Skip to content

Michael Davis

It’s been announced MD is leaving. I think the writing has been on the wall ever Rob C came along. He did some good stuff but also some lowsy decision last made but with huge financial constraints we can only say thanx for your efforts

Comments

• I'm guessing the Couhigs didn't appreciate his idea of how things should be run...

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/august/michael-davies-leaves-the-club/

• "Michael Davies said: “It has been a special time to have played a part in the club achieving one of the most successful periods in its history. I wish all associated with the club every continued success for the future.”

Wish the guy well but a little generous perhaps as we were told the playing side is on a shoestring, the club was losing money hand over fist, the model can no longer function and desperately needs outside investment. Fair to say lack of cash would have limited his options at times.

I wonder if Mr Palmer will become more than "a member of the new structure" as they oddly describe him at times.

• Strikes me that whilst the playing side (and media team) demonstrates Championship aspirations, the commercial arm is playing catch up and has some way to go. Massive opportunity there to help fund sustainability.

• @perfidious_albion , do you remember when Hayes as part of his "don't worry about the money" era, staffed us up to championship levels!
    That was fun to sort out!

• It’s a slight concern that many positions have become vacant in the last year. Directors. Finance director now GM. Hopefully these positions can be filled ASAP

• As @Fit2drop alluded in another thread, Michael attended nearly all of the Fans' Council meetings, in his own time, and was very open, surprisingly open sometimes, not ducking any questions and following up any points raised. It will be interesting to see if his replacement, if there is one, or Mark Palmer or Pete Couhig, if there isn't one, put in the same commitment.

Michael told me that his main job at the club was to keep costs under control, which is admirable, even if I felt the cost cutting went too far sometimes. Clearly he was under great pressure with the club's precarious financial state, it was a very difficult job. The problem is we didn't seem to have anyone fully focused on increasing income, on selling. In the same way that some of us are still transfixed by St. Martin's exploits, some are also transfixed by the prodigious amounts of money Mark Austin raised for the club. Steve Hayes made many mistakes, sacking Austin was a very big one. We may never replace him.

The Couhigs and Palmer have already made it clear that raising the salary cap by increasing income is a priority, so it will be interesting to see if they do appoint a dedicated Sales/Commercial Manager, or do the job themselves.

• It’s times like this I do miss @marlowchair. I know I disagreed a fair bit with both what he said and, more specifically, how he said it, but he had a perspective on things that was always useful as a counter-balance. I’d be genuinely interested to hear his thoughts on where we currently are as a club (off the field).

Similarly I guess it would be interesting to hear from the Andy Harman camp. Are they comfortable with our current trajectory?

Quite rightly there is a lot of positivity around Rob Couhig and his team at the moment but I do miss the airing of arguments and discussions that raise questions which require thinking about.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    As @Fit2drop alluded in another thread, Michael attended nearly all of the Fans' Council meetings, in his own time, and was very open, surprisingly open sometimes, not ducking any questions and following up any points raised. It will be interesting to see if his replacement, if there is one, or Mark Palmer or Pete Couhig, if there isn't one, put in the same commitment.

Michael told me that his main job at the club was to keep costs under control, which is admirable, even if I felt the cost cutting went too far sometimes. Clearly he was under great pressure with the club's precarious financial state, it was a very difficult job. The problem is we didn't seem to have anyone fully focused on increasing income, on selling. In the same way that some of us are still transfixed by St. Martin's exploits, some are also transfixed by the prodigious amounts of money Mark Austin raised for the club. Steve Hayes made many mistakes, sacking Austin was a very big one. We may never replace him.

The Couhigs and Palmer have already made it clear that raising the salary cap by increasing income is a priority, so it will be interesting to see if they do appoint a dedicated Sales/Commercial Manager, or do the job themselves.

Was austin sacked? If so he did pretty well to move immediately to a better job at a bigger football club in qpr?

• I understand he was sacked.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I understand he was sacked.

That was my understanding too Steve.
    Met Mark a few times and whilst I didn't agreed with some of the things he did or how came across, his heart was certainly in the right place and did a lot during his time to raise funds that boosted the playing side of the business

• Clearly Couhigs making major decisions without owning the club. I’m sure I remember at the beginning Rob Couhig saying Michael Davis was doing a great job under difficult circumstances. What a difference a few weeks make!! It will be very interesting to see the new structure and how it is focussed on generating income. What new people will have been brought in and at what cost? All adding to our debt.

• Not sure exactly how long Mr Davies has been with the club, but what kind of settlements (in terms of months pay) is the norm, when this this kind of departure is implemented ?

• @davecz said:
    Clearly Couhigs making major decisions without owning the club. I’m sure I remember at the beginning Rob Couhig saying Michael Davis was doing a great job under difficult circumstances. What a difference a few weeks make!! It will be very interesting to see the new structure and how it is focussed on generating income. What new people will have been brought in and at what cost? All adding to our debt.

What is said and what is thought are often wildly different!

• The bloke never took criticism well. Always got on the defensive side and blamed others instead of accepting opinions. Not saying he didn't do a good job in certain areas but don't feel like this is a loss. In Bobby we trust.

• I liked the man, respected his effort,have no criticisms to make from my particular lofty perch and hope things go well for him wherever he ends up.

• Only had one contact with Mr Davies via email where within 15 mins he had me seated in one of the exec boxes for Bolton as I just had an operation few days previously and could not sit in my normal seat.Could not praise him enough for arranging this.

• I'll happily acknowledge he was a people person but he wasn't commercial in my opinion.

• Too nice probably. Wish him well whatever the future brings.

• Any man who fails to ensure ample crisp supplies is living on borrowed time at this club.

Inevitable.