Skip to content

Comments

• edited January 2020

Thanks again, Tom. I think I could have been persuaded higher for Allsop. Aside from the highlights save in the first half, which was nonetheless a good one, there was one in the second half, low down to his left, that struck me as quietly really excellent, albeit from the other end of the ground, and kept us in it.

• Freeman a 7 !?!?

• edited January 2020

Willing to be talked round, but I don't think Freeman was bad so much as quiet - he did dig us out of some tight spots in possession, including one in particular with a cross-field pass almost behind himself which I don't think any Ipswich players saw coming. Won so much in the air as well, which you don't necessarily associate with him. Not his best game but still a good showing imo.

• Hey ho, we all have different opinions or it would be boring, was going to question Bloomfields 7 as well but didnt want to start a riot. Wheeler was the official MoM and even he said it should of been Samuel

• edited January 2020

I suppose I'm still perfecting my system, but I don't think anyone had a bad game - Smyth and Phillips a bit lower for the reasons I've given.

• I think they are accurate ratings i would probably knock Bloomfield and Freeman down half a point. They both finished strongly but I don’t think they did quite enough in the first hour to justify a 7/10. I agree with the rest. Big fan of Stewart and Charles. How Charles has spent most of his career in league 2 is beyond me his positioning is brilliant.

• @SuperBlue said:
    I think they are accurate ratings i would probably knock Bloomfield and Freeman down half a point. They both finished strongly but I don’t think they did quite enough in the first hour to justify a 7/10. I agree with the rest. Big fan of Stewart and Charles. How Charles has spent most of his career in league 2 is beyond me his positioning is brilliant.

Or how he was ever played up front when he's such a natural smooth defender.

• edited January 2020

@Malone said:

@SuperBlue said:
    I think they are accurate ratings i would probably knock Bloomfield and Freeman down half a point. They both finished strongly but I don’t think they did quite enough in the first hour to justify a 7/10. I agree with the rest. Big fan of Stewart and Charles. How Charles has spent most of his career in league 2 is beyond me his positioning is brilliant.

... and a far from obviously clinical finisher...

• Didn't he hit the bar at Tranmere with a really deft, chipped volley from the edge of the box? Attempted like it was nothing. Would have been an absolutely pure Charles goal.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Wheeler was the official MoM and even he said it should of been Samuel

Official MOTM was Samuel but he was hauled off for an official EFL drugs test and Wheeler came out and talked to the crowd in the Caledonian post match in his place. This was categorically stated before Wheeler's interview.

• Wow must of missed that haha cheers

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@SuperBlue said:

... and a far from obviously clinical finisher...

I remember him utterly clattering Ingram away at Stevenage a few years ago leading to their first goal. Up front that day but i don't remember much else about him.

• I must admit...he may have a long throw but I would prefer Smyth was on the pitch than on the touchline for throw-ins myself.

• I just don't think Freeman can afford to be quiet. In and out of the side, clearly wants to be the number 10 (possibly the only position we could really do with improving) gets a chance and doesn't offer much.

• It might not have helped that he was playing on the left for much of the game. I suppose I pinned my hopes on us altering our style to better accommodate him when he was showing great form early in the season, but that's not going to happen and it doesn't need to. I think he's going to have to continue to bide his time and get a run-out in the busier periods.

• Well, Gareth kept him on so I assume he thought he was doing alright. (unless my memory is failing along with my score predictions.)

• Freeman quietly got on with doing his job I thought, we just didn't really get any of the dazzling stuff we've become used to. I only remember one of his trademark charging dribbles from his own half, I'd love to see him do more of that as not only does it mean we retain the ball but it appears to scare the bejesus out of opposition defenders who usually end up fouling him.

Allsop had one of his best games yet. His kicking seemed to land at a Wycombe player almost every time, and a few of his kicks picked out the only unmarked player.

• @chairboyscentral I would not pin your hopes 'on us altering our style ' for a time yet! :smiley:

• edited January 2020

@drcongo said:

Allsop had one of his best games yet. His kicking seemed to land at a Wycombe player almost every time, and a few of his kicks picked out the only unmarked player.

I agree his distribution was decent but this was even better for QPR’s third (58 secs in)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 said:

no doubt Gaz and Dobbo would have a plan.

Take over at Sunderland? :smiley:

• edited January 2020

@Wendoverman said:
    @chairboyscentral I would not pin your hopes 'on us altering our style ' for a time yet! :smiley:

And nor would I want us to! I was thinking, opposition fans go on and on about anti-football/hoof-ball/whatever, but do they actually think we give a stuff? I'd like to see most teams in the league pill off the move that resulted in Smyth's missed sitter - started by one of Allsop's expertly placed kicks which @drcongo alludes to.

• edited January 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree with you, Chairboyscentral. There is so much snobbish nonsense talked about football ‘style’. When they introduce a column in the league table awarding extra points for style then I’ll take more notice. In the meantime I’ll enjoy watching us employing what these people call the ‘dark arts’ whilst we sit on top of the table.

• @fame_46 said:
    No chance of altering the style of play this season. It suits the majority of the squad and it obvious we drill the game plan in the build up to a game.

The challenge would be promotion, in my opinion most of the league would play us off the park in the championship. Preston in the cup is a good example, think they gubbed us 5-0 in the end. No doubt we would be on the end of a few of those.

Still let's get there first, no doubt Gaz and Dobbo would have a plan.

People said quite similar with league 1, especially the top half. Yet here we are, half way through a season, and we're top.

We'd without any doubt be massive favourites to go down, but if football always went according to logic, it'd be a waste of time following.

But you are right, let's enjoy what could be one heck of a second half of the season!

• @glasshalffull said:
    I agree with you, Chairboyscentral. There is so much snobbish nonsense talked about football ‘style’. When they introduce a column in the league table awarding extra points for style then I’ll take more notice. In the meantime I’ll enjoy watching us employing what these people call the ‘dark arts’ whilst we sit on top of the table.

Pretty much what everyone's been saying

Happy New year Alan

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2020

@glasshalffull said:
    I agree with you, Chairboyscentral. There is so much snobbish nonsense talked about football ‘style’. When they introduce a column in the league table awarding extra points for style then I’ll take more notice. In the meantime I’ll enjoy watching us employing what these people call the ‘dark arts’ whilst we sit on top of the table.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't really enjoy watching teams like Liverpool - Oxford and Coventry at our level - but the idea that there's a right way to play is a load of bollocks. You see what happens when teams who aren't suited to it try and play style over substance - Rochdale come to mind in this division - and I'm glad we don't do it. Surely the best managers get their teams to play to their strengths and maximise the resources and players at their disposal, and that's exactly what we're getting with Gaz - and we're obviously reaping the rewards.

• @fame_46 said:
    Agreed @Malone let's enjoy the ride and football is a funny game when it comes to logic. Over the course of 46 games though, you're right we'd be favourites to go down.

The good teams have a plan, something Gaz is rigid with. Bielsa at Leeds is a good example with the high press starting from Bamford. Same plan regardless of personnel.

Money talks though even more so and most of these clubs have good academies in place. It would be great to potentially see Wayne Rooney at Adams Park next year though. ?

You could scroll down that whole championship and see mouthwatering games coming up.
    Best not to think about all the "match day experience" issues that come to light when the crowd gets over 7,000 for now though..the Couhig's will sort all that!

• Last season I thought there were very few games where we looked completely outclassed and the same this term. Obviously the game I see at Adams Park is often far, far different to the one described by our opponents. They know what we do...but we do it well and get results and it is a results business (as we keep being told).