Skip to content

Our back 5

2»

Comments

• Nice one @MindlessDrugHoover ! True words and jests excepted (or should that be accepted)?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @YorkExile must admit I was not aware of him, but it seems he was not really given a chance at QPR.

Be great if Smyth isn’t given a chance at QPR but the fact that Les Ferdinand was watching him on Saturday doesn’t augur well in that respect.

• I hope I’m wrong and that it was just a coach doing his job and monitoring the development of one of his charges.

• @micra isn't Smyth a year long loan? And as he's just come back from an injury I doubt he will walk back into the QPR team...whereas he has hobbled right back into ours!

• Believe they have an option to recall Smyth in January.

One of my favourite things about our back five is how calm they are on the ball. Charles in particular was extremely calm yesterday, casually knocking the ball to the midfield with Ipswich pressing.

• W. D. D. Charles aka ‘The Chiltern Paul McGrath’. Can anybody explain how he didn’t play at a higher level in his younger days?

• he wasn't a vegan?

• For me, as outstanding defenders and capable ball players and passers, all three of JJ’s fellow defenders are on a par with him but of course (at least this season) he has an unassailable edge when it comes to assists and spectacular set pieces.
    It’s so very important that their long unbroken spell together remains intact.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    W. D. D. Charles aka ‘The Chiltern Paul McGrath’. Can anybody explain how he didn’t play at a higher level in his younger days?

He was playing in the Conference until the age of 22!

• I remember him playing up front for Stevenage way back.

Keeping him and Stewart fit is arguably priority number 1. Every other position we have like for like replacements, in terms of quality anyway.

Philips has shown promise and Sido has shown he can be effective at Cb, and I'm happy with them for the odd game when Charles needs a rest or a 1 game suspension, but I think we'd be really hurt if either of them were out for any period of time.

• Amazing to think Sido and El-Abd were keeping Stewart out of the team for most of the 2nd half of last season!
    It must also be about the longest start to a season he's had without suffering a niggly injury to keep him out for a week or two, and long may that continue.

• @Croider said:
    Amazing to think Sido and El-Abd were keeping Stewart out of the team for most of the 2nd half of last season!
    It must also be about the longest start to a season he's had without suffering a niggly injury to keep him out for a week or two, and long may that continue.

Ssshhhhh don't jinx it!!

But I can only imagine we've got a mix of Pep's "Barcelona doctor" and Jamie Vardy's "refuelling" to keep both him and Charles in one piece!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    But it means nothing. NOTHING. Because we lost an FA Cup replay. The entire squad should be crucified from lampposts along Wycombe High Street while fans wear sack cloth and ashes and weep uncontrollably. BWK.

At the very least! ...and then disband the club.

I’ve controlled the weeping but getting the ashes out of my hair is proving a little more tricky. Not that I want to carp on about it or anything.