Skip to content

Reading U23s play at Adams Park

2»

Comments

• I just couldn't get interested in the Womens World Cup. No idea why

• I think a lot of men fall into the trap of comparing men to women in sport. Of course men are stronger and faster, but not necessarily more skilful, but that's not the point. You watch women's sport on their own terms, not on men's. Take tennis, I would rather watch Johanna Konta than any other male player, I love her gutsy performances, rescuing the inevitable wobble. That is pure enjoyment to me. Are female athletics any less enjoyable than men's?

Men who look down on women's sport, because it's not as 'good' as men's, are probably the same men who have fixed ideas on where their place is.

• Think your last comment is a bit over the top @Steve_Peart but I agree on your other comments.
    I would argue an Andy Murray struggle is just as enjoyable than a Jo Konta one though

• Probably a generalisation too far @Right_in_the_Middle, and not aimed at anyone on here.

I just think it's a mindset thing, sometimes you need to look at things from another angle, from the other side.

• edited October 2019

@Steve_Peart said:
    I think a lot of men fall into the trap of comparing men to women in sport. Of course men are stronger and faster, but not necessarily more skilful, but that's not the point. You watch women's sport on their own terms, not on men's. Take tennis, I would rather watch Johanna Konta than any other male player, I love her gutsy performances, rescuing the inevitable wobble. That is pure enjoyment to me. Are female athletics any less enjoyable than men's?

Men who look down on women's sport, because it's not as 'good' as men's, are probably the same men who have fixed ideas on where their place is.

In sporting terms you're exactly right, the problem comes when wages are allowed to be compared but the "product" isn't.

Some sports are much more affected by the inescapable difference in athleticism, unfortunately I think football is one sport that is more affected than others (eg Tennis and athletics).

• I'm a football nut and would watch it at any level regardless of gender. One thing that strikes me watching the WSL is that there is a disproportionate amount of goals scored in the "top corner" to the mens game. In that regard the difference in physicality, for me, stands out a mile. The ladies goalies are naturally shorter & it makes the top corners a much easier target, looks good on the telly though!

• Ladies goals should definitely be reduced in size in my opinion. Other sports have made similar adjustments, such as fewer sets and a slightly smaller ball in female tennis.

• @EwanHoosaami, tall keepers are scarce at Wycombe's level. I think the tall ones get snapped up by teams higher up the pyramid. A shot anywhere just under the crossbar usually goes in, so a free kick conceded in shooting distance draws a sharp intake of breath.

What the Wycombe keepers, Amy Batkin and deputy Abbie Whitmee, lack in height they more than make up for it with their athleticism and bravery. I would say Amy is one of the team's strengths

• @OxfordBlue They use a smaller ball in female tennis? Well stone me I genuinely didn't know that! Is that common knowledge that has just bypassed me down the years?

• I think the size is the same but the women have slightly lighter balls as the men have a stronger/thicker outer covering due to power of shots.

• So it is the more powerful shot that results in the heavier balls, rather than vice versa? The plot literally thickens

• It seems @ValleyWanderer is correct.

@LX1, I only knew they were different because Andy Murray kicked off once after being handed the wrong type of ball by a ballboy at the Miami Open.

• I've checked with the wife, men definitely have bigger balls.

Sorry, that's terribly inappropriate I know.