Skip to content

Southend

What a difference four years makes. Above only Bolton, 11 losses from 14, 40 conceded - on their way to outdoing Doncaster's 1997/98 season (interesting piece on this in a recent FourFourTwo). I hope Sol Campbell has fully grasped the task ahead of him.

Comments

• Bolton actually have a better record than them if you ignore the points deduction. Wow.

• At least Southend only have Ipswich and Sunderland next.

• On the plus side Lol Campbell did ok from a worse position with Macc with far less time left. On the minus side he does seem to be a bit simple.

• I fear that it may gey worse before it gets better for Southend.

Andrew Cole as an attacking coach is an interesting idea

• Please help this clearly out-of-date and confused coffin dodger. I thought one of the Bergkamp consortium was the new Southend manager.

• @micra said:
    Please help this clearly out-of-date and confused coffin dodger. I thought one of the Bergkamp consortium was the new Southend manager.

Keep up micra...Larson pulled out, Kuyt said he was never involved, Bergkamp just said ' I'm not flying there you know...'

• I can’t keep up with you aficionados.

• @micra I'll try to keep an eye open then, on your behalf, old chap.

• A Saaafend fan at work said the 2 week pick up at the end of last season that kept them up was falsely seen as being the start of great things and they didn't have much cash so not much was changed. Been found out again and the worst he has ever seen them.

• edited November 2019

Think how privileged we are to support club where it's pretty much impossible to imagine this kind of behaviour happening. The culture Gaz has instilled here really is special. Southend are an absolute state.

• edited November 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    Think how privileged we are to support club where it's pretty much impossible to imagine this kind of behaviour happening. The culture Gaz has instilled here really is special. Southend are an absolute state.

Not great at all.

But for some reason I'm now trying to picture the scene when we beat Leicester away in the cup. Guppy had apparently agreed to take the Wycombe lads out after... he's probably lucky no footage of that came out, as unless he did a good sombre face for hours, some of the Leicester fans might not have appreciated that!

• I wouldn't have a problem with that

• Idiotic behaviour. Their fans want him sacked from what I can gather.

• That's probably not enough to get you sacked, but going out on the piss with the team who've just beaten you isn't exactly a good look. Not least in your club tracksuit and when you were at fault for the goal. It's not exactly going to make fans already at the end of their tether with their side go any easier on you.

• "in your club tracksuit"

What difference does that make?

• I mean, if you're going to go out and act like an idiot, at least don't make it so obvious that you're a representative of the club.

• Is he acting like an idiot?

• edited November 2019

It's pretty clear larging it up having a great old laugh, with the team you've just embarrassingly lost to, is pretty idiotic behaviour.

• How long after a defeat should he be able to have fun again?

• You’re getting a little tiresome now @eric_plant .

• Like a Dev tribute act recently...

• There' be no problem if he knew some of the other teams players and was having a quiet drink and chat, but getting caught in the boozer with them celebrating like that is just stupidity, he doesn't even seem to care about the camera.

• I think VAR should examine whether or not he is drinking alcohol, in his club tracksuit or actually even there before we make any judgements.

• @eric_plant said:
    How long after a defeat should he be able to have fun again?

So let me get this straight young eric...if we lost 8-0 to MK Dons and David Wheeler posted a video of himself celebrating with Franchisees in a boozer in his quarters shirt, you would have no problem? :smiley:

• That example is too specific as well you know

If it were a club that a) had the right to exist and b) with whom there was not a long standing rivalry (eg Col U) then no, I wouldn't have an issue with it

• And probably no issue with that left winger we had, (whose contribution was so little to the cause, that I've forgotten his name), who apparently came into the dressing room after we'd been battered whistling "I'm loving it"

• edited November 2019

@eric_plant said:
    That example is too specific as well you know

If it were a club that a) had the right to exist and b) with whom there was not a long standing rivalry (eg Col U) then no, I wouldn't have an issue with it

The year we nearly went out of the league, if we'd lost to a non league team in the cup as well, would you have been fine with any of our players being caught out seemingly celebrating with the non league side?