Skip to content

Busy November schedule

Wycombe Wanderers have a busy run during November of at least seven matches, eight if the FA Cup first round match is won or goes to a replay, and maybe nine if there is a 1st round replay that is then won. There is a potential, therefore, for a continuous run of weekend match followed by midweek match followed by weekend match followed by (...) throughout the month; 9 matches in 29 days.

We do have a slightly stronger squad than in some recent seasons, but I fear it is going to be really tough to get through this period without injuries and fatigue impacting results by the end of it.

Comments

• We played six games last November and only lost the two cup ones. If we rotate sensibly, I think we'll be fine. Good thing two of them are tinpot trophy games.

• Now we can properly rotate in the EFL trophy games, we should be golden

• I suppose the only slight worry is that the cup/trophy games could disrupt the league rhythm a little.

• I'm old enough to remember being told that october was the month we were going to start struggling.

• Is our November any busier than others?

• Has anyone said if we can get through (insert month here) we'll have a much better idea of where we really stand and how the season is going to pan out?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Is our November any busier than others?

Busier than some, since we have two EFL Trophy matches scheduled in November whilst others have played them earlier and three clubs will have a Bury break.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Has anyone said if we can get through (insert month here) we'll have a much better idea of where we really stand and how the season is going to pan out?

If we can get through April still in the top 2 I reckon we're onto something good.

• edited October 2019

I'm pretty sure playing all the loanees and a long-serving player plus any six is enough to avoid a fine in the EFL Trophy.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Has anyone said if we can get through (insert month here) we'll have a much better idea of where we really stand and how the season is going to pan out?

To be fair, I think it was said of October, and now October has happened, and now everyone knows we're genuinely really good. I personally think that the Ipswich postponement actually ended up doing us a favour, and November is clearly going to be very tough going purely on the number of games we've got.

• As much as we need to stay grounded, it'll help us to realise how good we are. I'm not saying he's charting a course for promotion (yet), but Gaz must be thinking a fair bit bigger than just improving on last season's position/points total.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I'm pretty sure playing all the loanees and a long-serving player plus any six is enough to avoid a fine in the EFL Trophy.

Thought it was only 4 outfield players who started in the last game, or will start the next game?

• There are a few ways you can comply, so it's quite easy tbh. I think someone posted them on here a while ago.

• edited October 2019

At least four "Qualifying Players" (outfield)

"7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy."

• @Uncle_T said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Is our November any busier than others?

Busier than some, since we have two EFL Trophy matches scheduled in November whilst others have played them earlier and three clubs will have a Bury break.

It's like an undertaker's holiday for some

• As good as we seem to be in the League, I'd love to see GA lead the team to some significant cup success. It seems to be the part of his CV that is slightly lacking as we haven't performed too well in this respect in recent seasons.

• edited October 2019

@ValleyWanderer you want the Moon on a Stick don't you? I'm quite enjoying 'as good as we seem to be in the League' at the moment!

• @Wendoverman said:
    @ValleyWanderer you want the Moon on a Stick don't you? I'm quite enjoying 'as good as we seem to be in the League' at the moment!

True...??

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    As good as we seem to be in the League, I'd love to see GA lead the team to some significant cup success. It seems to be the part of his CV that is slightly lacking as we haven't performed too well in this respect in recent seasons.

Except taking Villa to a replay, and losing to Spurs 4-3 at WHL?

• @chairboyscentral said:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy."

It's almost harder NOT to hit the quotas then!

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

It's almost harder NOT to hit the quotas then!

For a club like us without a reserve or youth team, yes!