Skip to content

Dubious article with supposed interview with GA

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    there is a distinct possibility of more players going out than in during the January transfer window and us being left with a diminished squad for the second half of the season;

Why is that? Which ones are going back in January? I thought they were mostly on season long loans?

This comment wasn't referencing only those players who are currently at Wycombe on loan from other clubs; others could be sold or loaned out.

• edited September 2019

Probably just the "Open to everything" part that is the headline that stands out - the rest is pretty fair comment.

He's obviously not open to "everything" - it's got to be a proper step up, and Lincoln certainly isn't that in any shape or form.

However, he's a smart guy, and realises nothing in football is certain, and while still very young a manager he's being clever getting these sort of interviews out there, just in case any bigger clubs think he's a Dario Gradi/Jim Bentley type who will forever stay at one club.

He's also just seen a manager whose team he outclassed go to Huddersfield just a week gone.

However, it's great to hear him talk that we "could" finish "very high" up this league, and there's no chance he's leaving for anything but an incredible offer after piecing such a sensational squad together.

He still mentions a "small squad", but I'm not sure we can pretend it is really now.

I thought we had 24 players, but he quotes 22, and Frempah...maybe @micra can do a player count?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @eric_plant said:
    Dev still saying "the Harman fiasco" as though his entirely dreamed up scenario is fact

Let's not forget though there was a Harman fiasco, even if it wasn't anything like @DevC paints it to be. The Couhig's wouldn't be at Wycombe without it.

Ainsworth's stock is as high as it's been at the moment and he must be looking at Cowley's move and thought he was better prepared than him for that job.

It's good he's ambitious and his words can't be a reason for voting the Couhig's in. That vote is much more long lasting.

• @fame_46 said:
    Or he goes to Lincoln. They pay 600k of the 1million they received for Cowley. We then pay the Couhigs back their loan and we all go back to league 2 for a relegation dog fight next season.

Think I’d prefer a yes vote. ?

Huddersfield paid £1m for a league 1 manager?!? Is that factual? Or Richie?

• Ainsworth is not going to Lincoln

• Correct - he has heard about the plan to be non-triers in the New Year and is off to Stevenage to be with his mates.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GA has said almost all of these things before. I appreciate his honesty as far as his personal ambitions, and I think he will go to the second tier if he gets the opportunity. He will have my thanks no matter what.

• He's 8/1 for the Southend job, must be going there.

• If Nathan Jones gets the push all bets are off. The Rev will hoover up whatever opportunities there are.

• I do not for one minute think Gaz is off to Lincoln, but the fact that we have no structure of a youth or under 21's team to feed into the first team must be frustrating. Having to unearth unknown non league gems or cast offs from lge clubs and knowing he has to integrate them with the first team and not let them develop through youth and reserve football must be extremely difficult task.
    I see Oxdord United fielded 16 year old Tyler Goodhran on their 1st team bench recently, you may ask the relevance ?
    Well Tyler is from Baring Rd, Micklefield !!
    It's particularly galling to see young Wycombites sign for other clubs, but when it's the odious PNL toads from over the border signing players that should be pulling on our colours then its deeply upsetting.

• just pushing the takeover like everybody else, I would think if the vote is no then he would go at the first opportunity

• Ainsworth has been better than evens for the QPR job more than once. Let’s try and keep calm gents.

• And he’s only into evens as people have been piling in off the back of the interview today where he clearly stated there has been no contact with Lincoln. And the Lincoln board stated recently that plans are quite far along with the the process of finding a new manager (or words to that effect)

• Let's just hope a vacancy doesn't arise near the bottom of the championship any time soon as that might give a real decision to make. Lincoln is a total non starter. Southend too!

• All sounds like the usual combo of ambition and clickbait. The only thing that would worry me was if Ainsworth, due to perceived playing style perhaps kept getting passed over for suitable or desirable jobs and eventually thought his only way up was take a job at our level with a bit more cash or potential.
    As much as this sort of thing will influence the vote a Yes doesn't automatically mean he'll stay for ever.

• edited September 2019

FWIW, I reckon Michael Flynn or Michael Appleton will get the Lincoln job.

• Bit harsh

• No matter what job you do , most people have ambition to progress to the highest levels to firstly test their skills and ultimately be better rewarded. It is naive to thing that Ainsworth is any different to their rest of us. Let’s be honest if a bigger club than us came knocking( not sure Lincoln is that club) he would be on his way. Clearly the timing would not be good at the moment but he would go with my best wishes for what he has done for this club.

• People are running into each other in panic over on the Facebook page.
    Take out the rubbish written around Gaza’s words and its all pretty much what we thought he’s finally got a playing budget and if he loses again it he’s off
    The thing is all of the legacy members I know myself included are either for the change or waiting to hear more before they commit

• Here we go again with the next manager odds! As I have stated on this subject many times, the money taken on these markets is minimal when compared to any horse race, greyhound or even virtual racing taking place.

As such the odds fluctuate wildly when a ‘relatively’ small bet is put on, for example a bet of £1000 on a horse race would make no change in the odds whatsoever, but a bet of a similar amount on a next manager market would change the odds significantly.

Already with the Lincoln market only being open a couple of days there have been 2 odds on favourites, Flynn from Newport and now Gareth. The QPR job had 4 different odds on favourites. Danny Cowley himself was 1-9 to take the Sheffield Wednesday job.

Gareth Ainsworth may well go today, tomorrow or in 6 months or 2 years time but looking at next manager odds for some sort of sign is not the way to keep informed.

• I see Ian Culverhouse is 4/1 for the job now??

• @eric_plant said:
    This interview, by the way, reads to me as far less to do with the Lincoln job (no way he's going there, I'll have a £50 charity bet with anyone who thinks otherwise) but more about him sending a message to:

a) the founder members ahead of the vote
    b) the football community in general, letting clubs further up the pyramid know that he's someone who'd be interested if they came knocking

It's nothing any of us didn't already know, and we should all remain calm. He loves Wycombe, and if he chooses to go it will not be after a lot of consideration.

I reckon Eric has got it spot on with this post and I’m disappointed that people are criticising GA for giving honest answers. Why shouldn’t he say he’s ambitious to manage higher?

• permission to speak to Ian has been granted by KL now.

• Taking time to listen to the interview rather than just reading the report, the tone of GAs voice leaves me reassured by his answers.

No way does he say "Yeah, I'm touting myself for the vacant job at Lincoln".

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    This interview, by the way, reads to me as far less to do with the Lincoln job (no way he's going there, I'll have a £50 charity bet with anyone who thinks otherwise) but more about him sending a message to:

a) the founder members ahead of the vote
    b) the football community in general, letting clubs further up the pyramid know that he's someone who'd be interested if they came knocking

It's nothing any of us didn't already know, and we should all remain calm. He loves Wycombe, and if he chooses to go it will not be after a lot of consideration.

I reckon Eric has got it spot on with this post and I’m disappointed that people are criticising GA for giving honest answers. Why shouldn’t he say he’s ambitious to manage higher?

Cheers no.1 fan

• Getting Fred/ Wheeler et al. over the summer and criticising the financial ceiling is a bit churlish though.

I think he probably mentions Lincoln once - again, probably, to answer the question 'what do you think of the job the Cowley's have done?'

This belief of the Imps fans that GA is 'going home' by potentially returning is odd - he was there 2 seasons! He was even here for longer before he took the boss job.

• The reality is if the Legacy members don’t agree the deal, Ainsworth will be out of here. So you have a choice!!