Skip to content

Could anyOne from the club enlighten me on play-off finances?

I'd be very interested if somebody from the club or Trust could throw some light on the following please?

1) What does WWFC receive from Sky for televising the Semi-Final Play-offs?

2) What is the split on gate receipts for the (a) Semi-Finals & (b) the Final?

Concrete information rather than speculation would be appreciated! I just wonder if the chance of winning the Play-offs would give us enough of an extra cash boost to give Gareth a workable budget to survive in League One?

Comments

• Think this http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/playoffrules.aspx confirms no payment is made for tv appearances.

All gate receipts for four semis is out into a pot. 50% to league, other 50% divided between clubs. Final split 50% to league, 25% to club a, 25% to club b.

I'm making a complete guess here but in gate receipts alone that should earn at least £50,000 for a semi-final appearance and £150,000 for a final spot.

• Thanks for the info. So we're stuck with a 7.45 kick-off in Plymouth with no financial reward from Sky? Outrageous!

• I believe that what it means is that the TV rights are not part of profits or costs to the clubs. I find it hard to believe that the clubs get no money from SKY.

• If I was wycombe id look at chartering a flight down. Appears they can get expenses for that.

• @Chickenhead - I don't think they do; it's all a bit opaque but I think that SKY get rights to the playoff games as part of their overall TV rights package and the "facility fees" which are paid to clubs for normal league games don't arise in the playoffs; presumably the argument is that there is no impact on attendances for playoff games and the paricipating clubs are getting extra revenue anyway. I'd love for someone who knows more than I've managed to work out to confirm this though, or to put me right.

• @Midlander We should play the game not the occasion. With such a good away record I'd hope we change nothing about how we prepare for away matches.

• in goes into fa officials pockets too go to champions league final

• edited May 2015

Sky tv money goes to the FL pool as does 50% after expenses. Where you are wrong Midlander is the other 50% is shared four ways for the semi's so it's only12% of the gate.What makes me smile is the FL only allow £100 return rail ticket price per person as far as expenses go the greedy tw@ts. Clearly out of touch with rail prices.

• Pretty shit tbh

• Pilgrim. We were okay. We could book early savers as we were in the play offs weeks ago

• @pilgrim, My interpretation is that each club in the play offs benefits from an equal percentage of the net gate receipts from all the semi final games. So we actually benefit from the Stevenage v Southend matches too. Or maybe I'm misreading it?
    Agree it sucks that no TV monies are received.

• Thats how I read it.

• Might be enough money to replace some of the floodlight bulbs we need but not much more.

• at least the fa will have a great time at champion league final and piss up after

• @Twizz said:
    pilgrim, My interpretation is that each club in the play offs benefits from an equal percentage of the net gate receipts from all the semi final games. So we actually benefit from the Stevenage v Southend matches too. Or maybe I'm misreading it?
    Agree it sucks that no TV monies are received.

Yep