Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

12346»

Comments

• @Shev said:

@Steve_Peart said:
    Six clean sheets equals all-time record.

I have a question for anyone with access to the relevant stats from those non-league days: seeing as the six clean sheets in a row ties the all time record, does anyone have a way of finding out the record to the minute? We have not conceded since the 51st minute against Blackpool away, which is 6 x 90 + 39 = 579 minutes. It would be interesting to see how close we are to the record in minutes - or maybe only interesting to me!

@Shev, I thought about looking through the match reports on the archive site to find out but, no, I'm not going to jinx it by finding out how many minutes we need to keep a clean sheet at Oxford for an outright record. We just need another clean sheet on Saturday.

• Thanks @AlanCecil and best wishes to all the Cecil family for Christmas, the New Year (and beyond!)

• Crikey! How on earth did I confuse @ValleyWanderer with @Wendoverman? And not a drop had passed my lips.
    Humble apologies . Must ask Santa for a bigger screen.

• I’ll happily buy you a Rebellion or two, Micra.

• @micra I'll take thanks where I can get it. Have a good Christmas. All coming too soon @perfidious_albion ? I fear we'll have a long wait until we have a first 11 totally suited to championship football in league one before we get promoted.??

• Are pompey and Sunderland still favourites for automatic promotion?

• @prufrock_91 said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I can already see Ofoborh becoming one of our best midfielders. His range of passing is excellent and he puts himself about as well as anyone - a real unit. Can't half strike the ball well either!

His range of passing was excellent - his ability to hit a correctly paced pass however was incredibly frustrating.

Some he overhit, others just weren't read properly by the recipient. He's 20 years old; he'll get there.

• Indeed. A couple of times the runner was just slightly too slow but at least he was passing forward!!. When he gets his eye in and Fred and Smyth can get on the end. Tasty.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Also one or two mocking Scott Kashket's lisp, which was just plain weird and horrible.

That is bizarre.

• All the best @micra.
    I'll seek you out at some stage.
    Probably.

• edited December 2019

This is interesting: a map of all the shots we've faced in our run of one goal conceded in eight games. There's no denying that our imperious defence has been key in restricting opponents to genarally low-quality chances, but every title-chasing team (yeah, we are) needs their fair share of luck. As mentioned in the thread, Leicester in 2015/16 ?

• @micra I had the pleasure of meeting you at a Trust Meeting . Trust you are fully recovered and will have a joyful and peaceful Christmas.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    This is interesting: a map of all the shots we've faced in our run of one goal conceded in eight games. There's no denying that our imperious defence has been key in restricting opponents to genarally low-quality chances, but every title-chasing team (yeah, we are) needs their fair share of luck. As mentioned in the thread, Leicester in 2015/16 ?

Need a bit of context with that, does look fortuitous but have no idea what the average is. I'd suggest our central defenders also deserve some credit for closing down and strikers snatching at chances.

• Just from a glance at the stats for blocked shots, it looks like we block a higher proportion of shots faced than most teams in the league.

• Up to that match I had never seen one of those little-nod-hold-your-face-go-down-like a-sack-of-spuds-as-if-you've-been-headbutted scenarios up close before. It was rather sad.

• He couldn't have picked a worse spot to do it either: in full view of the ref, fourth official and probably the assistant on that side.

• And Nigel. Admittedly Curtis was messing about with the ball for no good reason but shameful scenes!

• @woodlands said:
    @micra I had the pleasure of meeting you at a Trust Meeting . Trust you are fully recovered and will have a joyful and peaceful Christmas.

I’ll rack the remnants of grey matter trying to recall some of the people (very few, to be honest) that I’ve chatted to at meetings.
    Matchdays are a different matter. It can take me half an hour to get from the main gates to the Woodland Lounge via programme sellers (both huts) and reception (where it’s possible to have brief chats with “off duty” players).

I appreciate your good wishes. The medical episodes which afflict me are transient (45 minutes on average but sometimes up to a couple of hours) but potentially very serious as the old ticker usually hovers around 150-180. It’s like switching a light on and off though and, before and after, I’m just fine.

I hope you and yours also have an enjoyable Christmas and New Year with three more points safely stashed away!

• I’ve just returned from a visit to the Brewers forum and one of the posts reminded me of the Burton player Steve Quinn incident. I’d forgotten about his appalling play acting in an attempt to get Curtis a red after the win.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    My Derby fan attendee also mentioned their 2006/07 season. They were promoted to the Premier League at the end of the season having scuffed / ‘won ugly’ etc. They were totally unprepared for the leap. I think they went down 07/08 with a record low points total.
    Like everyone I am loving our amazing run, just have this worry, is it too much too soon.

I wouldn’t worry if Gareth was still at the helm.

After sacking Billy Davies, Derby got Paul Jewell in and he’d literally given up by Christmas. He constantly gave interviews going on about how they weren’t good enough and how he couldn’t wait for next season. Derby fans entirely blame Davies for that relegation, but as a neutral who worked locally, I thought Jewell’s attitude was dreadful.

I can’t imagine Gareth or his team ever throwing in the towel like that.

• edited December 2019