Skip to content

Match day thread: Southend

Comments

• @glasshalffull Don't rise to the bait, clearly a WUM, or an utter idiot?

• I think you’re right.

• But then he praises the last ten minutes so perhaps he is genuine?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I thought Matt Bloomfield had a decent game.

I've said it

I also thought he was one of our best players against Bolton too.

Also, one reason we're conceding heaps of goals is that our defence gets so little protection. Gape, while a nice tackler and passer, isn't a protector, Pattison is pretty much an attacking midfielder, and Bloomfield charges around the pitch anywhere

• The Bayo Samuel strike force again didn’t look like it gelled. I know we have a lot of options up front but their pairing should only be as a very last resort. It was only when Samuel was replaced by Freeman that we looked likely to score again.

• Note to self to always bet on us when we go behind at home.

I’d love to know the stats around our ability to come back from behind to win over the last 3 seasons. Surely more wins from losing positions than almost any team in the country?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • First Two goals came out of nothing. Our two quality CBs had a terrible game today and I dont really think you can blame rocky for that. Third goal i never saw coming so not surprised he didn't. I'm amazed grimmer could still run as he put in a shift today and a lot of our attacks started with him. JJ's delivery also a bit hit and miss unfortunately. Pattison was quiet and i actually thought it took gape some time to get into the game. Bloomy has energy but creates little. So how we won that game I will never know.. but what a thriller. I would have taken a point at 3-3 but had a shaking suspicion we might nick it. Freeman added a bit of class...but we have to trust, as he said in his interview, that Gareth knows what he is doing. We were dead and buried and rose again a tribute to the players old and new out there today. I was surprised kashket was playing. Not now. I feel sorry for sarfend as they should have had the three points but being unbeaten is nice. Hope Kenny jackett left before the end!!????

• Thompson was a particularly big miss today. I think as bad as the defence was at times, the midfield wasn't combative enough to protect them properly. Did I hear Gareth saying he hopes early September for him? And Sido?

• @Shev said:
    Anyone doubting Freeman now?

Game changer

• @micra said:

@th100 said:

@micra said:
    Perhaps Blooms can have a rest at Kingsmeadow.

Blooms looked like he needed a rest after an hour or so again.

Indeed. To my old eyes he seemed to spend a lot of time running but rarely with the ball.

Has a great knack of looking busy and marking no one.Sorry can't defend Mr wycombe anymore.

• Gutted to have missed this one but there in spirit via ifollow.. If Sido can't be on the pitch then the next best place is in the commentary box where he was funny, excitable and insightful.

• @EssexWanderer said:
    Gutted to have missed this one but there in spirit via ifollow.. If Sido can't be on the pitch then the next best place is in the commentary box where he was funny, excitable and insightful.

He was class! I loved his frank explanation of the various shenanigans all teams use to their advantage. Also, his frantic urging of the players to put the ball where he wanted was fantastic.

• Just as a guide, Pattison - who went off on 56 and was quiet by his usual standards - only had three fewer touches than Bloomfield. Blooms doesn't show for the ball enough as a midfielder and looks off the pace.

• Amazed at some of the curmudgeonly comments here given the result. We are not Man City, we will rarely if ever cruise to easy victory. Some of the defending was questionable at best but by God, what fun afternoon. It's what we, as fans of lower league clubs, live for. Those snatched wins, those crqzy, unexpected magical moments. Enjoy them when they happen. There'll be a grim 0-1 defeat around the corner.

• Spot on, @MindlessDrugHoover. This is also a very tight division, where anyone can beat anyone else, and we see examples of that every week. The win is the main thing, and let's face it - would any of us have preferred an easy 2-0 win today, over that mad, joyous finale? Which would we remember ten years from now?

• Precisely @Shev. We forget the full, easy wins and defeats and remember games like today, Carlisle etc for years after. Even the games like Macclesfield. Without the faults and worries the victories are less enjoyable. Today was the clichéd rollercoaster and we won. It was brilliant. Save the moans for another time.

• Should have said dull, not full easy wins. Few and far between though they are.

• Missed this glorious comeback. At a wedding in deepest Cornwall where the bride is Plymouth and groom Man U. Although I’m pleased to say both are regulars at AP now. Result came in just before the speeches! I believe the phrase is “fucking get in”

• we score when we want, we are Wycombe Wanderers

• Hope Fred’s injury not too bad - didn’t see what happened there tbh but guessing a hamstring injury or something? Thought Wheeler did really well today and that Grimmer put in a good shift up and down the right hand side too. Agree with earlier comment that Allsop looked indecisive

• The last few matches have shown (to me at least) that our starting midfield three should always be Gape, Freeman and Thompson, when all are fit. The forward line and defence can rotate as required but I'd like to see us settle on those three in the middle as soon as we can. I think even Bloomfield might accept that he should now make way for Freeman. And I'm afraid I'm yet to be convinced by Alex Pattison - those on here advocating for him are, I think, basing it solely on his performance against Bolton U23s. He will make a useful stand-in for Freeman when our star man is unavailable - I'd also like to see Gardiner-Smith given the opportunity to stand in for one half of the Gape/Thompson axis before too long.

• Great finish to the game, never in doubt.

Few issues of balance and fitness in the team but this squad can work their way out of the issues they sometimes create for themselves, good spirit around the place generally at the moment, lets keep it going. Would be easy to dig out a few of the players, and not only the regular scapegoats but we've got solid players to come back in and are doing great overall.

A mention for all the people picking up 500 club plaques in the vere today who put their money where their mouth is. Easy to overlook with our American friends about. Who knows where we could end up , you've got to enjoy days like yesterday...well the last 20 minutes or so anyway.

• Can we have an easy, wrapped it up by half time kind of win

• @aloysius Pattison was brilliant against Fleetwood, the most impressive of the new signings for me.

• Then we can all leave the ground early @BuckinghamBlue!

• @Chris said:
    @aloysius Pattison was brilliant against Fleetwood, the most impressive of the new signings for me.

He's a good prospect, nice passer, crosser, needs a goal or two in order to be chosen further forward.

• @mooneyman said:
    Then we can all leave the ground early @BuckinghamBlue!

I’d stay but fewer shuffling plebs hindering my magnificent egress doesn’t seem such a bad idea

• Gareth post-match.

"It took a change of shape second half. I had to go 4-4-2, which we haven't played this season. I felt that if we started imposing ourselves on them with two forwards, I think it worked a lot better. Lo and behold Scotty comes up with a fantastic winner when I’ve given him his chance. It’s been a while since he started. He’s been patient, a great kid. I love them all, I wish I could start them all. We’ve still got people waiting for minutes. He’s took his chance today and it’s good timing with Fred’s groin injury, I think, when he came off.”

It was so good to see Scotty finally playing in a central position, not on the wing where his natural finishing skills are wasted. Both goals were really well taken, he reacted so quickly to Wheeler's driven at him, to get it under control and slot home. The second was even better, and looks better each time I view it. After Freeman's quick thinking pass there was still a lot to do. Scotty was well wide of the goal but the cut back and, crucially, the quickly taken shot, were sublime. We all know that the best strikers shoot early.

He could have had two more, the toe poke over and the near post shot saved by the keeper, when the wide open far corner was beckoning. In the first half he dithered taking a shot in the box, when first time was called for, and I thought then that he was lacking a little confidence. He just needs game time and I was impressed with how strongly he finished the game, considering he is lacking minutes, and how much chasing he did during the game.

In the recent poll I was one of the 2.7% (one of two?) who thought he would finish as top scorer this season. If we played him most of the time, centrally with the right partner, he can be our top scorer. He is a natural finisher, perhaps our only one. I would like to see our style of play built around him, feeding him the balls in the box where he is so dangerous.

• @Chris said:
    @aloysius Pattison was brilliant against Fleetwood, the most impressive of the new signings for me.

Given we appear settled on a tight midfield three, which would be your first choice triplet if all players were fit?