Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Promotion credentials.......

Been doing some digging and in terms of club size etc, there is some sync with the Burton Albion promotion of 15/16 to the Championship.

Burton were promoted by a point on the final game. League table that year reads they lost 11 games, scored 57 and were smashed 4-0 by Fleetwood (finished outside playoff spots). League included the likes of Wigan, Sheffield United, Barnsley, Cov and Peterborough.

They were knocked out of both cups early, like us also. Lucas Atkins was top scorer with 12 goals. Bayo is tracking slightly better with 7 to his name currently.

We are tracking with a similar trajectory this season. We are slightly better placed in terms of goals scored and games lost but Burton were slightly better in regards to goals conceded.

The way I see it, is tighten up a little defensively, and repeat what we’ve achieved first half and we have a real chance.

Also interestingly Darius Charles was signed by Burton on a free transfer that season before loaning out to Wimbledon. Could well be an omen.

Time to get Adams Park rocking for the run in........

«1

Comments

  • You're saying we should send Darius out on loan?

  • @HCblue - it’s more the Darius link to both clubs.

    Be both surprised and dismayed if he was loaned out!

  • Plenty to be optimistic about for those who want to be.

  • However, at this stage of the season (the 14th Jan), they were 1 point clear of 2nd with 2 games in hand. They were 14 points ahead of 7th, as opposed to our 6 points (having played a game more than everyone else). They had 51 points after 24 games, we have 44 after 25. 10 points separates from 1st to 14th today- on this day in 2016 10 points separated 1st and 5th (and if they won their games in hand, it would only separate 1st and 4th). That's the main difference - the number of clubs within touching distance of the top

  • Thanks for that @Tom. Saved me going outside to get a bucket of cold water to throw

  • @Tom said:
    However, at this stage of the season (the 14th Jan), they were 1 point clear of 2nd with 2 games in hand. They were 14 points ahead of 7th, as opposed to our 6 points (having played a game more than everyone else). They had 51 points after 24 games, we have 44 after 25. 10 points separates from 1st to 14th today- on this day in 2016 10 points separated 1st and 5th (and if they won their games in hand, it would only separate 1st and 4th). That's the main difference - the number of clubs within touching distance of the top

    But they didn't have Gareth Ainsworth. or Matt Bloomfield. Or Bayo. or Darius Charles. or Dom Gape. We can't lose.

  • I’m convinced Fred is our trump card.

    I think he could be the difference for us. Plays with that little bit of swagger that rubs off on those around him.

    @Tom - all this is true and data moves around over the course of a season. Our snapshot would have looked very different 5 games ago and probably will in 5 games time.

    I’m looking at relative size of the club etc and overall playing squad. Looking at their results across the season they had a high proportion of clean sheets, their top marksman finished with 12 in the league.

    This suggests Clough’s overall gameplay had similarities with us. Resolute, hard working and then looking at set pieces etc to win games.

    This however is all relative, but to return to my earlier point. If we can tighten up defensively, like Burton in recent history, we could replicate that achievement.

  • Agreed. With a few exceptions most teams I've seen us play (including us) are beatable as results around us show. No-one is really setting the league alight as yet. With a bit of luck and our 'new player' returning in January there is still hope we can be competing for the top slots!

  • edited January 14

    Something I didn't realise until just now is that we've scored as many goals (16) in the 17 games without Fred as in the 8 with him. He wasn't on the pitch for a lot of those goals, but is it fair to say he helped wear teams out before going off/his presence made us set up in a way which ultimately helped us? Regardless, I cannot wait to have him back!

  • Burton comparison was interesting. Could a Stato do the same for Yeovil’s promotion season?

  • edited January 14

    @perfidious_albion said:
    Burton comparison was interesting. Could a Stato do the same for Yeovil’s promotion season?

    Yeovil finished 4th, scoring 71 (the third most in the division that season) but conceding a high-ish 56. Won 23, drew 8 (the joint fewest) and lost 15. Won 5 by 3+ goals and lost 3 by the same margin (2 v teams who didn't make the play-offs). Top scorer Paddy Madden got 22, second top scorer James Hayter 14. Beat Sheffield United in play-off semi-final and Brentford in final. Went out of League Cup in second round and FA Cup in first round.

  • @chairboyscentral said:

    @perfidious_albion said:
    Burton comparison was interesting. Could a Stato do the same for Yeovil’s promotion season?

    Yeovil finished 4th, scoring 71 (the third most in the division that season) but conceding a high-ish 56. Won 23, drew 8 (the joint fewest) and lost 15. Won 5 by 3+ goals and lost 3 by the same margin (2 v teams who didn't make the play-offs). Top scorer Paddy Madden got 22, second top scorer James Hayter 14. Beat Sheffield United in play-off semi-final and Brentford in final. Went out of League Cup in second round and FA Cup in first round.

    Thanks Great research.
    Just look what happened to them!

  • @perfidious_albion Yeah, they lost the best part of half a million pushing for promotion (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26247433) and then it was all downhill from there really.

  • At the same stage of the 2012/13 season, Yeovil were on 42 points, having played 27 games - putting them in 8th. They were 11 points behind leaders Tranmere. They finished 4th on 77 points, with Tranmere dropping down to 11th - claiming just 14 more points from their final 19 games.

  • Remember Mark Palmer saying Yeovil's problem was that they got promoted?

    Maybe that's why he left Wycombe

  • edited January 15

    Perhaps our recent performances indicate we are taking notice of Mark Palmer's warning about promotion!

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • This is the first public acknowledgement of Marks departure. Did I miss it being announced elsewhere?

  • A recent Seasonal Update (email)!from Trevor Stroud announced (inter alia) that Rob Couhig had informed the Trust Board that, to enable him to pursue other opportunities in the football world, Mark Palmer would no longer be involved with his team on a day to day basis but that he would still be involved in the background with WWFC. So presumably no longer lined up to be a member of the club management board (if indeed I am correct in thinking that was the original intention).

  • Quite strange though. He was bigged up as a really important part of the package, was going to sit on the board and was a pretty big part of the overall deal we were asked to vote on

    I wonder what happened?

  • I thought it was young Pete with his CBA credentials who was seen as the more “hands on” and important member of the team, with Mark in a more advisory role - ie one which would require less of a presence.

  • @micra said:
    I thought it was young Pete with his CBA credentials who was seen as the more “hands on” and important member of the team, with Mark in a more advisory role - ie one which would require less of a presence.

    CBA? I only know one meaning of that and it probably wouldn't be ideal for someone on the board of a football club!

  • Cost/Benefit Analysis. He was gently twitted at one of the early (possibly first) meetings about his predilection (?obsession) with CBA and I was very pleased at the time to hear it. Insufficient attention has sometimes seemed to be paid to such a key financial consideration.

  • It was Rob himself I think who mentioned it.
    I’m sure Pete (great bloke) CAN be arsed!

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • @micra Fair enough! Good bloke is Pete.

  • I'm glad that no one has ever gently twitted my predilections!!

  • I have @Twizz, many many times but you’ve always rightly ignored me.

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • edited January 15

    Is Mark Palmer working from home now then?

  • @fame_46 said:
    I’m convinced Fred is our trump card.

    I think he could be the difference for us. Plays with that little bit of swagger that rubs off on those around him.

    I tend to agree regarding Fred. We don't have any other attacking player that combines pace, strength, trickery and a goal threat all in one. The other attackers all have some of those skills but can be nullified by the right defensive strategy (I.e a high line to keep Bayo out of the box, outmuscling Kashkett and Smyth etc). Having Fred in the side forces teams to stand off us a little more and always gives us a chance to get behind the opposing full back, even against a well organised defence. That can make a huge difference, both directly but also indirectly insofar as it creates more room for other players.

  • @Wendoverman said:
    Is Mark Palmer working from home now then?

    @Babs said:
    "Is he on holiday?"

    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/83d79b3b-66b1-484e-9b29-fd42b2b9170c

Sign In or Register to comment.