Skip to content

Comments

• Thank you @chairboyscentral, that was excellent and certainly made me smile.

• "Pyramid of inspiration"

Classic stuff, thanks for these @chairboyscentral

• Great words, especially the final paragraph. I really enjoy the way you bring cold statistics to life with clever and amusing asides. Let the League One intelligentsia moan about us for as long as they like, 36 points from 17 games proves beyond any doubt that this squad is the real deal.
    We’ll lose again at some point, but any team that beats us this season will have to battle every inch of the way to overcome these boys.

• Thanks guys! I try to get the balance right between those "cold" stats and a lighter side. There's some great pure tactical stuff out there, but they're usually written by people with access to greater depth of data. I'm still mixing things up and seeing what works best, but hopefully I'll be there by the end of the season.

• Ah yeah, that's a decent site. Tbh, I'm playing fast and loose with the definition of analysis as I usually go into full fan mode by the end haha. Hard not to at the moment.

• @chairboyscentral

Ohhh that is niceeee

“There’s no hierachy at Wycombe, rather a pyramid of inspiration. It trickles down from the top and imbues everyone with the same kind of unwavering determination. Above all, though, you can see clear as blue that every single player who pulls on the quarters does so with genuine pride. I don’t think you can say the same for many teams these days.”

• Thanks as ever Tom. I still miss Vital's excellent previews/reviews/opposition views but these features are really great and as other have said, I like how you mix the cold hard stats with lively prose.

• @chairboyscentral Do I remember you saying you would you have better (more?) data to work with if it was payed for? I am sure some of us would chip in to facilitate that, I get the feeling there are many like myself who very much appreciate the effort you go to producing this analysis so often.

• Yes good idea @NorsQuarters, I'd be happy to donate a tenner.

• edited November 2019

excellent stuff @chairboyscentral no need for any extra maths from my point of view.
    I think another issue for the team I think is no-one wants to be in the team that loses and ends our good run...they've all been in teams fighting back from behind and know it's not over until its over. Which is great. So many times in the past we've defended beaver-like but been undone with a single late goal and heads have dropped. Now they all know we can come back from 3-1 down and win, we can come back from 3-1 and draw, etc etc.

• If I fork out for Wyscout or similar, I could look at things in much greater detail, yeah. Thats's a very kind offer, thank you, but I'd feel bad about asking for donations through Patreon or whatever at this stage. I know other blogs/sites do it, though, so maybe I'll see how it's going a little while from now!

• I'll put in if @chairboyscentral gets the requisite 75% of the vote

• edited November 2019

WhoScored.com is the best for free data. I especially like the 'Chalkboard' feature they do: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1382067/Live/England-League-One-2019-2020-Tranmere-Wycombe

I find SofaScore better for player-by-player stats: https://www.sofascore.com/wycombe-wanderers-tranmere-rovers/bbsmb

They both source from Opta, so it's all the same data.

• @chairboyscentral In all seriousness, if the quality keeps improving as it has, you should feel no shame in asking for donations by this time next year, if not earlier.

• Waiting for promotion to the Championship, then @chairboyscentral will be able to charge more for the sponsorship deal ?.
    Only kidding, it's a great service that you do for all chairboys fans and is very much appreciated. No reason why you shouldn't try to monetize it tbh.

• I'd have to look into it, although I know that to put ads on the site and try and do it that way - which is tough - I'd need to pay for a WordPress upgrade. The aim at the moment is to keep growing the audience. Currently trying to crack Facebook, which I despise but is a necessary evil if you're running a website.

• Putting ads on it would definitely not be worthwhile @chairboyscentral, it'll never pay enough even to cover the Wordpress costs and ad blocker usage is huge these days.

I've never bothered with ads on this site, other than a tiny link to my own company right at the bottom of every page. Talking of which, if anyone needs a website designing and building, click that link please.

I'd chip in to a Patreon though.

• I would happily do so too