Skip to content

Paperless programmes

Went to Barnet / Stockport at the Hive today. Shocked to find they sell no paper programmes at all. They just give out a team sheet. Staff seemed embarrassed about this and supporters I spoke to said it was just imposed on them when they dropped out of the EFL. I think it's all on line. Does anyone know f any club that has gone down this route and completely withdrawn paper editions As a traditionalist I find this worrying.

Comments

• I sometimes go and watch Barwell in the Southern League Premier. Their programmes are on-line download only, but not all clubs in that league are the same. Coalville Town still had a paper programme last time I visited (this season).

• Lewes have an online-only programme.

• Think there's a couple, fully expect it to be the norm within a few years

• A bit of a shame but seems to be the way forward.
    How do you stop people just sharing one online copy between everyone they know? But i suppose same question with the printed ones.

• Surely if you can sign up to receiving printed programmes by post this would cut out the concern of having hard copies left over. This would seem to be a fair compromise if cost and waste is a serious issue.

• I stopped buying programmes last season. I don't have the space to store them, they are relatively expensive and the content was never compelling enough for me. They are in competition with online sources of information and, long term, are probably doomed.

Thame United are a local club who no longer produce paper ones, they are all downloadable for free - https://www.thamefootball.co.uk/d/documents.html?group_id=12507.

I understand why they do it, it's a hassle producing them for their very small crowds, they may have lost money doing it and the online copy deadline will be much closer to matchday, so more up to date. The online version might even have more content in, free from the size constraints of a paper one. It would be interesting to know download numbers versus previous paper sales, advertisers would want to know that.

• Marlow FC are another club without a paper programme. It was “too much trouble” according to the official I spoke to. As a traditionalist I find this very disappointing.

Nevertheless, clubs should still try and produce a paper programme - but more of a teamsheet & information leaflet. 8 pages for £1 is perfectly adequate. I think clubs try & pad out their programmes with waffle to try & justify the cost. Most of the time you can predict exactly what a manager will say - which just makes for dull reading.

So don’t throw the baby out with the bath-water, just produce something cheap, informative and you can glean information from while drinking your half-time cup of tea.

• I’ve mixed feelings. I have literally stacks of weighty programmes going back the best part of ten seasons. I’ve started picking out some that I’d like to retain (though not quite sure why!) and would like to recycle the rest but haven’t been able to establish whether the laminated (?) paper can be put in the kerbside box. Only one way to find out I suppose!

• Put it out in the box @micra and I will send my lad round to nick them in the early hours! :wink: -)

• Couldn’t he just take the lot @EwanHoosaami ?

• Very kind, @micra, but anymore WWFC stuff in my house & I run the risk of the wrath of the current encumbent to the title of Mrs @EwanHoosaami

• I went to watch Beaconsfield Town yesterday and was surprised to be given a very glossy programme as I paid my entrance money.