Skip to content

Ex-Player No News

So Anthony Stewart's loan will be ending soon. He has not had it renewed for the play-offs I assume. So what now? Crewe stayed up, Stewart played a handful of games but was largely on the bench for the latter part of the season. He does not seem like he will yield a ton of cash on that basis.
@ing up a year of his playing career or us for losing out on another young talent?

Comments

• He signed for Crewe on a permanent deal in January however he is out of contract this summer. Maybe he will reject a proposed contract from them for a championship side and spend another few months not playing. Ill-advised and such a shame, because he has too much talent to be wasting the most important years of his career.

• Another case I suspect of an agent advising a player for their own benefit, rather than what is best for the players career.....and if he hadn't left, I doubt Mawson would have been seen in a Wycombe shirt this season.

• shame for him and his career but very pleased we got Mawson in the quarters this season

• Stewart never was, and never will be, in the same class as Mawson.

• He was a foolish boy, although I do think he and Pierre would have made a great team at the back. Having said that to watch Alfie this season has been a pleasure!

• green armyyýyyy

• Anthony Stewart has been released by Crewe

• He should sack his agent, serves him right!

• Well I am guessing we still hold his registration and that was probably a factor in Crewe signing him or not. For free, he may have been an option for £££ maybe not. And why should we give him away.
    So if we hold his registration for another year what now?

• I'm fairly sure he signed a deal with them back in January (rather than being on loan) so it's nothing to do with us any more.

• Did we get any money for him or not?

• I think we got a small fee which, whatever the amount, is more then he will ever be worth.

• Would you take him back?

• Yep, this confirms that he left the club permanently in January - http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/article/anthony-stewart-makes-crewe-switch-permanent-2185005.aspx

Where now for him? Clubs weren't exactly clamouring for him before, and now there will be literally hundreds of other players in competition with him on the free market. What a waste of his talent.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Would you take him back?

No way, we have a good spirit and the contempt he showed us, he deserves what he gets

• What a shame, Anthony Stewart could have developed and matured under GA, thus would have been playing in promotion side too, getting lots of games under his belt and good exposure.

Unfortunately Anthony Stewart had another agenda. I imagine there will be few quality players GA will look at after this campaign for back positions and Anthony Stewart won't be one of them.

Had your chance Anthony Stewart, you sow what you reap.

• 'you sow what you reap.' How does that work?

Think he will have to drop down to conference level where there should be plenty of clubs prepared to pay him a wage, if not a good one. There was no obvious indication last season that he was unhappy so his spat with the club is probably the only major blot on his record. Shouldn't put too many clubs off at that level. Personally, I hope he's learnt his lesson and sacked his agent!

• @Bluebottle said:
    'you sow what you reap.' How does that work?

Think he will have to drop down to conference level where there should be plenty of clubs prepared to pay him a wage, if not a good one. There was no obvious indication last season that he was unhappy so his spat with the club is probably the only major blot on his record. Shouldn't put too many clubs off at that level. Personally, I hope he's learnt his lesson and sacked his agent!

Yeah, it can be reap what you sow, or simply put it, "sow, shall you reap".

Everything happens, is a result of your own actions.

• You are more likely to reap what you so than sow what you reap I would have thought. But you are dead right.

• "sow" not "so" !! So there you are. (micra mucks up again)

• Chicken and egg situation?!

• His agent is just a sow & sow!! sorry so & so !!