Skip to content

Analysis: Rotherham 0-1 Wycombe

In which I try (and possibly fail) to figure out the inverted trapezium... https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/10/29/analysis-rotherham-0-1-wycombe/

Comments

• I reckon that's a pretty decent piece of analysis, nicely done. Astonishing that Charles has only needed to make one tackle all season. A true Rolls Royce of a defender.

• edited October 2019

I'm going to double check that, but that's what WhoScored - who use Opta data and are very reputable - showed for him. I suppose if you're as on point positioning-wise as he usually is, you don't need to make many.

• Yep, three attempted, one successful.

• And Tools only makes one tackle per game?

• Just over 1 per 90, yep. Ofoborh (3.3), Gape (2.5), and Aarons and Blooms (2.3) are the leaders in that respect. Tbf, I think Virgil van Dijk has only made 7 in 10 games.

• Blimey. If you'd asked me to guess, I'd have had thought our centre backs would be making at least ten each per game. My mind is boggled.

• I'd also have guessed Curtis would be leading the lot of them.

• They're probably slightly skewed by the fact Ofoborh and Aarons haven't played that many minutes yet - neither has Curtis really. But yeah, leding tacklers tend to be midfielders or full-backs.

• Of those CBs who've played a decent amount of minutes in League One, 2.5 a game is about the highest.

• Ofobohr’s stats are a trifle worrying in this context. He has seemed a little reckless at times and, although I’ve seen very little of him, I did spot a totally unnecessary shove on the back of an opposition player on the halfway line in a recent match.

• He's very, um, eager, but he's young and will learn. I'd really like to see a lot more of him, think he looks like an excellent player in the making.

• Also, those are successful tackles. Not sure about his fouls.

• I look forward to making a more evidence based assessment when I’ve watched him half a dozen times.