Skip to content

Gasroom relevence

edited January 2020 in Football

Is there any point in the Gasroom now it has basically become an advert for 'chairboys central' with his/her half baked stats?

The spirit of the gasroom is fish puns and nostalgia for me. {not quite half 3 @micra ?)

Comments

• I understand you wanting to carp on about days gone by, but you should allow a plaice for new perspectives too.

• Sigh....halibut / hell of it

• The alternative is Twitter - where you can have your fishcake and tweet it.

• edited January 2020

Care to expand, @Trouser_McTrouserson?

• I wouldn't fret on it @chairboyscentral - that post was at 1.43am, so likely booze-fuelled. I'm sure the vast majority of us here really appreciate and enjoy your articles.

And please - no more fish puns. They give me a migraine. Or some kind of bad haddock.

• Life is meaningless, there is no point to anything. Gasroom if you enjoy it, and don’t if you don’t.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I wouldn't fret on it @chairboyscentral - that post was at 1.43am, so likely booze-fuelled. I'm sure the vast majority of us here really appreciate and enjoy your articles.

And please - no more fish puns. They give me a migraine. Or some kind of bad haddock.

I don't mind if people like them or not! But I will stand up for myself if I need to.

• edited January 2020

@fame_46 said:
    @chairboyscentral - I agree with him to a certain degree. I feel you are moving into the same territory as our very own terrace drummer.

In my opinion you overcook things a little and become a little passive aggressive in your writing style. Example being the transfer speculation thread and responses to potential transfer speculation.

Your stats and observations are generally good but you’ve turned into the Gasroom drummer and it’s a little annoying.

Sometimes less is more.

What is it? Overcooked or half-baked? ? As I said the other day, I was trying to take a backseat because I find the whole thing (online football chat in general - which is necessary to an extent for the site) mentally exhausting - but the drummer comparison is an odd one to make.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 Tbh, as much as I find it exhausting, I'm interested in all aspects of football - particularly Wycombe obviously - so will naturally debate them. So it can be difficult. Mind you, I was thinking of not posting at all other than my usual content, but I think that's too far the other way.

• I was a bit harsh there. @chairboyscentral clearly loves WWFC as we all do and does have a lot of decent content.

• If more people came up with good original content, ChairboysCentral's contribution wouldn't seem so substantial.

Easy for someone to criticise from the sidelines such as @Trouser_McTrouserson, who's started 2 threads since he joined 6 moths ago. One of which was this one, the other garnered 0 responses.

• edited January 2020

@OxfordBlue said:
    If more people came up with good original content, ChairboysCentral's contribution wouldn't seem so substantial.

This, with bells on.

Carry on the good work, Tom, and comment as much or as little as you wish. There are few on here less likely to be argumentative or unconstructive, in my observation.

• edited January 2020

Tom’s out here creating the best original content since the first Gasman and this is the thanks he gets?!

• Indeed. I may not agree with everything you write Tom, but your contributions are significant, always interesting and massively appreciated.

• @floyd said:
    Tom’s out here creating the best original content since the first Gasman and this is the thanks he gets?!

Gasman being Paul Lewis, right?

• Yeah, his site is an absolute gold mine!

• What the ? Are we really attacking someone who creates stuff for us to read on the Gasroom? Which is a football forum? And comparing him to the drummer? People will be complaining about sarcasm and faux outrage soon! @chairboyscentral I salute you, but try to keep on the beat and make sure you take plenty of drink breaks!

• @chairboyscentral Paul was an absolute pioneer, and a great follow on Twitter, although i'm guessing you already knew that.

• I’m glad people start topics on here. I’ve only managed 9 and I’ve been here since the opening day.

That said, every poster should check their discussions started / comments made ratio. A score of greater than
    0.1 denotes an egomaniac at work!

• @floyd said:

I agree the content produced by chairboys central is good, but the best original content since the Gasman? This may be overlooking the fantastic Electric Chairboys.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/gas/electric/index.htm

• Chairboyscentral...great work..please keep it up

• Much better than the tired long-winded and repetitive “satire” of the Electric Chairboys outpourings if the Alan Smith example is anything to go by.

Keep right on @chairboyscentral .

• Good stuff from you @chairboyscentral, I really appreciate it and please keep it up.

• @micra said:
    Much better than the tired long-winded and repetitive “satire” of the Electric Chairboys outpourings if the Alan Smith example is anything to go by.

Keep right on @chairboyscentral .

I always enjoyed Electric Chairboys.

I think it's brilliant that people take the time to create websites, fanzines, podcasts, newsletters, Twitter accounts, balloon animals, etc - all part of the rich tapestry of the club.

• There's probably a balance between wanting to be first to bring things to people and overposting or spamming that we don't always all get right.
    There's also a balance between enjoying or even protecting the Gasroom community and being a massive arse when you can just disagree or ignore. Bit much of that on here last few days or so for me but each to their own.

• I disagree...

• @peterparrotface said

I think it's brilliant that people take the time to create websites, fanzines, podcasts, newsletters, Twitter accounts, balloon animals, etc - all part of the rich tapestry of the club.

Completely agree @peterparrotface. And if Paul Lewis was one of the prime movers and shakers, let me take this opportunity to say that I have the utmost respect for him and all his efforts over many decades as a true supporter of Wycombe Wanderers.

I think several factors came into play when I posted late last night. Firstly, I am very old and with deteriorating eyesight I struggle sometimes to read what is inevitably very small print on the tiny screen of my iPhone. (If I was confident about getting to grips with an iPad, I should probably bite the bullet and buy one!). I must have chosen the wrong piece (re Alan Smith) to read at such a late hour, especially as it was in a black typeface against a blue background and there was endless repetition.

Perhaps if I’d read the same piece 25 years ago when I wasn’t quite such a grumpy old git I would have enjoyed it more.