Skip to content

Player of the season so far

2»

Comments

• @fame_46 out of curiosity are you against player or manager of the month type ‘awards’?

If not if you frame it as a ‘player of August/September’ does that work better for you?

But, regardless, it’s a really good question.

From last years regulars, Allsop, JJ, Stewart, Bloomfield, Freeman, Bayo and Samuel are (or were in all looking better than they were at the tail end of last season. Gape (and so far Thompson) is continuing his high standard from previous seasons. Scotty looks almost back to his best.

Of the newbies, Grimmer is looking great as an attacking right back (less impressive as a defender) and Fred is a wonderful player (most of the time). The others haven’t really yet had long enough spells in the team to shine but mostly ive liked what I’ve seen.

But for me and what I’ve seen so far I’d go for Darius Charles. Truly inspiring story but more importantly knows how to defend.

• I would add that if Curtis Thompson carries yesterday's performance (apart from the obvious) across the rest of the season then the player of the year award in May will be something of a foregone conclusion. He was absolutely brilliant I thought.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 i thought that’s what I’d just done!

It’s not a serious debate but I thought a good entry suggestion to a discussion on the merits of how our players have performed in the first quarter of the season.

I tend to agree (and I hope argued accordingly) that it is difficult to pick a stand out player as generally they are all playing really well. Don’t you find it exciting that you can ask the OP question and that there are then at least 6 or 7 names that could legitimately be argued as the answer?

• Don't think there has been one standout this season. A lot of players have had a very good game here and there, which has added up to a terrific overall team situation.

Looking at the programme yesterday, it's remarkable that Charles has already played the same amount of games this season as in total last year!

Also, didn't realise Josh Parker was a Wycombe schoolboy, and had 1 appearance for us before this year.

• @Shev said:
    He would not be top, but Ryan Allsop deserves a mention.

I’m going with you. Allsop got a lot of stick last season especially from the boys on the Facebook page (naturally) and that ability to anticipate threats is still a bit rough in places but he’s been pretty good so far this

• Freeman for me

• Talking of Freeman (who you will gather I think is the bee’s knees), in addition to all the qualities I listed earlier he packs a ferocious shot. We saw that on Saturday when, in the dying minutes, he blasted inches over the bar. He has had several very near misses this season and I expect him to score half a dozen goals this season.

• Too many “this season”s! I do know how to edit drafts (thanks to @Jonny_King’s advice) but not the posted comments.

• Freeman and JJ certainly up there, but surprised not to see more mentions of Grimner. I think he's been outstanding all season. Probably played every minute (?), bombs on as a decent attacking outlet and a big compliment you can pay him is that you'd barely remember McCarthy as a miss, who was an absolute standout last season for us.

• Darius Charles for me - a remarkable transformation.

• Stewart for me, also agree with the Grimmer comments... McCarthy who ?

• Darius Charles for me, The three full backs in Grimmer,JJ and Mascoll have all impressed.

• Freeman for me, by the end of the season I suspect it will be between him, Fred, Wheeler and Samuel. With the set up we have we're always going to ship goals - the key is scoring one more each match and with those four on the pitch anything is possible.

• I'd have a fiver on Curtis to end up player of the season if there was a market available. It's quite extraordinary that Notts County didn't want him

• Hopefully it's an attacking player who emerges as the standout, meaning we've had a bumper season of goalscoring.

• Agree about Grimmer...Macca who ? and I feel more confident that we could survive if we had to sell Dom Gape. (Fingers crossed that we don;t!)