Skip to content

January signings...

Do we need any?
Will there be any?

Comments

• edited October 2019

Bound to bring in a loanee or two - have four of the allowed five plus Aarons going back. Another senior 'keeper would be nice, although we know we can use the emergency loan rule if Rocky or Yates gets injured. An out-and-out back-up RB at a push?

• As we stand, we don't need anyone.

If Arrons is the only 6month loan rather than year's worth, then it depends whether we can renew him. If Smyth and Fred are on form and fit, maybe we can do without?

We'll see if Gaz has any more loan gems to call on.

• We need to sign Darius to a longer contract.

We need to sign Gape on for another 2.5 years. If he's not looking to sign then I would listen to any offers over 150k.

We have a total of 12 players out of contract in June 2020 and some of these are more of a priority to sign on longer contracts than getting in loans for the end of season.

We have a squad of 25 players which is plenty for the last part of the season. If nobody leaves in January, Darius signs and we don't have an injury crisis at the time then we are good as we are.

• Surely no club would bid for Gape when he's out of contract in the summer.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Surely no club would bid for Gape when he's out of contract in the summer.

If you're a decent Championship club, £150k to skip the free agent dogfight at the end of the season is peanuts.

• I personally can't see a club high-ish up the Championship coming in for him.

• I think Gareth will be taking him to QPR when he takes over...

• Curtis Thompson would be the one I'd worry most about. Hopefully his injury lay-off will have put off would-be suitors...

• I'm not worried about any of them. I think they will all want to stay at a club with a tight, quality squad upward momentum and great morale and unless they get a ridiculous offer from a Championship club for someone I cannot see why anyone would be moved on.

• edited October 2019

We're not teeming with individual quality like other teams at the top end of this division, but we've got all the right pieces. Not only would we be worse off without any one of them, but they probably wouldn't perform as well in a different team - or even get into it, as Jason McCarthy is finding (I do find that one an odd move as Millwall have a more than capable first choice RB).

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm not worried about any of them. I think they will all want to stay at a club with a tight, quality squad upward momentum and great morale and unless they get a ridiculous offer from a Championship club for someone I cannot see why anyone would be moved on.

I think everyone will stay to try and perform the 'miracle'.
    The end of the season on the other hand may be very different in terms of player retention

• I agree with you chaps that there is no single player that would be a disaster to lose now.
    Except perhaps Bayo, as he's the one that is simply impossible to replicate. But then there's surely very little chance someone comes in.

Gape decided to stay for a year last summer, when there was no hint at all we were onto something, so hopefully it's a totally different landscape and he genuinely loves it here, while noone too special or money waving comes in.

• We'll be up against the closest player to Bayo size-wise next week and/or the week after. Manny Monthe (Tranmere) is quite a unit. Slight problem being he's a CB.

• @Malone said:
    I agree with you chaps that there is no single player that would be a disaster to lose now.
    Except perhaps Bayo, as he's the one that is simply impossible to replicate. But then there's surely very little chance someone comes in.

Gape decided to stay for a year last summer, when there was no hint at all we were onto something, so hopefully it's a totally different landscape and he genuinely loves it here, while noone too special or money waving comes in.

I'm assuming he was also hoping to make a bit more money...

• Remember Monthe being thrown on as a 1st half substitute when we played Forest Green a couple of years ago and their starting CB was having an absolute shocker. He actually fared better than most against Bayo that day, so no idea why Cooper didn't start with him!

• I’m assuming @Malone that the “hopefully” in your second paragraph applies only to the change of landscape because, unless he has had a recent change of heart, he has always come across as genuinely loving it here.

• We are sweet as we are, unless we need to re bolster after any loans (Arron's?). As said above, I'd like to think others, barring interest from a big championship club offering big bucks, would want to stay and see where we are next season. There is a touch of magic about this season.... You never know... It might just be the one.