Skip to content

Nathan Jones

Looks like he will be in charge for the bottom of the table clash with the Cowleys. Must admit I think the PE teachers are on the way up so might be a tough night for The Rev and even if he wins Stoke look abysmal so only a matter of time.
Which League/Club do you think he'll end up at?

Comments

• I hear he is calling on a few favours from Man City and trying to bring Jesus in on loan.

If we fails to Christian Doidge the sack, cant see him getting a league club to be honest.

my money would be on Gainsborough Trinity or Godalming.

• Reckon he'll prob be hot favourite for next league one job to come up if hes sacked

• Richie will want him replacing our tactically inept manager!

• Leaving Luton turned out a bad move. Hindsight is 20-20, but they were clearly going up anyway, so he would have been in charge of a Championship club that already had his personnel and style.

Something for Gareth to mull, when Reading come in for him as we are 12 points clear...

• Not often you see a manager admit that while he's still in the job!

• Blimey. Sounds like he's on his way out.

• Certainly one last attempt to buy some more time.

• @AlanCecil Interesting that he's already declaring it to have 'not worked out', considering he's still (for now) managing them and trying to inspire his players in a relegation scrap.

Can you imagine Gareth using such defeatest language? Even at our lowest ebb after the Rovers game in 2014 he kept fighting and seemed to be the only person who went into the Torquay game thinking we could still stay up.

Whilst it's a nice surprise to see Jones display a shred of humility for once, for me this shows a marked difference between the character of these two men.

• Every time I see new posts in this thread I get excited thinking he’s been sacked.

• @Jonny_King said:
    @AlanCecil Interesting that he's already declaring it to have 'not worked out', considering he's still (for now) managing them and trying to inspire his players in a relegation scrap.

There have been many cases over the years of managers doing well in the lower leagues and being enticed away to a bigger club, probably and justifiably, by the lure of more money and the chance to test themselves at the higher level. But so many times they find themselves out of their depth and quickly dismissed for failure.

I believe we have a manager who is so level headed that he will know when the time is right and we will all then wish him the best of luck.

• Think you're spot on there @AlanCecil Gareth's interview in the Guardian today suggests he knows he's still improving and learning. He's a smart guy and will surely know he might not be ready just yet for bigger things, as well as believing he's on a bit of a mission/journey with Wycombe. He'll get there at some point and in his own good time. And the hole he'll leave behind at Wycombe will take some serious filling.

• Nice that Gareth sees the value in Longevity with one club...a bit upsetting for Richie, Trevor and some of the FB massive though.

• Not sure I would agree @AlanCecil that many managers moving up have quickly proved to be out of their depth. I think it is more the case that a) by definition they tend to be moving to clubs where things have gone wrong and the previous manager been sacked. Not all those clubs are in a condition that any manager (whether sourced from lower leagues or not) would be capable of effecting a quick turnaround b) I think it can be the case that often managers moving up are relatively new into their managerial careers and have ridden a wave at the club they have managed. Turning around a failing club is a very different skill from riding a wave they have created. it will be interesting to see how the Cowleys fare at Huddersfield and how Lowe fares at Plymouth.

Message seems to be not to necessarily jump at the first opportunity that comes along - it may be a poisoned chalice. Quite encouraging then for GA long term career if it is indeed true that he turned down Barnsley.

• In our lord jesus jones we trust..... wait a minute

• @DevC said:
    Not sure I would agree @AlanCecil that many managers moving up have quickly proved to be out of their depth. I think it is more the case that a) by definition they tend to be moving to clubs where things have gone wrong and the previous manager been sacked. Not all those clubs are in a condition that any manager (whether sourced from lower leagues or not) would be capable of effecting a quick turnaround b) I think it can be the case that often managers moving up are relatively new into their managerial careers and have ridden a wave at the club they have managed. Turning around a failing club is a very different skill from riding a wave they have created. it will be interesting to see how the Cowleys fare at Huddersfield and how Lowe fares at Plymouth.

Message seems to be not to necessarily jump at the first opportunity that comes along - it may be a poisoned chalice. Quite encouraging then for GA long term career if it is indeed true that he turned down Barnsley.

Lowe at Plymouth? A smaller club in a lower division?

• Having seen Jones' recent interview on the Stoke twitter page I almost felt sorry for him...almost

• Being entirely selfish, Jones ' failure might help us keep GA.

• "Replying to @BBCSport

How long before Gareth Ainsworth is linked with the job..."

• @NorsQuarters said:
    "Replying to @BBCSport

How long before Gareth Ainsworth is linked with the job..."

Can't see them going for Gaz, to their fans it would look like Jones part 2

• Awful club.

• Ex premier league club now looking like championship relegation favourites. Good opportunity for someone to move them forward and enhance his status. Likely surely they will go for one of the usual bigname retreads though.

• José Gomes has been rumoured

• They are just two spots above us currently.

• @DevC said:
    Ex premier league club now looking like championship relegation favourites. Good opportunity for someone to move them forward and enhance his status. Likely surely they will go for one of the usual bigname retreads though.

Chris Coleman did wonders for Sunderland :smiley:

• Make that three. I forgot they moved off the bottom. Now it IS a huge step up!

• I thought he'd started to turn it round but I see not...

• Will be interesting to see how long before he gets back in somewhere. I thought he was angling for a sacking at the start of October so he could get involved in the Sunderland/Millwall/Reading vacancies.