Skip to content

Looking ahead to January

Still a long way off, but with the takeover vote going through, we now have a bit more of an idea of our financial standing for the January window.

Obviously our first priority is keeping hold of the squad we have- particularly those who don't have a long time on their deals -Charles and Gape stick out.

Going from the trust meetings in the takeover process, my understanding is that we're at (or very close to) the wage limit, so I hope people aren't going to expect too much, I've already seen a few more than optimistic posts on twitter / FB.

Comments

• I'd hate them to sign Asprilla and ruin the team spirit :smile: I'm not a Rocky hater but other than another experienced keeper I cannot really complain about the squad we have. I cannot see anyone leaving with the chance of a historic promotion still ahead of us.

• On the subject of Allsopp, he is having a very good season.

I could yet be in line for another humiliating climbdown, à la Akinfenwa

• @Username said:
    Still a long way off, but with the takeover vote going through, we now have a bit more of an idea of our financial standing for the January window.

Obviously our first priority is keeping hold of the squad we have- particularly those who don't have a long time on their deals -Charles and Gape stick out.

Going from the trust meetings in the takeover process, my understanding is that we're at (or very close to) the wage limit, so I hope people aren't going to expect too much, I've already seen a few more than optimistic posts on twitter / FB.

Didn't Mr Couhig already say he was looking at the Jan window with Gareth?

• Can't see much beyond a couple of loanees coming in. Barring an injury crisis, we don't seem to be lacking in any part of the squad and with so many players performing at their best as part of a united squad, who'd want to upset the balance?

• Allsop is playing well but genuine competition for his place would only be a good thing.

Perhaps someone who's a bit more of a playmaker, but still willing to do the dirty work (incessant pressing and meaty tackling). Plenty of battling midfielders in the squad but not many who can pick out a defence splitting pass with regularity (aside from maybe Freeman).

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

He did, but he also said we were at the limit of the salary cap, so unless we are moving anyone out, then we aren't going to be able to bring anyone in unless I'm missing something?

I echo the thoughts on bringing in a backup for Rocky. He's definitely "on form", but only having one senior keeper is risky.

• It'll be intriguing to see what ideas that may be in mind.

Replacing departing loanee(s) might be the only thing.
    Or someone so superb, we cannot turn down may come up!

In the meantime, let's enjoy the current. Heady days.

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

He did, but he also said we were at the limit of the salary cap, so unless we are moving anyone out, then we aren't going to be able to bring anyone in unless I'm missing something?

I echo the thoughts on bringing in a backup for Rocky. He's definitely "on form", but only having one senior keeper is risky.

For me it depends on the rules for replacing him if injured.

We utilised that magnificently last year, but I know there is a cutoff, date wise.

• Bryn Morris seems to be right out of the frame at Pompey, but we're rather stacked in midfield.

• That turned out to be an odd purchase for Pompey, that one. According to Wikipedia, he hasn't played a game this season. Is that really right?...

• I think the main focus for the Couhigs will be looking at ways of driving revenue between now and January.

New sponsorship deals, half season ticket sales (time to jump on that while we are flying high). I’m assuming an increase in revenue then allows us to increase our wage bill etc in line with financial fair play.

• There has been a lot of talk from Rob Couhig about the importance of getting the club running at a reduced financial loss. That, coupled with the message Mark Palmer was keen to communicate at the introductory Couhig involvement presentation - that he believed promotion when a club is not ready for it was the worst thing that could happen - means I won't be surprised if we sell one or two players in January and don't spend all of the income on getting replacements in, keeping the majority of the money back to reduce losses.

• I’m personally not convinced that we are at our limit SNCP (?) wise in terms of how much we can spend on wages etc. I think that was used to hammer home the fact that more money needs to come into the club and hence the takeover. You at clubs like Fleetwood who’s attendances are much lower than ours and the players that they have on their books, their wage bill must be much higher than ours. Unless they are breaking the rules of course.

• Isn't it the case that at league 1 level the salary cap doesn't really apply since owners can put in additional capital and take spending to whatever level they want, provided they are funding the difference.
    I think, and might be totally wrong, that this exemption doesn't apply at Championship level. Hence we have to reach a sustainable financial position before we are promoted.

• Do loan signings count towards the salary cap and if they do, is it the full salary or just the percentage that we pay (in any case where we are not paying the full wages)?

• Who should we be most worried about losing? Gape, for example, I don't think would go until the summer when he can leave on a free - if indeed he ends up leaving at all. Not realistically better than bottom end Championship imo, so he might as well stay with us...

• I was under the impression that he is the best midfielder in the football league.

• @Gary said:
    Do loan signings count towards the salary cap and if they do, is it the full salary or just the percentage that we pay (in any case where we are not paying the full wages)?

It couldn't possibly be a loanees' full salary as how would we have brought in blackman who was reported to be a 15k a week man, or that keeper whose name i forget who was a 30k a week man.

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

But with more sponsors coming in, that increases the turnover therefore you have more cash available.
    The top prem clubs have been exploiting this with over inflated shirt sponsorship deals for years.

• @Chris said:
    I was under the impression that he is the best midfielder in the football league.

If he was, he would be playing for Sunderland!