Skip to content

Ainsworth off to Sunderland

Comments

• @Malone - 3 year contract at £10k per week = £1.5m. If he gets the sack after 6 months (excluding as a result of gross misconduct) he will likely get full comprnsation.

• GA is a man who knows his own mind. His vision of the right job at the ideal club, and the right time to move may be very different from that of fans.

Is Sunderland such a great opportunity? At this time, I don't think so.

Ross has been sacked a quarter of the way into the season with Sunderland in 6th position and only 4 points off of the automatic promotion places, because the Chairman thinks that this is the best way to achieve promotion. Whoever takes the job will get no settling in period, no chance to get to know his squad, no chance to build the squad of his choice, no nothing but the expectation to improve results now. That is (if not an impossible ask) certainly a very improbable one. The price of failure, you're sacked.

Will GA see that as the ideal job for which to uproot his family? I'm far from convinced that it is.

• @mooneyman said:
    @Malone - 3 year contract at £10k per week = £1.5m. If he gets the sack after 6 months (excluding as a result of gross misconduct) he will likely get full comprnsation.

Managers have to fight for full compensation. Often it's limited to until they get another job too.but depends on the actual contract.

Not sure why the guy thought itd be tax free either . redundancy is tax free but only to 40k.

• edited October 2019

Mark Robins has signed a new contract at Coventry. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the supposed Sunderland five.

• @Malone said:

Not sure why the guy thought itd be tax free either . redundancy is tax free but only to 40k.

I can't comment on the validity of the calculations and predictions but, to be fair, they didn't write "tax free", they wrote "before tax."

• I have seen a report this morning from the Telegraph stating the compensation is minimal should Gareth leave us. Given he is contracted until I believe 2023, surely the compensation will not be minimal. Sunderland have money, if they want Gareth then they need to pay

• edited October 2019

@Uncle_T said:

@Malone said:

I can't comment on the validity of the calculations and predictions but, to be fair, they didn't write "tax free", they wrote "before tax."

That's true - I've misread that
    @Bacon_Sandwich - apologies on that score.

• @HG1 said:
    I have seen a report this morning from the Telegraph stating the compensation is minimal should Gareth leave us. Given he is contracted until I believe 2023, surely the compensation will not be minimal. Sunderland have money, if they want Gareth then they need to pay

Have always wondered how this works.
    Do you get to decide by putting a whopping amount in their contract?

Or is it worked out on their wage versus time left?

There was talk Huddersfield paid 1m for the Cowleys!

For the press and a team like Sunderland maybe a few 100k is classed as "Minimal"

• The "buying" club buys off the rest of the contract don't they?

With Gaz not being on massive wages at Wycombe it stands to reason that the compensation they would have to pay would not be massive

• I would have thought you would have to pay a premium to get your man if they are on a longer contact.

• Manager contracts can have clauses waiving any compensation. Wouldn't be surprised if Ainsworth has that.

• It's no secret that Gareth's builds his teams around the ethos of work rate,desire and discipline. Whilst the opportunity of managing a huge club like Sunderland will be incredibly appealing, im sure Gareth will have assessed their squad. He will be wise enough to realise time wont be something he will be given to get out of Div 1.
    Do the Black Cats have too many 'fancy Dan's' that wont suit Ainsworth's philosphy ? Would he get enough time to ship them out and bring his own players ? Nearly 3 months before the transfer window,they could find themselves well adrift of the automatic spots by then ?

• edited October 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is the nightmare scenario for the Couhigs (and therefore potentially WWFC).

I wonder if they're working in the background to offer Gaz a payrise on a new contract?

• edited October 2019

@eric_plant said:
    This is the nightmare scenario for the Couhigs (and therefore potentially WWFC).

I wonder if they're working in the background to offer Gaz a payrise on a new contract?

That should be their first job on the to do list playing wise if they do get the 75%, with a decent compensation fee written in for if he is poached.

• edited October 2019

? This is the guy who's currently writing a book on Wycombe.

• Are the bistros of Wokingham as volatile as those just across the border in Marlow?

• The original Tweet and responses appear to have been deleted, but Tweet reposted:

• @eric_plant said:
    This is the nightmare scenario for the Couhigs (and therefore potentially WWFC).

If able to do so then we really should. Coventry have and in doing so closed down the same situation in the space of 24 hours.

• edited October 2019

Should we not have just told Sunderland to get stuffed? Would Gaz have kicked up a fuss had we done so? Let him leave but only for a Championship job?

• I think letting him talk to potential suitors shows a confidence and class exhibited by few other football clubs.

Ainsworth remembers the faith shown in him by the Trust around the Torquay game. I can't see how any of the potential jobs now are with clubs who will show any of the trust, faith and respect so if these are values he holds dear maybe the choice isn't that tough?

• no we shouldn't. The relationship the club has with Gaz is, and should be, based on mutual respect. I'd be certain that when contract discussions have taken place in the past it's been agreed that if an opportunity came up in the future that Gaz wanted to talk to someone about then the club agreed they would not stand in his way.

There is absolutely no point attempting to force a manager who wants to leave to stay. It never works anyway, they always end up going

• He would have asked for certain assurances when he signed his last contact, forcing him to stay against his will won't help anyone

• @Uncle_T said:
    The original Tweet and responses appear to have been deleted, but Tweet reposted:

The original Tweet was the same but with "My lips are sealed".

• Hard to believe Ainsworth wouldn't bite their hands off if offered the role. It offers him an opportunity to go all the way.

However we miles away from that being the case. GA has spoken to them it seems but we know that at least four other managers in work have been approached (likely to be Clough, Cook, Robins (now declined) and Nathan Jones) plus several out of work are rumoured to have expressed an interest (of which Stendel, Phillips and Hasslebaink will surely at least get spoken to too).

• edited October 2019

Stendel has been spoken to by Donald.

• Sunderland are subject to a potential takeover as well, so Donald might not be in charge much longer.

• I can't help but think that Sunderland will want someone with an experience of spending bigger money, handling "bigger names" and someone who knows how to get out of league one (which they HAVE to do this season).

Ainsworth has never experienced any of the above.

Here's hoping anyway.