Skip to content

Parkinson set to be named Sunderland manager

2»

Comments

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    That said, and has already been mentioned here, who'd have foreseen Nathan Jones doing so badly at Stoke?

Whilst Luton were doing well at the time of his departure, I think (although I haven't checked) their results actually improved when he left.

• It will be interesting to see how the Cowleys get on. I think if Pep Guardiola went to Stoke he'd have had enough of that bunch of underachievers before long.

• @Wendoverman said:
    It will be interesting to see how the Cowleys get on. I think if Pep Guardiola went to Stoke he'd have had enough of that bunch of underachievers before long.

True @Wendoverman and those two examples also highlight the fact that for success, one generally needs time to mold a team into one's style.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    That said, and has already been mentioned here, who'd have foreseen Nathan Jones doing so badly at Stoke?

Me. His antics as Luton manager showed him to be erratic at best. Psychologically lacking what it takes if things go against him.

• @eric_plant said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

Me. His antics as Luton manager showed him to be erratic at best. Psychologically lacking what it takes if things go against him.

I found him irritating and his interviews highly entertaining, but Luton were a good team under him. He will rue leaving before promotion. Being at the bottom of the league fighting with a team you've put together must be better than being at the bottom of the league with a team of highly paid 'internationals' laughing at you.

• Stay the season, and see how far we can push this.

Worst case is he records his by far highest finishing position here, best case....the unthinkable and playoffs!

A win Saturday would be huge, dent a rival, but more importantly show we can beat ateam who will be at the top.

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Because football managers jobs don't come up on a fairly regular basis do they? Sunderland not in top four at end of season? Vacant seat. Again. QPR struggling? Vacant seat. Again. I think he'll see out this season myself

Reading have had TEN in the last 7 years!

And even Jaap Stam who was penalties away from taking them up in the play off final was quickly gone not long after.

• edited October 2019

This time last year Wasall were 5th after 12 games on 22 points, just 1 point below our current 12 game tally.

They ended up getting relegated, so no way is the worst case scenario a potential highest ever Ainsworth-era finish.

• edited October 2019

They weren't performing to the same levels we are now, though. Relegation represented a dramatic decline, but there were more noticeable signs of weakness, such as their reliance on counter-attacking and one main goal scorer. We're mixing it up more. We're also attacking like a top six side and defending like a mid-table one, so I think we've got a very good chance - top ten at least imo. I am starting to believe!

• @chairboyscentral I know you like to analyse the statistics: do you know whether the real figures prove or disprove the general belief that teams experience a "new manager bounce" and are more likely than not to win their first match under a new permanent manager?

• @Uncle_T Good question, but I have to admit I don't know. I'm sure someone's done some research it on it, will have to have a dig.

• LX1LX1
    edited October 2019

@Uncle_T Kevin Pullein once did this in the Racing Post a while ago. He concluded that the stats disproved the belief as one of those things that people talk about when it happens but not when it doesn't. It may be out there somewhere but difficult to find.

• https://www.sbo.net/sbo-weekly/new-manager-syndrome-is-a-fallacy/

Here's one article that refers to that and other studies

• @DevC said:
    While obviously in WWFC interests, have to feel immense sympathy for GA at getting so close but it appears just missing out on a big opportunity. Cant imagine it will be much fun for him being abused about it by 2000+ sunderland supporters in 48 hours time.

Just felt awful for Gaz on Saturday. He looked devastated throughout poor bloke

• Peak DevC

• @eric_plant said:

@DevC said:
    While obviously in WWFC interests, have to feel immense sympathy for GA at getting so close but it appears just missing out on a big opportunity. Cant imagine it will be much fun for him being abused about it by 2000+ sunderland supporters in 48 hours time.

Just felt awful for Gaz on Saturday. He looked devastated throughout poor bloke

Must have been like a funeral in the dressing room I'm guessing. Oh what could have been...