Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• If you go out to have a smoke then you lose your spot - up to you which is most important

• edited January 2020

I think Ofoborh is pretty decent on the ball. Range of passing is there even if he doesn't find his man every time - but that pass to Samuel to put across goal for Smyth was superb. His shooting was clearly wayward, but it's refreshing to see someone have a go from distance - I'm not sure we've scored a goal from outside the box so far his season (apart from possibly his at MK in that game which didn't count).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just had a wander through the tractor boys forum and it did make me chortle. Seems they're not happy with lambert and thought it was a joke when they heard lambert had got another four years. Outside of that it was pretty even, disappointed about their inability to manage Bayo, some pedantry back an forth and usual lack of sympathy for other on their forum. Maybe you'd do well over there @eric_plant ? Funny reading it, best bit was "we have hands down the best squad in the league" and then spent the rest of the time complaining about their defence. So sameish to the gasroom but a little more sweary at times.

• @eric_plant said:
    If you go out to have a smoke then you lose your spot - up to you which is most important

What if you have to make an urgent private phone call or realise you've left something valuable in the car?

• edited January 2020

@fame_46 said:
    Long range shooting isn't our strongest asset at all. What is more worrying is our ability to retain possession at throw ins.

For me it's a basic skill of a football team, I'd love to know the stats but I'm sure it's an area to improve. More than happy to utilise the Smyth/Wheeler weapon in an attacking situation but anywhere else on the pitch it should be an opportunity to recycle the ball and build.

Going back to shooting from range, I'd like to see us look at Bryn Morris on loan. He's nowhere near the Pompey match day squad but I feel he adds something we are lacking and competition for Bloomfield in the advanced midfield role. Same for Jason Mccarthy, think he would be fantastic addition for competition and cover at both right back and central defence.

We won't get either of them in. Morris is still having trouble with a problem in his stomach area. McCarthy was ruled out for six weeks in early November with a bad toe injury so not sure he'll be fit - and we don't need competition at right-back, just cover as we literally have one player for that position.

• @peterparrotface said:

@eric_plant said:
    If you go out to have a smoke then you lose your spot - up to you which is most important

What if you have to make an urgent private phone call or realise you've left something valuable in the car?

Good points.

There needs to be a panel of 3 sitting in judgment outside the vere suite listening to pleas

• As I was there and could not listen what was his view on re-admitting smokers to the Vere suite?

• Need to get the bi-folds sorted for the promotion party anyway

• @peterparrotface said:
    Need to get the bi-folds sorted for the promotion party anyway

NOW it makes sense why Origin moved in next door and sponsor the back of the shirt.

• Hopefully post-sale the Couhig's can quickly address the wifi and catering issues as part of their matchday experience review. By all accounts these have been longstanding and frustrating issues.

Have read and heard plenty of positive comments regarding the fireworks so thumbs up for that. Don't think I really get it myself but if they are well received then great.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Hopefully post-sale the Couhig's can quickly address the wifi and catering issues as part of their matchday experience review. By all accounts these have been longstanding and frustrating issues.

Have read and heard plenty of positive comments regarding the fireworks so thumbs up for that. Don't think I really get it myself but if they are well received then great.

I'm not generally interested in that sort of thing either. But these were very well done. Proper, full-on display. Possibly projecting a bit too much but it seemed to me to be symptomatic of a person (RC) who does things properly if he thinks they are worth doing. I was impressed.

• 1888 (288 away)

• @Onlooker said:
    1888 (288 away)

Funnily enough, it probably was about that number inside the ground. I went outside and started walking up the field alongside the car park/ fireworks as they went off. There was a good number of people watching in the car park too, both by the beer tent and as they made their way away.

• I was walking to the station. It sounded nice.

• Re:the Ipswich goal, Jack Grimmer's sharp intake of breath, audible on Inside Matchday tells you what you need to know about our momentary lapse!

• I think the general bellow of what the f...???? from three sides of the ground helped as well.

• The Sky cameras didn't pick it up live either.

• @eric_plant said:

Good points.
    There needs to be a panel of 3 sitting in judgment outside the vere suite listening to pleas

Personally, I think there is an opportunity for VAR there?

• It's strange how other people see things innit? One tractor boy wrote: 'Based on yesterday's game, Allsop looked very assured in their goal, dealt with most things well and looked comfortable under pressure when dealing with balls into the box. '
    I completely agree, but I have to say it is not the general view around me!

• There was one occasion when he benefitted from the classic over-protection that goalkeepers get, but he did play it cleverly.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Personally, I think there is an opportunity for VAR there?

VAR.....Vere Arrival Regulation??

• Wheeler's goal yesterday. Had that not gone in it was a blatant penalty to us wasn't it?

I wonder if it would have been given

• @eric_plant said:
    Wheeler's goal yesterday. Had that not gone in it was a blatant penalty to us wasn't it?

I wonder if it would have been given

I thought that too @eric_plant Samuel clattered and the chance gone until.......oooooh....in it drops.
    I'm glad it went in as the ref wasn't giving us that much!

• Wheeler got clattered too tbf, but I'm sure the ref would somehow have waved away any penalty appeals.

• I have to confess to taking my eye off the subsequent action for Wheeler's goal, as I was waiting for the ref to blow up for what was surely a straight arm by Chambers to Samuel's head, right on the edge of the box. It was extraordinary. To those watching it on TV, was there any analysis of it after the goal?

On Allsop, I thought he was fantastic yesterday. The save from the header in the first half was good. The one from Judge, though, at the start of the second half, better. And his distribution and handling seemed assured to me, too.

• Samuel got absolutely smashed didn't he! Took him a while to get up to join the celebrations!
    He must hurt after games. He must take more punishment than any Wycombe player since Andy Baird.

But I suppose the key difference is that Baird tended to get smashed as he nicked balls past defenders, whereas Samuel tends to get more knocks from behind and in close exchanges.
    Probably a key difference in him still being able to play in a couple of years!