outlets for everyone?

• Great gesture by Bayo and a few others spending a good bit of time consoling the young lad who gave away the penalty.

• edited January 2020

@HCblue said:
    Watched him quite closely and Thompson looked absolutely knackered in the second half - I thought he might have gone off before Gape.

Theory on Wheeler/ Freeman around me was that Wheeler was more likely to track back with their young full back. He was a super player, their lad - what a talent to be able to match up on equal terms with men at his age! Felt very sorry for him at the end; he was so distraught at having cost his team the game with his inexperienced challenge.

Very glad to have won a game. Thought we bossed the second half by pressing them so hard. Thought tiredness was very apparent in both teams late on - especially us, though maybe I was looking at us more closely. Don't wish to get above myself but, for all that I admired the way Rochdale played and that they had some good players, it did occur to me as it went on that this was a game we should really win. It had a L2 feel about it to me. Anyone else get that?

Probably spot on with Thompson, especially in a 2man midfield after his recent niggles.

With Wheeler at times it felt awkward, where he'd have the ball tight on the left flank and have to try and get it round on his right foot first, where Freeman would probably have used his floaty skills to deal with it.

Shame for their right back. It's pretty unusual for a kid so young to be starting games like that, and he looked pretty comfortable on the ball and has some quite great potential. Will need his career mapped out carefully though. At some stage he'll obviously have to step up, but it's probably best he stays playing regular games at what is a decent level In league 1 for a couple of seasons yet, rather than being in some Premier league youth team.

Good to see a few of his team mates pep him up after the pen give away. They'll have been gutted themselves, but saw the greater need of their mate - great stuff.
    Saw at least one Wycombe player console him after, and Gaz namechecked him after saying he'll go on and have a great career.

Don't really get your L2 comment though. Not many teams play like Rochdale down there.
    Like a few teams in L1, they seemed to almost pointlessly keep possession, playing a quite bizarre sweeper role for their tall guy in the centre, dropping to the edge of the box, and just constantly side passing it.

Hope they stay up though. They are certainly an inspiration to the smaller teams.

• I thought today’s performance was very encouraging and easy on the eye from both teams. A vital win against a good footballing team, who knocked it around nicely, did not lose possession cheaply and were dangerous on the counter.
    Thompson, Gape and Smyth are all still getting back to full match fitness - all still around 80% I would say? It will be interesting to see how we start to do when they are back to 100%.
    McCarthy easily MOM, but Parker not far behind him for me. I thought he had a really strong game today - great hold up play and distribution.
    Agree re Blooms versus Kashket coming on, but the Smyth substitution worked out well! Clever play from him to draw the foul. Balls of steel from JJ to slot home the pen. Felt very sorry for their young LB, who otherwise had a brilliant game. Very nice to see Bayo consoling him at the end.
    A draw against the Posh would be good after today.

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:
    Watched him quite closely and Thompson looked absolutely knackered in the second half - I thought he might have gone off before Gape.

Probably spot on with Thompson, especially in a 2man midfield after his recent niggles.

With Wheeler at times it felt awkward, where he'd have the ball tight on the left flank and have to try and get it round on his right foot first, where Freeman would probably have used his floaty skills to deal with it.

Shame for their right back. It's pretty unusual for a kid so young to be starting games like that, and he looked pretty comfortable on the ball and has some quite great potential. Will need his career mapped out carefully though. At some stage he'll obviously have to step up, but it's probably best he stays playing regular games at what is a decent level In league 1 for a couple of seasons yet, rather than being in some Premier league youth team.

Good to see a few of his team mates pep him up after the pen give away. They'll have been gutted themselves, but saw the greater need of their mate - great stuff.
    Saw at least one Wycombe player console him after, and Gaz namechecked him after saying he'll go on and have a great career.

Don't really get your L2 comment though. Not many teams play like Rochdale down there.
    Like a few teams in L1, they seemed to almost pointlessly keep possession, playing a quite bizarre sweeper role for their tall guy in the centre, dropping to the edge of the box, and just constantly side passing it.

Hope they stay up though. They are certainly an inspiration to the smaller teams.

The L2 comment was less about the style of play and more about the quality of it. For the first time in who can say how long, we played a bit of football at times today but some of the touches, passes and shots were pretty poor. Similarly, Rochdale, for all the attractiveness of their play, had an obvious vulnerability about them when we attacked. Taken as a whole, thus, I had the feeling I described. Enjoyed the game well enough - it was entertaining fare.

• I'm with you on your comments there @Malone. Nice club, good supporters and playing good football. I wish them the best for the rest of the season.

• Highlights are up on Sky

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/11911975/wycombe-2-1-rochdale

Can any lip readers confirm what I think is Jason sating "I'm back" after his goal?

• I think our style of play certainly benefitted from McCarthy's return.

Such a massive difference having a right back with the energy pace and skill to storm forward given any opportunity.

Grimmer was also decent for this, but I'd say McCarthy is a step up, and will be tough to keep out when Grimmer is back.

• I liked Parker up front, he had a couple of shots (one early on) but maybe is still a bit rusty, but he looked fit. McCarthy was great and linked up well with Nick Freeman, great to have a confident overlapping right full back again. Thought Wheeler was a bit lost on the left side of a four man midfield, where he has been great as part of a front recently. Overall...we were the better team and deserved the win.

• Loved Grimmer's co-commentary, especially his support of Macca, even though his position is under threat. Hearing the likes of Darius, Smyth and Grimmer in the booth this season has been a joy!

• @Malone said:
    The drummer only played sporadically, so I wonder whether it was Tom or the other guy!

It was the other guy, Paul. Tom is banned after his outburst at the Ipswich game.

• edited January 2020

I'm going to give Gaz the benefit of the doubt on the Blooms substitution and assume Thompson was carrying a niggle - bizarre change otherwise!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:
    The drummer only played sporadically, so I wonder whether it was Tom or the other guy!

It was the other guy, Paul. Tom is banned after his outburst at the Ipswich game.

I thought it was incredible restraint otherwise!

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Highlights are up on Sky

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/11911975/wycombe-2-1-rochdale

Can any lip readers confirm what I think is Jason sating "I'm back" after his goal?

Good to see the highlights to see if memory matched reality.

I'd forgotten Allsopp's spill not long after their goal!

For the goal itself, Thompson's ball was a bit bouncy and strong, and McCarthy's was a little of the same, but I thought Allsopp got it under control and ready to smash quite quickly - so probably more praise to their man closing down so brilliantly.

I haven't had that "shock" of a goal since El Abd and maybe O Nien? conspired to boot it against one another for an own goal a couple of years back!

I'm going to give Gaz the benefit of the doubt on the Blooms substitution and assume Thompson was carrying a niggle - bizarre change otherwise!

From where I was, Thompson seemed completely knackered. A change was in order, whether Blooms or someone else.

One eye on Tuesday no doubt

• Agree we deserved the points so their goal was a shame though at least I got a home win prediction right!

• You often need that turning point moment that gets momentum going again, and you can't get much better than a 90th min winner.

Get through Peterboro with a positive result, have a week taking stock, then we have another smashfest of games, with 5 in 18 days!

• @Forest_Blue said:
    I liked Parker up front, he had a couple of shots (one early on) but maybe is still a bit rusty, but he looked fit. McCarthy was great and linked up well with Nick Freeman, great to have a confident overlapping right full back again. Thought Wheeler was a bit lost on the left side of a four man midfield, where he has been great as part of a front recently. Overall...we were the better team and deserved the win.

Parker must have been doing well in training to go from totally out of the picture, at times not making the 18, to starting. It's not like it was due to others injuries eithers, with Samuel, Smyth and Kashket all options on the bench.

Looks like any talk of a loan out was a bit wide of the mark.

• @Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    I liked Parker up front, he had a couple of shots (one early on) but maybe is still a bit rusty, but he looked fit. McCarthy was great and linked up well with Nick Freeman, great to have a confident overlapping right full back again. Thought Wheeler was a bit lost on the left side of a four man midfield, where he has been great as part of a front recently. Overall...we were the better team and deserved the win.

Parker must have been doing well in training to go from totally out of the picture, at times not making the 18, to starting. It's not like it was due to others injuries eithers, with Samuel, Smyth and Kashket all options on the bench.

Sometimes not being involved when the team is doing badly can do wonders for your chances and reputation. A different approach was needed today.

• I enjoyed Parker's play today, too. He was energetic, fast, strong and skilful. A bigger - better, for the aforementioned reasons - Samuel with no less of a goal threat (impossible).

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:

Sometimes not being involved when the team is doing badly can do wonders for your chances and reputation. A different approach was needed today.

Yes.
    A player can no doubt accept not featuring when things are going great, but if they're not getting a look in when they're not, the writing is surely on the wall.

• @HCblue said:
    I enjoyed Parker's play today, too. He was energetic, fast, strong and skilful. A bigger - better, for the aforementioned reasons - Samuel with no less of a goal threat (impossible).

In fairness to Samuel though, I dare say he'd love to play in a two with Bayo. And it's likely Parker would have found it a harder game trying to do the lone role Samuel usually gets.

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:
    I enjoyed Parker's play today, too. He was energetic, fast, strong and skilful. A bigger - better, for the aforementioned reasons - Samuel with no less of a goal threat (impossible).

In fairness to Samuel though, I dare say he'd love to play in a two with Bayo. And it's likely Parker would have found it a harder game trying to do the lone role Samuel usually gets.

Yup. That's fair.

• "I haven't had that "shock" of a goal since El Abd and maybe O Nien? conspired to boot it against one another for an own goal a couple of years back!"

Best one for me was salvaging a last minute draw (I think) against Brizzle Rovers at AP when their keeper tried to clear the ball and it cannoned in off Bulman's bum.

• edited January 2020

@adamspark said:
    "I haven't had that "shock" of a goal since El Abd and maybe O Nien? conspired to boot it against one another for an own goal a couple of years back!"

Best one for me was salvaging a last minute draw (I think) against Brizzle Rovers at AP when their keeper tried to clear the ball and it cannoned in off Bulman's bum.

I would love to say the same, but back In those days I got a lift with an old chap with mobility issues, who insisted on leaving about 10mins before the end, so I was half way home by that goal!

• Interesting and enjoyable game. Much better from us today, mixing up our style to good effect.

Huge boost to have McCarthy back, great to see him linking up so well with Freeman.

Interesting side Rochdale. I think it would drive me mad to support a team so persistent in trying to build from the back like that. For long spells in the 2nd half, they couldn't get it out of their own half, as we were all over them as soon as they got to the half way line and invariably they would lose possession. On the odd occasion they did manage to get into the final 3rd they were a threat. Funnily enough it was often after resorting to a long ball/pass, that they got into their better positions.

Such a confidence boost to win the game at the death. Let's hope we can get something at Peterborough and start another unbeaten run

• You know what you're going to get with Rochdale. I wouldn't mind watching that every week.

• Having just read through five pages on one of their forums, aside from a pre-match ‘hoof ball’ post, not one of their supporters has criticised us and our style of play. A first for the season?