Skip to content

American Football

Comments

• My memory is poor but everyone who wanted a ticket for Stamford Bridge got one didn't they? Did we even sell out?

• Everyone?

• Shocker on the 18,500/19,500 from me, but Chelsea away certainly wasn't the free for all the home game was.
    So to hear 2 randoms going and sacking it off because they couldn't follow the idea of the game being about kicking the round thing into the net isn't great.

• I honestly don't think we sold out our allocation. I could be wrong

• http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/news0607/2007_01_23_chelsea_sf2.htm

"Wycombe were backed by a noisy 6,000"

Sounds likely to have been the full allocation to me.

• Just checked chairboys.co.uk and we did in fact sell our 6,000 allocation so maybe there were fans who wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket

Not sure they were like gold dust though. I certainly didn't know anyone that was unable to get a ticket

• Unless you know the whole of Wycombe and anyone with any interest in the team, I'd say that latter line is totally irrelevant.

However, maybe "gold dust" was over doing it, but tickets were certainly not as easy to get as the home game, which I took 4 others too.
    None of which I may add buggered off at half time.

• It's not irrelevant

• You're judging the whole demand of the game based on you personally not hearing of anyone wanting a ticket not getting one.

• @eric_plant said:
    It's not irrelevant

Subjective at best.

• @Malone said:
    You're judging the whole demand of the game based on you personally not hearing of anyone wanting a ticket not getting one.

No I'm not, but it's not important. Calm down and enjoy your Sunday evening

• @eric_plant said:
    Just checked chairboys.co.uk and we did in fact sell our 6,000 allocation so maybe there were fans who wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket

Not sure they were like gold dust though. I certainly didn't know anyone that was unable to get a ticket

'Everyone'

• Do you recall them being like gold dust Righty?

• Relax fellas, Eric didn't hear of anyone wanting a ticket who didn't get one, so obviously demand was exactly 6,000.

Simples.

• @Malone @eric_plant I was over on business in the uk at the time (coincidence much) and they were with me. We met up with my mates in the falcon and pubbed it up to the bridge (which the septics enjoyed), I was in the Wycombe end but got them tickets in the Home seats as I believe the Wycombe tickets were sold out on the morning of the game.

• On the morning of the game?

That settles that then

• @eric_plant said:
    Do you recall them being like gold dust Righty?

I do. That stressful time after beating Charlton until a ticket for the away leg being in my hand still lives with me in some post traumatic way. Maybe your brain has managed to stop you remembering back? Lucky you.

• I've lost track of who's being serious and who's taking the piss

• "everyone"

• Wonderful memories... booked flights over from Oslo, turned up at Charlton and went down to get a ticket, none there of course, tried to hide colours and get in the home end, turned back and went down the train station asking everyone walking past for a spare ticket until someone said their mate hadn't made it and I got in with them!

I couldn't make it for the Chelsea tie at AP but went to a cellar pub in Oslo and found myself the lone Wycombe fan in a sea of blue Samsumgs, happened to stand next to an all-American football player (keeping on thread) named "Tiny" and asked if he wouldn't mind backing me up if I cheered Wycombe on as if I was on the Terrace followed by 90 minutes of raucous chanting, super sour glances and a draw that felt more like a victory than perhaps any I have seen.

Needless to say I bought tickets to Stamford Bridge as soon as they came on sale and was proud to sing the blues in the top tier there. These memories will stay with me forever and I look forward to making more this season.

It is truly a great time to be a Wanderer.

COYB

• That really was a great cup run all the way through. Fulham away dishing it out to Coleman as he walked across the pitch, Stefan Oakes amazing free kick v Doncaster, outplaying a premier league team on their own ground, drawing with the best team in the country at that time and coming fairly close to beating them.......wonderful memories

• edited November 2019

Super memories indeed, especially so few years after the FA Cup run, that we all thought was a once in a lifetime job.

I remember the win at Notts County as well, but the feelings of scoring, then holding on away at Charlton, and then THAT goal v Chelsea were incredible.

Will always regret Tommy Doc playing that utterly mad ball across the box for Chelsea's first goal at Stamford Bridge though. Yes they'd have probably overwhelmed us anyway, but we were holding strong until then.

Betsy giving Ashley Cole a right going over, in a way even Ronaldo hadn't that season was the highlight, in what was his last game in his "real" spell for us - never getting near those heights again second time around.

• Noooo.......his performance away at Bury in Waddock's promotion season was one of the all time greatest in a Wycombe shirt

• That Bury away game is one of my favourite ever Wycombe matches.

• Froze my rocks off going to that Bury away game. Went all the way up and back on my motorbike. Windy as hell on the motorways, glad to get in their clubhouse for a warming pie and chips & then walking into the ground to see one of our fans "dressed" in a lime green mankini still make me chuckle to this day!

• @EwanHoosaami I can imagine the horror your wife must have felt when you told her thatplan!

• Sorry @Malone I never dared tell her that I had plans to wear that mankini!! :smile:

• Gone a bit berserk with the commas @Malone ! I read your excellent post of 11.46 am without being able to see the username and did the guess the poster game. Got that one wrong!

• I've brought your thumbs up back to neutral for that son

• Thanks mate.