Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• Is third in the third tier the highest we’ve ever been? I’m getting vertigo.

• @drcongo, I think we were 2nd early in our first season at this level, 94-95.

• Without getting too excited, I'm wondering if we can be a decent force in this division.

Excellent options up front, still missing arguably our best centre mid and centre back performers of last season, plus so many new faces getting into the flow.

A last min winner is always terrific, and without Mr Kettle's intervention,we'd have not needed to go that late to see them off.

• @th100 said:
    The Trevor Kettle show is rubbish. It shouldn't get renewed for another season, but it will.

But: GET IN!!!

Trev does enjoy a penalty doesn’t he ?

• You'd have thought he'd have had enough after awarding four and seeing it go to penalties on Tuesday.

• Fred really is a class apart, isn't he. Think he might overtake Sido as my favourite player at this rate.

Absolute scenes at the end. Brilliant, brilliant game and win. COYB!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Fred really is a class apart, isn't he. Think he might overtake Sido as my favourite player at this rate.

Absolute scenes at the end. Brilliant, brilliant game and win. COYB!

Thought he was on fire in the first half, but dropped off when he was moved wings in the second.
    An absolutely key player that'll have a huge say in where we finish this year.

• Second penalty for them was never one. Their player would never have reached the ball. Kettle blew for everything as soon as anyone went to ground.

Great win.

• @bigred87 said:
    Did he celebrate?

Yes he went mental, and again at full time?

• @Steve_Peart said:
    @drcongo, I think we were 2nd early in our first season at this level, 94-95.

Didn't we go 2nd after winning at the Manor Ground just after Christmas?

• edited August 2019

Wheeler was excellent when he came on - composed, sharp, classy. A great complement for Fred on the opposite side with his deadly eye for goal, sharp shot, power and commitment. I liked Smyth's trickery and acceleration as well - that's quite a selection headache for Ainsworth. Samuel chased well and deserves to keep his starting place ahead of Bayo - whose miss in front of an open goal after all that hard work by Fred was pretty shocking for a player of his experience.

I liked the way we played on the ground with Samuel in the middle and with so much goal threat across the front line all we really needed was a creative midfielder who could feed them. Freeman was a revelation when he came on, lifting the whole team and supplying the perfect ball for Wheeler's winner. I wasn't so convinced by either Bloomfield or Pattison today - the latter looked slightly out of shape and slow, the former tired far too early. I think one of the two sat alongside Gape, behind Freeman, would work but not so much as played today.

Phillips showed his inexperience in some of his positioning and I think Stewart could have perhaps been a little more commanding alongside him. I assume Darius Charles has been signed because El Abd's injury is more serious than we've been told. I'd like to see him alongside Stewart next week, with Phillips dropping to the bench.

Finally, JJ's dead balls were all pretty poor today - penalty excepted! I'm going to be charitable and blame the clash of heads early on.

• @aloysius - I agree that it was a very poor effort from Bayo when set up by Fred. However, I think Bayo swung the match our way as the Dons defence went into panic mode as soon as he came on.

• Good news, heard Sido should be back available for selection next week.

• Paul Tisdale's post match interview sound fairly complimentary...

• Excellent substitutions today. Freeman, Bayo and Wheeler all played a key part in swinging the game back in our favour in the last 15 mins.

I was particularly impressed with Freeman, to the extent that I think he had a case for MOTM. Really used the ball well and the ability to go on either foot opened up space at the end of the game.

Bizarre how well Wheeler gets up to head the ball. Not a big guy but hangs in the air forever. Ping the ball to him and he looks almost guaranteed to win the header against the full back, which is a valuable extra weapon for us.

• Aside from throwing all morality out the window when he went from a proper club like Exeter to MK, I've always liked Tisdale. Seems an intelligent, honest manager who plays good football.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Good news, heard Sido should be back available for selection next week.

Yes, spoke to him in the car park after the game, and he said that to me as well.

• @eric_plant said:

@Steve_Peart said:
    @drcongo, I think we were 2nd early in our first season at this level, 94-95.

Didn't we go 2nd after winning at the Manor Ground just after Christmas?

@eric_plant, I've had a delve and we went second after our Friday evening 2-2 draw at Cambridge Utd on 16 Dec 1994. We were third after out next match but went second again with the 2-0 win at Oxford Utd on 27 Dec. That was the high point. By mid-March were were 11th but eventually finished sixth, three points from the fifth place play-off place.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Slightly unsavoury scenes on hillbottom road, MK fans playing at football factory as Wycombe stand back and laugh.

I stopped to let a few people across the road - turns out they were MK and thanked me by shouting abuse. Some scrawny little things bless!

• Also, two mentions for me - that goal line clearance from Gapey and Alex Samuel up top, thought he played really well in the first half. Chased everything and held the ball well, showing great strength.

• What a fantastic day. Up there as one of my favourite games at AP.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We live a few miles from the stade de franchise. I fancy my Sunday run might require a quartered shirt and a route along “Stadium Way”

Impressive today. I think Samuel knowing he has players around him who can get into dangerous positions with pace means he can concentrate on winning balls and feeding them without worrying about having to score himself. He has the makings of that rare breed, a front player willing to work himself into the ground whilst others get the glory. He was outstanding in that role today and I can see him and Fred terrorising defences. And Smyth. I like Smyth. We could score a lot of goals this campaign with a little luck.

• Those of us with the early bird tickets to the Freeman bandwagon are leaning back with a cigar, saying "I love it when a plan comes together..."

• I did think Franchise played an interesting system today and, sadly, will probably have a reasonable season. Seemed like what started as a 5-3-2 became 9 men in our half when they came forward, with the centre backs pushing wide to double up with the wings backs and Martin left on his own as a sort of sweeper. It did leave them over-committed at times, which we exploited on the break for Fred's goal. Nonetheless, interesting to see a team try an unusual shape.

• Surprised that it was Martin who was left as the sweeper CB. From his time with us and when I saw him in the PL I'd have thought he would have been employed as one of the over lapping CBs.

• I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if GA ever goes Tisdale would be my man. Came across really well despite being obviously gutted by the result. Many similarities with our own manager

• What a comeback.

In the end I think MK Don's set up could not cope when defending but effective attacking. I thought Allsop was very good today. I feel Phillips will grow into the team. Gape's passing was divine. Front 3 from the start was effective throughout and after substitutions.

Bring on Fleetwood Town!

• Except for a maddening twenty minutes that was a great game and we deserved the win for the last fifteen minutes alone. Perhaps mascoll is putting pressure on JJ as I thought the first half was the best he has played for a while...though not keen on the corner thing they were experimenting with! I thought Phillips was decent alongside stewart myself but why did jj push the geezer over when the ball was going out? Giving two pens away is not advisable. Smyth is nice, tricky and fiesty. Fred was Fred and an excellent goal while Wheeler looked class when he came on. But it's not bad Samuel working himself into the ground and still having bayo to amble on. Unbelievable miss or not the big man makes a difference. Pattinson was quiet but still had a few nice touches. Gape struggled a bit i thought. The problem for me is Bloomfield who really only has 45 good minutes in him before fading. He was a passenger hardly touching the ball for a good ten minutes before he was hooked. Freeman looked far more threatening and exciting when he came on. Wheeler goal reminded me of CMS winning the Scunthorpe game for us...hopefully he gets more game time as a result than Craig did!! I thought MK were a good side, especially on the break, so hopefully some of the 'it was only Bolton' realists might even think we have a chance to do well this season.

• edited August 2019

On 3CR Gareth talked about how they’ve had to be careful with Wheeler because he joined late in pre-season, having not had much game time for QPR.

I think we’ll see him in increasing amounts in the coming games.