Skip to content

"How time flies": Crowd Forecast and Speculation - Southend (H) - Sat 24th Aug 2019 - Match 5

2»

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    4871 with 702 who used to know Dr Feelgood you know.

is it too late revise to 4871 with 502 who thought it all went to pot when Wilko left?

• @Wendoverman - it is done - I nearly always approve of turning opposition fans into Wycombe fans - especially in their hundreds, so long as the prediction for the total remains the same.

At 19:00 - 30 predictions. We say 4431 chairpersons of reknown and 645 shrimpers.

• 5,016 including 629 crusty Asians.

• 4761 with 632 Southend please

• 5240 with 720 fellow Col U haters

• 4992 with 622 from Southend.

• 4,196. Very poor. Not enough people for who WWFC is a priority.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    4,196. Very poor. Not enough people for who WWFC is a priority.

It is concerning isn’t it.

• Then again, we just won 4-3!!!

• It is a poor crowd, but this is possibly the worst weekend of the year for attendances. I wonder what percentage of Wycombe fans would love to have been there today, but couldn't due to holidays, family commitments, or playing/watching cricket? Personally I'm itching to get to a game, but will probably have to wait a few more weeks till I can get down to Adams Park.

More games like today and I'm sure crowds will improve come September.

• Reading Festival too.

• GA in his post match interview talked about 10,000 for the Lincoln game. Tongue very firmly in cheek no doubt!
    There has been talk of that game being postponed however because of Lincoln’s international commitments. - a possibility enhanced now that they are apparently about to sign a player on loan who is a current international, bringing their internationals to three.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

Very worrying in my opinion considering the investment being made in the squad and match day experience by Couhig with the clubs money.

To break even we need average gates of around 7000 with the current spending. We were probably £50000 short of breaking even today!

• It was a poor turnout indeed. Not worried just yet though. As said though, many people are on holiday, on family trips with the kids off school, festivals etc etc.... And southend are never going to pull the biggest crowd in, no offense to them. We are a league higher than we have been for most seasons in recent years, the investments are coming in, the team is looking great, the early results are beyond promising. I believe gates will increase significantly.... As significantly as the investors hope / need.... As significantly that as a club we hope for / need.... Well... Only time will tell.

• It's August Bank Holiday weekend with great weather. Not a weekend to be bothered about low attendances. 7,000 crowds are a pipe dream until teams come with full away supports .

• Tot> @Right_in_the_Middle said:

It's August Bank Holiday weekend with great weather. Not a weekend to be bothered about low attendances. 7,000 crowds are a pipe dream until teams come with full away supports .

Totally agree average crowds of 7000 are a pipe dream. But with our current costs and the extra money Couhig is spending on our behalf then break even must be very close to these numbers.

I wonder if he’ll shut us down like he did with the previous soccer team he ran that he couldn’t make a profit from???

On a positive note I think I won the crowd forecast today

• @wwfcblue said:
    Tot> @Right_in_the_Middle said:

It's August Bank Holiday weekend with great weather. Not a weekend to be bothered about low attendances. 7,000 crowds are a pipe dream until teams come with full away supports .

Totally agree average crowds of 7000 are a pipe dream. But with our current costs and the extra money Couhig is spending on our behalf then break even must be very close to these numbers.

I wonder if he’ll shut us down like he did with the previous soccer team he ran that he couldn’t make a profit from???

On a positive note I think I won the crowd forecast today

Worth remembering Couhig doesn't own the club and currently adding to our debt if these events don't add more income than cost. I don't believe your assumption is correct On break even but this is hijacking a totally different thread so I'll stop there

• The crowd today felt very noticeably back holiday depleted. I’m sure if we keep up this kind of display on the pitch then 5000+ home fans is not unreasonable to expect for many games Sept/Oct onward

• edited August 2019

Indeed @wwfcblue is this week's winner - congratulations due for being closest to spotting the error we were all making. Excellent foresight.

Blue average, our collective average was out by 880, which is unusual and surprising.

I think a hot August Bank Holiday weekend is unusual enough and we were also in the unusual position of two successive Saturday home games.

I think we would enjoy a big gate for the visit of Lincoln, but if their own brand of shenanigans with international loanees comes off for them, then our next home Sat game won't be until Portsmouth on 21st September.

Anyone have any information on the number of shrimpers yesterday.

• Looked like around 500, but perhaps the club don't want to release it because that would make the home contingent look even worse.

• 532 Southend, according to COTN.
    3664 Wycombe.
    Perhaps because we are a so-called 'family' club, the school holidays and bank holidays have a greater effect.