Skip to content

Should football now change to reflect the Climate Emergency?

Comments

• Think I have a memory of Rob saying that the Couhigs were getting very familiar with the staff of BA?

• No need to have physical cards at all for season tickets. They could (fairly) easily set it up for phone use to scan (assuming the scanners work)

• @bookertease said:
    No need to have physical cards at all for season tickets. They could (fairly) easily set it up for phone use to scan (assuming the scanners work)

This is what I’ve been doing all season. I didn’t get a paper / plastic ticket and use my phone each game.

• Not everyone has (or wants) a smart phone.

• Reusable drink cups are a good place to start. When they introduced these at Trent Bridge it immediately ended the depressing spectacle of crunching your way through a sea of discarded plastic.
    Plus it’s a nice little earner for kids at the end of the match, who scour the stands collecting the discarded ones to get the £1 deposit back, which I guess cuts the cleaning bill too.
    I’m currently on route to the game and topping up my electric car at Milton Keynes. It’s a shame Wycombe is so crap for electric chargers - there aren’t many and half of them are knackered. It’s nice to do the 130 mile journey without fumes and much cheaper too.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:
    And someone more technical than me can probably answer, but if you have 3,000 season tickets, all chipped to scan, and 300 people don't renew, are they technical enough to only shut off those 300? I'd actually be quite surprised if they can do that at Wycombe level.

That's the opposite way round to how you would actually do it. All cards get invalidated at the end of the season, and then each time someone renews you reactivate it.

Ta for confirmation.
    So presumably itd be fairly easy for Wycombe have to reactivate like that?
    But they just see it a lot easier to issue new cards with right year on etc?

• 2pm would impact in the pre match regime, would need to get to the Vere by 11.30... team sheets still in use as WiFi is non existent and the ground is in a phone dead zone, I’d prefer to have the sheets virtually but no signal to do so.

As for less meat....you can file that with a 2pm ko.

Any got a pink boat???

• @bookertease said:
    No need to have physical cards at all for season tickets. They could (fairly) easily set it up for phone use to scan (assuming the scanners work)

Superb for cool kids. But useless for those of us either with crap phones, or those of us whose phones run out of charge a lot!

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@bookertease said:

This is what I’ve been doing all season. I didn’t get a paper / plastic ticket and use my phone each game.

You have a season ticket on your phone?
    Or do you mean you're a "match by match malone".

• Genuine question, since I have no idea: which is worse for the environment - paper or card printed tickets, using wood from sustainable forests, or the mineral substances, mining and mineral extraction processes, production and charging of mobile phones?

• ... and the petrochemicals used in producing the plastic parts of the phones.

• I'm glad this discussion has got people thinking I think 2pm kick offs are a fairly easy win and couid be in place by as early as next season. Historically games kicked off in winter pre floodlight era as early as 2pm. In the 70s when we had fuel emergencies games were kicking off at 1.45 in December (Wyvombe v Peterborough FA Cup 2nd Round 1973) Not sure why we need paper
    team sheets Am going to stop picking one up as of today and wait for the tannoy announcement.

• edited January 2020

@Uncle_T said:

Genuine question, since I have no idea: which is worse for the environment - paper or card printed tickets, using wood from sustainable forests, or the mineral substances, mining and mineral extraction processes, production and charging of mobile phones?

Not sure how the two industries would stack up against each other, but lithium batteries are having a pretty big impact: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

Problem is there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative at the moment.

• I feel the view that team sheets are environmentally unfriendly is rather over the top. Hopefully those that are so anti team sheets also don't buy programmes or newspapers which are far more wasteful (particularly the rubbish inserts on Sunday).

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:

Superb for cool kids. But useless for those of us either with crap phones, or those of us whose phones run out of charge a lot!

I was thinking only of us cool kids... (I wasn’t being overly-serious as for many it’s akin to a pact with the devil, but having once forgotten my ST (360 mile round trip so can’t easily pop back and get it) I always photograph it now and it will scan fine from the photo)

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@bookertease said:

I was thinking only of us cool kids... (I wasn’t being overly-serious as for many it’s akin to a pact with the devil, but having once forgotten my ST (360 mile round trip so can’t easily pop back and get it) I always photograph it now and it will scan fine from the photo)

The office will sort out a paper ticket to get in you for a one off forget job anyway.

• Beautiful sunny day today lights on by about 2.15 it got properly dark around 4.30 Mad

• Send all your suggestions to King Bozzer and I'm sure he'll get the new environment minister Lord Clarkson of Stig to look into it.

• I can't believe that there aren't plastic recycling bins around the ground. Sad seeing all the empty plastic pint glasses going into the "general waste" bin in the village before the match.

• Even worse some still have beer in them!

• edited January 2020

Even if you do put plastic in the recycling, there's a chance it will just be shipped to Asia and abandoned or even burned. Reusable cups would be a good start. The club could also incentivise people to use their own for hot drinks or at least bring in fully biodegradable ones. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-48581673/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-finds-uk-plastic-waste-abandoned-in-malaysia

• All for environmental changes 2pm kick offs make sense to me at first glance.

Anyone seriously suggesting regionalising league 1 is no football fan to me, that would decrease Wycombe's footprint because (some) people would just lose interest. Horrible idea

• edited January 2020

@Username said:
    All for environmental changes 2pm kick offs make sense to me at first glance.

Anyone seriously suggesting regionalising league 1 is no football fan to me, that would decrease Wycombe's footprint because (some) people would just lose interest. Horrible idea

Agree. Regionalising league 1, presumably mixed in with league 2, just totally rules out the years of struggle and toil to get to this status.

It's down there with having no relegation, or that "39th" game in the Premier league in the horrible ideas catalogue.

• My preference would be to merge L2 with the National League making L2 North and L2 south keeping L1 as it is.

• As in cricket, so in football. Everything idea the governing authorities have to improve it are terrible.

• Regionalising seems like a great idea until you realise we would be consigned to play Plymouth and Bristol Rovers until the end of time.

These games are neither local or exciting.

I'm not sure how you split regions to reduce travel. I don't see how it can ever work.

Trump has dismissed climate change today anyway. And they have regionalisation in the NFL

• I think the 2pm ko is a good idea and for some reasons beyond environmental. For instance, it would take some pressure off the returning home in time to go out for the evening dilemma and also be marginally warmer for the game.

• The real way to stop global warming have to be targeted at big industry.

Turning the floodlights off wont shift the needle. The top 20 > @floyd said:

As in cricket, so in football. Everything idea the governing authorities have to improve it are terrible.

If it's a Shaun Harvey idea, you know its utterly abject anyway.

• Every little helps......