Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage (EFL trophy)

2»

Comments

• We were awful, not one player comes out of that with any credit ...... JGS is neat and tidy but along way off League 2 let alone League 1 .... why oh why does the tactical genuis keep playing these daft formations just set up 4-3-3 and go at teams

• Have to say I agree about the formations. Just stick to 433 or 442, play to our strengths, we've got so many attacking options. Personally I really dont like 3 at the back. But I'm not a manager, just personal opinions folks

• At least noone got injured, but ending up still having to being Gape and Bayon wasn't in the plan.

Never mind. Proper stuff next and what a game!

• Out of interest, what kind of reception did El Abd get when he came on??

• Sounded like a smattering of applause.

He headed a goalbound header away from about 1 metre off the line, past 90mins..but in fairness it wasn't that strong an effort.

• El Abd got a smattering of applause because there was a smattering of spectators. It was a dismal night not made any better for me by a small bunch of yoofs who after half a pint of shandy thought it was hilarious when one of them kept shouting c**t at apparently random intervals. I know I'm very old but sometimes I do despair......

• PBoPBo
    edited October 2019

I was there (lucky me) and I would say pretty much everyone clapped him as he came on.

Certainly a disappointing showing, you'd hope that the players who haven't been getting a game would be chomping at the bit to show what they can do to force themselves into consideration - but I don't think many did themselves any favours.

That said, until Akinfenwa came on, that was the most "ball-to-feet" football I've seen us play for quite a while. There were flashes of quality, but no real consistency and no end product.

• You’re in your prime @Slaphead ! Didn’t realise you were actually going to the match last night. It was a sorry spectacle.
    Couldn’t get iFollow going until midway through the first half. Wished I hadn’t bothered. Slap in the face at a time when we’re all on tenterhooks anyway. Chins up though. Clouds with silver linings perhaps.

• @micra said:
    You’re in your prime @Slaphead ! Didn’t realise you were actually going to the match last night. It was a sorry spectacle.
    Couldn’t get iFollow going until midway through the first half. Wished I hadn’t bothered. Slap in the face at a time when we’re all on tenterhooks anyway. Chins up though. Clouds with silver linings perhaps.

Was that actually getting it going at all?
    Or like I had, interference totally ruining the picture for most of the first 6-7mins.

Any longer I'd be emailing to complain and get a refund, but I realise that £8 is going to Wycombe, so for that reason I'll allow it.

• ps chaps, "smattering" wasn't meant to try and underplay his reception. Just felt an apt description of the noise levels, but I accept it'd have been ask in last night's context!

• edited October 2019

I noticed Gareth applauded El Abd onto the pitch too.

• hell of a drop for him to league 2 no hopers from club captain of a team 2nd In league 1

• I got into a terrible muddle @Malone. I have the App on my phone but have to go via Google to get to iFollow on the PC. It takes me to a page which invites me to subscribe. I’ve reached this point before. It shows all my details but no link to the match and how to pay for it. I turned to my iPhone and after sorting out a problem re password inherited from last time I found “watch now”. It told me I couldn’t for, I think, geographical reasons.

Hellish long story ever so slightly shorter, I got the video on the tiny screen, had another fiddle with the computer and, joy of joys, got it on there as well. But........within a minute, the PC screen went black with a message in white telling me that I couldn’t have it on two devices.
    Swiping reception from the iPhone wasn’t enough. I had to actually turn it off. Watched second half on PC. Uninterrupted but nothing like the HD picture quality I usually get and I could barely distinguish between Parker and Kashket. Slight exaggeration but it really was difficult to identify players.

Never mind, chins up and perhaps those clouds really do have a silver lining.